1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General I need Instructions

Discussion in 'General' started by Dragondm6, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Dragondm6

Dragondm6 New Member

Hello,

I've never used a template before and I just can't get it right. I used winzip, so I have the index.htm, the style.css, and the psd file plus all the picture files. Why can't I just view page source and copy and paste... it doesn't work. How do I get the page to be in the format that it's supposed to be in? What are the normal steps.... and if its cut and paste from the style.css file, how do I know where to place the code?

Any help would be wonderful. Thanks.

2. paul374

paul374 New Member

hi,

First of you need to get web hosting like here (sign up for free pack)

http://awardspace.com

Then you create a SUB DOMAIN! (free)

Then from there you go to file manager! And upload the index.html and the style.css.

Then you edit the template as you go along (writing and images) to fill in the images you go to an image uploading site (look here)

http://imageshack.us

upload the images you got there and fill them in, in the template an image in the template will look something like this!

images/bg

or

images/logo

and such

so if it says all the html then an image if the image is for example:

images/bg

then you go to the image uploader and go into your images folder and upload the image that says "bg" then you copy and paste it into the place were it says images/bg.

i hope i was'nt speaking in like dutch there was i?

PS: if you need any help pm me!

3. Dragondm6

Dragondm6 New Member

no, you weren't speaking in dutch. I am familiar with html just never used a template before. All the picture files were .gif and I know some browsers don't like .gif so I changed them and the code to .jpg.

My website is already hosted, and I shouldn't have to go to a image uploading site. I just move to the .jpg's to my web host via FTP, and put the right code in the page. SO i am confused a little about your instructions for loading pictures.

I just loaded the .css file and that fixed my problem. Thanks.

4. paul374

paul374 New Member

lol ok m8 i was justing giving you instructions from what i do.:)

5. Scoooooty

Scoooooty Member

This is very wrong. Most websites use GIF images instead of jpg images because they load alot faster because of there smaller file size.

I have not heard of any browser that dont like GIF images and if you do happen to use one that does I suggest you delete it :)