1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Websites I would appreciate your opinion

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by deyounggerry, May 8, 2009.

1. deyounggerry

deyounggerry New Member

Hello. I would appreciate any opinions on my site. Only online since January 15. It is Pro Self Defense Products.
    Thank you for your time. :rolleyes:

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Nice to see you gave a few reviews this time.
    I saw on the contact page Pueblo co. 81004 should be Pueblo CO. 81004
    Shipping page your font does not match the rest of the site.
    For me there is too many shades of blue - everything starts to blend into the background. Why make Self Defense look like it's part of the Dark Side?
    Take out the big blue "Welcome to PSDP" or at least remove the words and reduce the line height down to about a 1/4"
    I would take out the 1st paragraph of the Welcome section and put it into the header with the Logo, as you have alot of white space up there. Start the welcome section with the second paragraph, it has more punch and brings the store into view. As it stands now it looks like sites from templates of 10 years ago, where you had to scroll. People these days are like sheep and must be hearded to where they need to go and told what to do. People these days do not read - they skim the white space, why because they can not read and think anymore. Thats Your Job to do it for them. You have less than 3 seconds to make them stay on your page and look around. The type of template you are using leaves you little to work with short of knowing php code, so make the most of it. Work part of the first paragraph into your header Logo - again you now have to much wasted white space. Yours is after all a store not a blog.

Hope this helps.

3. deyounggerry

deyounggerry New Member

Thanks

Thanks Iskey. I appreciate that you really spent some time looking. I have had reviews by others in the past that weren't near as constructive. I am very new to this whole thing and trying to do the best I can with this website. I just started 6 months ago and before that I was a construction worker for 26 years. I will take everything to heart and have a hard look at your suggestions. You can't beat free advice from a Pro.
    Again, Thanks a million.:) :)

4. deyounggerry

deyounggerry New Member

I thought I'd check in. If you are passing by ishkey can you have another look. The dark side is not as dark. I utilized the header like you recommended, fixed Pueblo Co on the contact page, changed the font on the shipping page and made a few other pages. Your opinion of the changes would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

5. ishkey

see if this header pic works better, i added the words to your logo. the site is comming along. now i want to stay and look around, the item pics work.
    this may work beter for shipping page. I used to ship international there is good money in that market. Unless you really can not due to regulations.

Attached Files:

6. deyounggerry

deyounggerry New Member

Hi ishkey. The problem with shipping is inherent in the type of products we offer. Some are illegal even in some states here at home. Even pepper spray has to be ground delivered as it is considered a HASMAT. Also the UK has strict laws about anything as far as weapons, even of the defensive sort. The markup on many of these that we offer is so small that we lose a little even on shipping in the continental U.S. It's really not worth the time and effort to learn all the international laws to market them worldwide for a small outfit like ours. I saved your file and will try it and see how it works for me. I really appreciate all the time and trouble you have spent for me.
    Thanks again

7. ishkey

one little fix that shows in your logo/header
    Welcome to Pro Self defense Products
    Capital D
    How well I know about shipping and HASMAT.
    I closed my shipping biz down last year after 11 years.
    I would not be loosing on shipping. You are in biz to supply a product and make money. Everyone seems to have the wal-mart mind set about low prices and all customers want it for free.
    Not sure how you are setup dropship or inventory -
    Flat fee shipping is the simple way to do it, but over the long haul when you evaluate it you loose money over time.
    USPS has Small/Med/Lrg Flat-Rate Box rates, $4.95/10.35/13.95 add insurance and tracking and only at the small rate you come out ahead.
    UPS - can be a nitemare.
    Any way since you are now on the net you are missing important new laws which went into affect last year. Look at this link and you will see what you are missing. http://www.laplacitaimports.com/policies.html
    Damages and Claims - UPS will make your life a living he#%
    Returns should be stated put all 3 on the shipping page.

8. deyounggerry

deyounggerry New Member

A friend of mine once said "I never could type". Sound like someone you know? Actually, I noticed the d before I got back to the thread. Always good to be human.
    We are set up with a drop shipper so he controls the shipping. He uses UPS mostly. I have the option when I order between them and USPS, but I choose them because they send my customer as well as me an email with the tracking number. I used his shipping and return policies on my shipping page. I also used some from the site you clued me in on. Thank You.

9. hammel

hammel New Member

I will take everything to heart and have a hard look at your suggestions.

10. GDSweb.ca

GDSweb.ca Moderator/Developer

The only things I would suggest is updating the 'Copyright 2006' and making sure you have a Valid Markup=)

xHTML = 35 Errors, 126 warning(s)
    CSS = 28 Errors

Good Luck!