1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General Step-by-step help please !

Discussion in 'General' started by Expatriate, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Expatriate

Expatriate New Member

I need a step-by-step help with my template. I'm trying to understand how the whole thing works.

I downloaded the Media template and found three files: psd, css, and html.

For each of these files I use:
    psd: photoshop 7.0
    css: wordpad/notepad OR Front page
    html: Front Page

Can anyone please explain to me how each one of these files is related to another ? as I understand, the css determines the layers in the html file and specifies their properties, including the images inside these layers. I have no idea what the role of the psd file is !

I first tried to modify the pictures in the webtemplate. I replaced one of the images in the images folder with another image of mine with the exact same name. When I opened the html file via IE, neither the previous image nor the new one shows up. It shows blank in the place of the image !!

I tried opening the psd file via photoshop and modify the layers, adding images and/or texts. When I reopened the html file nothing was changed. It seemed like the psd file is not, in any ways, linked or associated with neither the css nor the html file.

Can you please go in a step by step explanation on how to modify the template, primarily the images in it ?

Thanks in advance

2. lmfrench

lmfrench New Member

No the PSD is not linked in anyway to the html. That is for people who know how to modify the image in Photoshop, then they would have to re-slice the image so that the images in the image folder would be over written...

however, the image should have been replaced in the html if you kept the image the same size, named it the exact same thing and saved it in the images folder.

In order to change the images in the template you would have to either edit the PSD and hope that it came pre-sliced (click on "show slices" to see if it is already sliced) then you will have to name each image again, or you will have to put the new names into your HTML/CSS. Another way you can do change the images is to open each jpg or gif in Photoshop, and try to modify each image seperately which is a long drawn out process that sometimes is virtually impossible.

3. Expatriate

Expatriate New Member

Thanks for the help

What do you mean by same size ? same dimensions or same file size ?