1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Websites Done a lot since my last review - can I get another now

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by eVentureBiz, May 1, 2008.

1. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

@ishkey - are you by chance talking about my horizontal main menu (the black one that runs across the page)? We're talking about the ones one the Web Development page which are in the body text. What do you think of those?

@emilypal and pezboy - Sorry, I'm still at a loss - maybe because it's just early.

You should see the big black box that says "email updates" as soon as you go to my blog, do you not see it automatically when you visit? If not, what browser are you using?

I don't have a Subscribe to the eVentureBiz Blog "button," I think that's what's confusing me. I do have a link that says that, but the text that leads to that page says "about signing up" in the black box.

I think maybe you're saying create a graphic that says "Subscribe," but I think a graphic saying to subscribe, the black box in the upper left corner for email updates, and the RSS feed subscribe in the upper right might be a bit much?

But then again, I apologize cuz I'm dazed n' confused.

Thanks again :) You guys rock!

2. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

@pezboy45

I've tried the include code you showed me (and wikipedia), but it doesn't work - which is strange. Here's the code I tried for the includes

<!--#include virtual="includes/sidebar.htm"-->

Here's my code which works. I dunno what the difference is?

<!--webbot bot="Include" U-Include="includes/sidebar.htm" TAG="BODY" -->

3. pezboy45

pezboy45 Mod/Design & Coder [Pro]

Did you change your extension to .shtml?
    Because for it to work, you must do that.

4. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

I like the ones on the wdp. Keep them. Clicking gives me something to do while I am reading.

5. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Cool. Thank you guys for the feedback. It's much appreciated.

6. emilypal

emilypal New Member

Hi eVentureBiz,

Yes, I see the big black box that says "email updates" when I enter John’s Blog page.

I was speaking about another thing. I wish you could make the link “Subscribe to the eVentureBiz Blog” which is placed on the homepage of http://eventurebiz.com/ more vivid. )))
    Sorry for confusing you by calling your link a button )

7. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

ahhhh . . . gotcha ;)

Thanks for the clarification - as you can see I've now had another cup of coffee LOL. I'll think about it and see what I can come up with.

I appreciate the input.

8. pezboy45

John, your website is looking much better.

If you need anything else, just let me, or anyone else know.

9. emilypal

emilypal New Member

I’m glad that my clarification made you breath with relief. :p
    It wasn’t my intention to make you worry because your site looks really nice and I truly appreciate your informative content.

10. ishkey

So john based on the code from above

Here's my code which works. I dunno what the difference is?

<!--webbot bot="Include" U-Include="includes/sidebar.htm" TAG="BODY" -->

It looks like you are using Frontpage 2003? That would explain why the code wouldn't work and change to yours.

11. Linx

Linx Member

Hello John!

I really have nothing to add :) Your site is flawless, everything is well thought-out and harmoniously combined. It goes without saying, your forum is a great supplement to your website. It was a brilliant idea to add a forum and discuss there urgent problems and just talk. :)

I wish you many many active users and prosperity!

Good luck!

12. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Ah.... you're good, ishkey. I've never looked into newer versions of Frontpage as the 2003 edition does everything I need. Are there any specific reasons you can think of to upgrade to a later version?

13. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Thanks Linx. You're a cool guy. Too bad we can't "hang out."

14. pezboy45

Yea, that will be the next greatest thing with technology...teleportation.
    So, you can meet/hangout/travel anywhere, at any time, within the blink of an eye.

Amazing.

15. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

yeah but will the one that reappears be the real you or a copy? ;)

16. pezboy45

The real you, of course.

