1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Others how can I get the message form to forward to my address?

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by vshelford, Jan 9, 2013.

1. vshelford

vshelford New Member

Hi - I've been adapting the "rent-a-helicopter" template for the use of our community association, and the message form would be very useful, but I can't find where or how to add our forwarding information, so it comes to the right people. Probably just cross-eyed from staring at the CSS file, so I'll just apologize in advance like a good little Canadian...

2. Mimoun

Mimoun Administrator Staff Member Director Verified Member

Here are 4 ways to do it:

1) Use the free online website builder Wix.

By far the easiest and fastest way.
    All you need is an email address. No programming or complex form copy pasting code needed.
    https://freewebsitetemplates.com/freewebsite/

Watch this 30 seconds how to video:

(Full disclosure Free Website Templates is a partner of Wix)

2) MySQL and PHP.

Good if you know some basic programming.
    Hundreds of free scripts to choose from which can be a good thing and a bad thing at the same time.

3) Google forms.

Good if you have some knowledge about spreadsheets.
    Template example https://drive.google.com/previewtemplate?id=trix.pyU3xkckhpI1pdnEgn4aTVw&pli=1#
    Video how to 5 mins

4) Use an online contact form service like vCita.

Good for more complex contact forms like online scheduling and client relations management.
    There are many online services available but one I can recommend is vCita.
    Promo video here

vCita also can be used as an app with Wix.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  3. vshelford

vshelford New Member

Thanks very much, Mimoun!
    I agree that Wix would be the easiest, but this is going to be part of a much larger and already existing website. I doubt that the MySQL or PHP will work for me, as I only know HTML, not programming. I'll have a shot at the others, though - thanks!
    I have to admit I'm nervous about using a site like Wix to host a website, as I don't believe in "free" - they must be using the sites for some kind of advertising, surely? I don't fault them for that - they've got to make this pay somehow - but I don't know that it would mix with the set-up I'm working with. But perhaps I'm wrong - if it is truly "free", how do they do it? Philanthropists?

4. Mimoun

Let me explain how Wix makes money.

Wix has 4 ways it makes money:
    1. They make money by selling premium services with premium support.
    2. They also have an app market place.
    3. A custom web design service.
    4. Plus a market place for web designers.
    Wix does not have to make money from every user as long as a small % pay for a premium service.

The free version displays a build a free Wix website ad (but never banner ads from third parties) and you cannot connect your .com domain with the free version you will need to buy an upgrade for that.

Let me say that I don’t think Wix is the best solution for everyone that is why I gave you 4 options.
    If you know or want to learn how to code/program, then Wix is not a good solution; it is far better to setup your own website as you can do a lot more powerful stuff this way. But for 80% of all the websites this is unnecessary and time-consuming.

If you’re a designer and don’t know how to program, Wix is a great tool as almost everything is done in a visual way.
    If you don’t know how to design nor program, then Wix becomes a very powerful tool.

Wix has around 300 employees and has been in business since 2006.
    Wix has a business plan and they are a profitable business. 28 million people are already using Wix to build their website. So it’s not a fly-by-night web 2.0 service.

Wix enables a lot more people to build and manage their own websites as easily as they would play a video game.

5. vshelford

vshelford New Member

VERY interesting - thanks Mimoun! I do have to produce small quick websites from time to time and this looks like it would be a very good way to go, or to recommend to others.
    Thanks again, and I'll plug away at getting my site in question done. The message facility isn't vital - there's always links to email.

6. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

A web browser is a software application for retrieving, presenting and traversing information resources on the World Wide Web.
    The primary purpose of a web browser is to bring information resources to the user ("retrieval" or "fetching"), allow them to view the information ("display", "rendering"), and then access other information ("navigation", "following links").

HyperText Markup Language (HTML) is the main markup language for displaying web pages and other information that can be displayed in a web browser.
    The purpose of a web browser is to read HTML documents and compose them into visible or audible web pages. The browser does not display the HTML tags, but uses the tags to interpret the content of the page. These pages reside on the server.

Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is a style sheet language used for describing the presentation semantics (the look and formatting) of a document written in a markup language. Its most common application is to style web pages written in HTML and XHTML, but the language can also be applied to any kind of XML document, including plain XML, SVG and XUL. CSS is designed primarily to enable the separation of document content (written in HTML or a similar markup language) from document presentation, including elements such as the layout, colors, and fonts. These files reside on the server.

"Network Server" (the work horse) In most common use, a server is a physical computer (a computer hardware system) dedicated to run one or more services (as a host), to serve the needs of the users of other computers on a network. Depending on the computing service that it offers it could be a database server, file server, mail server, print server, web server, gaming server, or some other kind of server.

Taken from your first post - "the message form would be very useful, but I can't find where or how to add our forwarding information"
    As you can see from the definitions above, the only place you will find that, would be on a server, which isn't there yet.
    Mimoun pointed out 4 ways to do it, if all you needed was a form.
    Another method would be to install Forum software and restrict it to the users, (otherwise you would be spammed to death).
    Yet another posibility would be an Instant Messaging Client freeware which would allow communication on numerios levels and devices.

All of these ways can be intergrated into your template, just keep in mind you have to use the right tool for the job, even if that means learning something new.

Thought this might clear things up.

Mimoun likes this.
  7. vshelford

vshelford New Member

Thanks for the review, ishkey - that does make it clearer. I have used forms once, but the code was set up by someone else and I just popped it in. I also tried a forum set-up once, but it was about 10 years ago and either the anti-spamming protection wasn't what it is now, or I didn't set it up properly, but I certainly spent several hours a day deleting spammers attempting to "join" the group.
    Upon reflection, the use of the messaging form was more for novelty than actual need in my immediate case, but it is also an opportunity to learn how, which would be interesting. As I get older, that's an exercise that takes a whole lot longer than it used to, but no doubt it keeps the brain cells alive.
    I'd better meet the deadline for this site without the messaging, but look at adding it later when I can take the extra time. I really appreciate you and Mimoun taking the time to clarify things here, and I hope the discussion will be useful to someone else along the way!

8. Benson Munchini

Benson Munchini New Member

Thanks for the reviews above, but my concern is with those forms that you put in the templates how can one apply their applications so that messages can come to your email.

9. Mimoun

1) Use the free online website builder Wix.
    Just sign up and enter the email address you want to use.

2) MySQL and PHP.
    You need to know how a mail server works and set up your own mail server.
    Or you can just use an email service if they allow smtp outgoing connections. Free mail services normally have a limit of 50 to 100 outgoing emails per day.
    If you send more than 100 emails per day use a transactional email service like Sendgrid or Mandrill

3) Google forms.
    Follow the video above.

4) Use an online contact form service like vCita.
    Just sign up and enter the email address you want to use.

10. Tiborius

Tiborius New Member

hi,
    first sorry my english is not so good.
    I have already downloaded some templates with contact form.
    I want to use this contact form but where do I write my email address inside.
    I want to use any online form
    Determined, one can use these forms with your own email address.
    thanks for the help.
    Tiborius