1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Websites Reformated my site. Feedback welcomed.

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by eVentureBiz, Jan 3, 2008.

1. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

I have changed my site's template to resemble my blog. Feedback welcomed.

Thanks

www.eventurebiz.com

2. Linx

Linx Member

Hi! Good work!
    But I've noticed, on the page /blog , in the "Email Updates" section, the "Subscribe Now!" button is positioned too high, IMO.
    So, everything looks very neatly :)

3. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Hello Linx, thanks for the feedback. Are you saying maybe I should put a little space between the search box and the Subscribe Now! button?

4. Linx

Linx Member

Yes, that would be great )
    And maybe move the phrase "enter your email" to the left, i.e. left align. It will make the block more accurate.

5. beckybee

beckybee New Member

This is only a suggestion, but for me, the Blog Spotlight was a little busy. Perhaps you could put bullets in to show the start of each topic, or shorten the phrasing and let people click on each item to find out more. For example, you could write:

* Before Designing Your Website
    * Unconventional Thinking
    * A Lesson Learned
    * What is Social Media
    etc etc

These tell the user generally what they are about without being too long and overwhelming to read. Like I said, it's just a thought.

6. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

The format of my site

Thank you for the comments Linx and beckybee. I really do appreciate them. About changing the Blog Spotlight, I think you have a good point. I know my blog titles are a bit long and I hate that but I seem to not be able to get around them. I will take your points into consideration. I just need to make sure they are clickable, you know.

I have one question for both of you, if you don't mind. This is one of my biggest concerns on my site. Even though I own a web hosting company, I have decided to NOT make it look like every other web hosting company's website. I don't have strange people looking at you (from a template), I don't blast "Specials" or some other advertisement, and basically have designed eVentureBiz.com to resemble a blog.

What do you think of this approach?

Thanks

7. beckybee

beckybee New Member

Okay, keep in mind I'm only one person, be here are a few more of my thoughts.
    Firstly, I like the font for eVenturebiz in the welcome line. Perhaps you could use that font for the logo in the upper left corner? Or perhaps just make the logo a little bigger. I liked the wording in your logo but I thought it could be a little bigger to really stand out.
    As for your question about how you've approached the site, I don't think there will be any confusion as to what your website is about. The menu buttons make it clear as well as the first thing we see in the navigation bar on the left under 'Get Online' so I think you've done that well.
    Something is still missing for me though and I can't put my finger on it. I think perhaps it's the fact that when I first load the page, I see a lot of white. I really liked the way you laid out "The Tools We Use" and the other topics underneath that, perhaps there's a way for us to see more of that without having to scroll? Or perhaps you could find a way to encorporate some pricings. A lot of people will look for pricing almost immediately, before reading on to much more.
    Like I said though, I'm only one person. These are just my thoughts. At the end of the day if you had good pricing I would choose your company over others whether you had big blaring pictures or not.

8. Linx

Linx Member

Hi, John!
    Well... what I think of your project is:
    Firstly, I agree with beckybee that font for the logo in the upper left corner should be a little bigger (just like blog's logo font, it's perfect).
    Secondly, I see that your site is not typical, and that is what I appreciate most about it, there are no importunate images and adds. But there are much white space, for ex page /relaxcafe/: you may stretch the heading and enlarge its font to get rid of much white space, of course it's my opinion.
    One more thing: in your blog the blue color appears (blue headings and blue menu bar) whereas it is absent in the other part of your site.
    But in general I like it very much.

I have a couple of notes concerning GUI and not only:
    1. Page /blog/site-map/: the second title "Posts" is unnecessary, imho.
    2. Page /blog/about/: in the second paragraph, the second sentence: there is no space between the words "and" & "founder"
    3. The link "About eVentureBiz" doesn't work (page is not found)

9. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Excellent suggestions, everyone. And I'm happy you all agree my company's site is nice, that's nice to hear after A LOT of hard work. I personally maintain the content and layout because I know what I want.

Over the years I have learned "white space" is good on websites, but once you pointed it out to me, I realized maybe I put too much in the beginning. White space is good, but so is telling the visitor what I need them to know on the landing page without them having to scroll down. So, could you please tell me if this works:
    http://www.eventurebiz.com/indexcopy.htm

I also took your suggestion and enlarged my header. The blue menu and topics on the blog I did purposely. If you notice, the menu links change when you are on my blog, so I wanted it to be known this menu is "something different." I wanted my blog to be the same, but a little different, does that make sense?

Linx:
    I removed the About eVentureBiz in the footer. I deleted that page because my home page basically is like an about page and I didn't see the point in creating a similar page. I just forgot to remove the footer link to it . . . thanks for finding that. I also fixed the spacing problem in my blog's About Me section. I am working on removing the word "Posts" in my All Posts page, but it's difficult because the script I used is written above my head - but I'll find it eventually.

beckybee:
    Thanks for the feedback. I took some of your suggestions. Let me know what you think about the new layout listed above. I do have a question. What would you consider "Good Pricing" and with what few things that price might include? I know I'm not the cheapest there is but I do think I'm either average or just below that. When developing my services, the company I compared my plans to were Yahoo! Web Hosting (among others).

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the honesty.

10. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Hey abidan. In case you guys didn't know, she convinced me to change the entire template of my site hehehe, but it was probably the best change I had made; so thanks abidan!!!

The spacing looks good on my laptop but a bit "airy" on my PC's bigger monitor. I'm trying to find a happy median LOL. I'll play with some color changes over the next few days. That might be good as it may help differentiate eVentureBiz.com from my blog.

11. Linx

Linx Member

great

Hi, eVentureBiz!
    Just saw your index copy, it's GREAT, I really like it, more than the previous version!
    Keep a good work! :)
    Tell us when you finish with color changes.

12. beckybee

beckybee New Member

Now you're cooking! I like the new front page layout. Now it really grabs at first sight. Also, the logo looks better the size it is now. Great job!

13. emilypal

emilypal New Member

[FONT=&quot]I think your web site isn’t overwhelmed with graphics and visual effect, so your site visitors can concentrate on its information content. Your site has a clear hierarchy and it’s well structured. I also liked user friendly navigation bar. The Purpose of your site becomes clear to everyone who visits it thanks to a strong introductory paragraph. Homepage contains a lot of useful text links to other pages of your site. To my opinion, you’ve done a great job and I hope your web site will be flourishing. [/FONT]

14. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Thank you emilypal. It's nice to see that site visitors are understanding where I'm coming from and that being different is ok.

Thank you for the nice words.