1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General How To Edit?!?

Discussion in 'General' started by tda, Jan 15, 2008.

1. tda

tda New Member

How do I edit the templates once I have unzipped the files? I am very new to this!

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Notepad works or one of the many HTML editors google to find one you like free or purchase one.

3. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Probably the most popular programs are Microsoft Frontpage and Macromedia's Dreamweaver.

4. tda

tda New Member

Ok, this might seem so dumb, but how do I transfer the info over to the notepad? I have extracted the files and now don't know what to do with them.

5. Graciella

Graciella New Member

Simple open notepad then click on File - Open and find file that you want to load.
    Then load file and it will appear into your notepad. Then play with it, save it and always make backup just in case that you miss something up.

Good luck

6. augsep14

augsep14 New Member

I see her/his confusion - I'm lost too as a newbie.

When you unzip the file, you are left with an index - a css file - images folder, with all kinds of images, etc..... So which file do you use? Obviously the Style sheet (css) needs to be uploaded correct? Nothing really needs to be changed in there, but what about the index sheet? That's confusing me....
    HELP?

7. augsep14

augsep14 New Member

Also, when I upload it, I'm using NVU - when I hit publish, it uploads text, but not the background, etc... I uploaded BOTH the css (style sheet) and the index.html - all I see is blank white page with normal text....the beautiful template with the way it looked is gone now..... anyone out there that knows what I'm doing wrong?
    I even tried going into my FTP manager with my host (1and1) and upload it that way - and bypassed NVU, and it doesn't work that way either..... oh I hate 1and1's templates..... I need help - I know most of you on this forum are genius, so I'm hoping one of you will help me figure this out!
    Thanks in advance!

8. Rnbvibez1

Rnbvibez1 New Member

it might be your browser but it any case try follow

have you got any of your friends to view it to ?

tbh there could be lots of reasons erm try designing a page with a coloured backround and some writing(without a css style sheet) upload that with ur ftp (core ftp) i use name it index.html and see what happens.i find that css can be a right pain i normaly use just html on its own using tables and frames but recently i started using CSS erm aswell make sure your index is directing to your css by default it should be in the same directory but you might need to look it up

if that doesnt fix the problem get back to me and il see what i can do i have a couple of other ideas

if you need hosting or any thing else feel free to reply aswell

9. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

augsep14, it would be helpful if you could send the web address over to us, that way we could take a look at your code. If your website looks perfect on your computer before you upload it and then after you upload everything (index, css, images) and you basically only see text, this 99% of the time is a problem with referencing your css.

Take a look at your index.html code near the top. You'll probably see a line that references the style.css. Make sure the path is pointing to your style.css and not something like file://mycomputer/My Documents/style.css

Also, if you're unhappy with 1and1 I own a web hosting company that is a lot different than most, if not all, hosting companies. It's more like a social media web hosting company. I get personally involved with my clients to help them.

Anyway, if that doesn't fix the problem, send your link to us so we can take a look.

Take care,