1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design Header problem

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by dquixote, Jul 23, 2011.

1. dquixote

dquixote New Member

Greetings all,

I downloaded and modified the charity template (very nice, btw). The modification included changing the header image. Now it appears twice on each page:

Contact Us

I'm guessing that there's a missing </div> tag somewhere but my attempts to find it and fix it have failed.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Walter

2. Geoff Tyrer

Geoff Tyrer Member

From a quick look at the HTML the problem seems to lie in the CSS file... Can you post it?

3. tomw

tomw Member

Agree. Posting the source code or providing a link to the page will let us find the problem quicker.

My mistake, you did provide the link...

4. dquixote

dquixote New Member

Thanks for your willingness to review. I have attached the stylesheet (renamed to a txt file so it would be accepted).

Attached Files:

5. tomw

tomw Member

The header image has to be the same size as the original (717x255). I resized yours and here is what it looks like:

Quixote Center

6. tomw

tomw Member

You have an option of using the new size by adjusting the size used in the style sheet:

Quixote Center

7. dquixote

dquixote New Member

Thanks so much. Your fix worked. I started doing web stuff before CSS so I'm still trying to get my head around how to work with them. I am grateful.

Best,

W

8. tomw

tomw Member

Your footer section code should be this:
    Code:
    <div id="footerline"></div>
    </div>
    <div id="footer">Copyright © 2011 Quixote Center, Inc. All rights
    reserved.
    </div>
    </div>
    Here is what your page should look like:

Quixote Center

I would also touch up the corner image color to match the background color.

9. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

Hope you don't mind my jumping in too. Here's the altered header if you want it.

CP

Attached Files:

10. tomw

tomw Member

I must have spent close to an hour using Paint trying to change the corner color without success. How long did it take to do that CP?

With that change the new design is now perfect:

Quixote Center

11. CovertPea

About 5 minutes in photoshop.
    Paint has its uses but you really got to get yourself a copy of THE GIMP mate. :D

12. dquixote

dquixote New Member

You folks are amazing! Thank you so much. I am very grateful.

13. tomw

tomw Member

Thanks CP. Just downloaded GIMP and now there will be more competition in designing logos here but don't worry as I'm a slow learner.

Hey Walter, make sure to update all your pages with the new image from CP and fix the footer tags. Using a CMS will make the job easier.

14. CovertPea

Looking forward to seeing your creations Tom.

Here's a link to 30 beginners Gimp tutorials. Can't beat following tutorials for the quickest and easiest way to learn a new program.

Cheers mate
    CP

15. Geoff Tyrer

Geoff Tyrer Member

CovertPea - am really interested in those tutorials for the Gimp - but the link just gave me "page not found"...

16. CovertPea

Sorry Geoff, I must have added a wrong link, try it again.

17. tomw

tomw Member

18. dquixote

dquixote New Member

CovertPea, thanks for the header image. tomw, thanks for all your help.

I agree that a CMS will make the job easier. If the client wants to keep me on maintaining the site, I'll do that. And I hadn't heard of GIMP before. I've used PS and PSP. I'll be checking out GIMP, too.

Great tips all. Many thanks.

19. Geoff Tyrer

Geoff Tyrer Member

CP,
    Brilliant - thanks.
    Geoff