1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General document vs file vs web pages

Discussion in 'General' started by greenbelt, Apr 16, 2010.

1. greenbelt

greenbelt New Member

Another issue that I'm confused about.

Is it true that each Web Page in a given Web Site is a separate .html document or file?

Each document or image is a file? A folder is another term for directory?

2. enigma1

enigma1 New Member

Virtually it is. Physically it can be anything as the server can host an application that dynamically generates html pages. For example a single physical file can generate thousands of html pages. So you may see a thousand different URLs but on the server end there is just one file that creates them all.

Folders as they appear in the address bar of your browser again can be anything. Can be physical folders or virtual ones generated on the fly by the server application.

Images can be different. You can have a single resource file for the template, that includes multiple images and then utilized with a CSS stylesheet by altering the coordinates of which section each image should display. Typically is done to reduce the number of connections on a server.
    Another case is with a thumbnailer or image generator where a single script may generate additional images on the fly to fit an image in a given set of dimensions reducing server bandwidth. Now for product catalogs or image galleries or individual text pages where you see images as part of the content typically separate physical image files are used.

3. greenbelt

greenbelt New Member

Thanks for the speedy reply. I didn't realize that there is much more to a web page than I ever imagined.

So little time ... so much more to learn!