1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General I edited PSD file, Now what? Please help.

Discussion in 'General' started by vlujan, Nov 14, 2007.

1. vlujan

vlujan New Member

I am very much a newbie to all of this stuff but have been reading a lot on this site, and am learning. So here is what I think I have figured out so far:

I downloaded the hardware store template, unzipped it, and have successfully been able to upload the html file into my nvu html editor and then upload it to my webhost and it is successfully online at www.silverscreenusa.com, but some of the graphics did not up load correctly as it is somewhat different in my editor than it is online. I then have even figured out how to edit some things on the psd file with photoshop 7.0. and save it to my computer. However, when I re-publish my website from nvu to the internet, nothing ever changes. So after I change the psd file and save it, how do I get that version up to my nvu editor and then to the internet? Right now I am only uploading my html file into my nvu editor, so do I need to learn how to upload the entire batch of files to my nvu? (.html, .psd, .css, etc). I mean, can someone explain what to do next after i change psd file and also what the all those files are for and how they work together? Thank you so much

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

It's my understanding that in photoshop and psd files is that you make your basic picture and the there is a slice command in photo shop so you can create individual pics like you see in the image directory. When all these images come together in your site the should line up looking like your psd file. This is the magic of the slice command. The page loads faster and allows you to make other page similar to your main page but say leaving items out.

3. vlujan

vlujan New Member

Ok, so after I slice the psd file, I will then have individual pics that I can load into my images directory. Then, after my html is pointing to the correct (updated) image files, then my site will look the way it is supposed to? Oh, and what is the .css file/coding for?

4. ishkey

Style Sheets Can Save a Lot of Work

Styles sheets define HOW HTML elements are to be displayed, just like the font tag and the color attribute in HTML 3.2. Styles are normally saved in external .css files. External style sheets enable you to change the appearance and layout of all the pages in your Web, just by editing one single CSS document!
    CSS is a breakthrough in Web design because it allows developers to control the style and layout of multiple Web pages all at once. As a Web developer you can define a style for each HTML element and apply it to as many Web pages as you want. To make a global change, simply change the style, and all elements in the Web are updated automatically.
    Take a look at this lihk it will really help.:cool:
    http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_intro.asp

5. vlujan

vlujan New Member

Thanks so much. That does help with understanding the .css file. I really appeciate it!

6. ishkey

Happy coding....