1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design Dreamweaver display view messes up template

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by Jve, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Jve

Jve New Member

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I see that this is a problem that has been experienced by others, with no satisfactory explanation or solution being offered ....

I have DW4. I downloaded a template from this site about a year ago and used it to create a site. I've never had a problem working with the template in DW, and the pages render fine in IE.

Recently I had to get a new PC (old one was zapped by a power surge). I installed DW4 again, but now all my pages are garbage in DW display view.

Nothing has changed: the code hasn't changed, the style sheet hasn't changed, everything still looks fine in the browser, even in the DW "Preview in Browser" view -- but the page is messed up in DW display view. When I download a new template (untouched by me) -- same problem. It appears fine in the browser, but is a jumbled mess in DW.

I have tried these same templates in DW4 and DW MX, on five different PCs, some with Vista, some with XP, some laptops, some desktops -- same result.

The truly crazy thing is that the pages appear fine in the browser, they are just jumbled in DW. :mad::(:eek: I have attached a PDF file with two screen captures: one showing the template as it appears in the browser, and the other as it appears in DW4 display view.

This problem is driving me scatty -- you will earn my undying gratitude if you help me solve it!

Thanks!!

HELP!!
    HELP!!
    HELP!!
    HELP!!

Attached Files:

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Sounds like a Adobe problem... http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2309726,00.asp and most likely still is.

3. Jve

Jve New Member

Thanks for the info

Hi

Thanks for this information. I agree, I think it's an Adobe/Dreamweaver problem. However, I don't think it's the dynamic view -- that only came in with DW CS4, and I'm still using the old-fashioned DW4.

Also, the exact same files that are now not displayed correctly used to display just fine in DW4.

In summary: same DW; same files; but suddenly they look different in DW. And the same happens on other PCs where I've tried to install DW and look at the files. It's absolutely crazy!!!!

Once again, thanks for trying to help!

4. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

All I can say is live with it or use a different program. I personally do not like DW, to top heavy for my taste.

5. Jve

Jve New Member

Problem solved via upgrade

Hi -- Thanks very, very much to everyone who responded -- I appreciated your efforts.

I finally solved the problem by upgrading to DW8. The problem just went away. Don't ask me why or how; it just did. Please note: upgrading to DW MX did not do the job, but DW8 did.

In defence of DW -- I think it's an absolutely great product, very intuitive, very powerful (except of course when it throws wobblies like the one that started this thread). But I remain a DW fan!

Cheers and thanks again!