1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General Publishing with a Photoshop Template

Discussion in 'General' started by babs, Jul 3, 2007.

1. babs

babs New Member

I have been all over the web trying to get some answers and I come here and see everyone ask the same question - so at least I know I'm not alone!

Background - I taught myself FrontPage 1998(?), used to understand basic html (am a little rusty now [​IMG]) - now have FP 2003, Dreamweaver (never used yet), CS2 with PhotoShop, Image Ready and GoLIve.

I have built some fairly basic websites in the past - they were primarily for volunteer organizations so needed to be functional not flashy. I used (and liked) shared borders and tables to create my structure. I like being able to update things at will - adding pages, changing content and such.

Now I have a business where I want to have a more professional website - but didn't want to spend tons of money and be tied to someone else updating it. I found a couple of templates that I liked. They come in psd files and my daughter is helping me make the color changes and whatnot.

But nowhere in the template site do I see any tutorial on how to actually get it up on to the web! I would love to be able to use FP (since I am familiar with it) but am also open to DW or GoLive.

The template has a top and left side banner which would lend themselves to shared borders - do I somehow isolate them out and do that or do I use the photoshop template and redo each page as a whole. That would seem labor intensive to have to keep inserting the hyperlinks on the menu items (why I like shared borders!). Speaking of hyperlinks - I keep seeing the question on how to make the text editable with hyperlinks.

I did see a tip somewhere where the person indicated that you take the photoshop file into Image Ready and optimize it - but aside from recognizing the names of the programs I'm not too sure what that means!

I would love some tips and how tos - but I'm even open to just pointing me in the right direction to find my answers - a book, a website. I'm a pretty good self learner - I just hate the feeling of shooting in the dark!

It just seems odd to me that there are all these template sites - a ton of people asking the same question - but searches have proved fruitless to actually uncover an instruction sheet!