17. ishkey

Yes, John I can see why you should change!
    Even MS said after 2009 FP2003 will drop support for the over bloated, problematic software.
    Expression Web is not just a new, renamed FrontPage. It is a professional tool. Gone is the bloated code for which FrontPage was often criticized. Gone are the "web-bots" that wrote code proprietary to Internet Explorer. Expression Web not only helps you by writing valid XHTML by default, it helps you learn by highlighting (in code view) errors. This makes Expression Web a great learning tool. Many of the old FrontPage components have been removed from Expression Web like the problem in this post you have had. You will be closer to the w3.org validation.
    It's almost like having the best of both worlds. Software which writes code for you and the ability to write code with a editor. It even has templates for the many other languages out there and codes acordingly. The beta version 2 years ago was slow, but feature rich, with the ability to set it for beginner, intermediate, advance. The final version is fast and lean. For MS this was a welcome surprise as they have been talking cross platform for years and finally delivered. The only reason I am a fan of MS products, is they are used by many corp customers, who require you to be certified. Thanks to the fact MS products always break, I always get paid to fix them. How nice of MS to create this cash flow for me.
    Dave

18. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

LOL ishkey about the cash flow. Probably one of the reason why I've never really had any problems with Frontpage 2003 is other than the server side code, I write all the for my websites.

The only time I use the design area is to make a quick link or something.

Here's my question, though. Shouldn't the <!--Include--> instructions Pezboy mentioned in this post still work with my website? I don't see why it wouldn't?

And . . . what the heck does Lawn Mower Undercoating have to do with Microsoft creating cash flows for you? LOL ;)

19. ishkey

Shouldn't the <!--Include--> instructions Pezboy mentioned in this post still work with my website?
    Answer - No
    FP includes, ASP includes, and PHP Includes are all different. I presume your sever has FP extensions turned on or you are on a Win Server. You must publish your site, not FTP it, correct. In fact include pages will work to some extent if you FTP, in that they will appear on the final pages. However if you update an include page the change will only appear on a final page once it has been opened, saved and FTPed again. This pretty much takes away any advantage of using includes. There are a number of reasons why you might need to use includes other than the FrontPage ones. The most important is probably in the case of sites which will be on a server without extensions, but also quite often scripts will require you to include content on pages and this cannot be done with FP includes.
    The most commonly used alternative is using Server Side Includes (SSI). Setting these up is just the same as if you were using FP includes with a few minor differences. Many of these differences will also apply to other types of include.

First though, lets take a look at the code required to include content using SSI. This is what the SSI include directive looks like:
    <!--#include file="page.txt" -->
    This will work only if the file to be included is in the same directory as the final page, so, given that will usually not be the case, the more commonly used directive is:
    <!--#include virtual="/directory/page.txt" -->
    In this case it is very important that you get the path to your file correct.
    Files which use SSI includes need to be named with an extension that alerts the server to check for include directives before serving the page. The most commonly used one is .shtml, but .shtm is also used. Most servers will not parse .htm or .html files for SSI but they can be configured to do so. Generally speaking this is only practical if you have a dedicated server since configuring the server to parse .html files would cause all standard HTML files served to be first parsed (or checked) for SSI, a situation which would cause some strain on the server.

When an FP file is included using FP includes, FrontPage takes care of ensuring that the paths to any images or links which are in the included page remain valid when the file is included, no matter where in the directory structure the final file is located. This is not the case with SSI. So, for example, if you have a header include file in the 'includes' directory and you include it in a page in the main directory it will go in precisely as written. That means that all links and image paths in it will be incorrect.

Why upgrade you can the use asp net or php greater power more stream line code. Fast page load times and reload (no re- rendering of previous pages). :eek: wow i got long in the tooth.

Cleandeck is just another cash flow which is on auto pilot.
    I program in c++ ansii and oops, plus a few other languages. Something I did long ago and started again 2 years ago. (my Microsoft cash cows) Corp America said I am too old to practice as an engineer, so for 5 years I own a shipping store (good for shipping Cleandeck) now Fedex, UPS and DHL want all the money for themselfs. It was time to move on. Programming knows no age at least yet. I just have to compete with 300,000 budding young short minded kids from Rebmond WA and India, so I sided with old farts like myself and it's proving profitable. Plus no overhead.

20. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Ah - multiple streams of income. Very good, Dave.

First, thank you for the detailed explanation, it was very informative. I actually graduated college with a computer degree programing in C++. I never pursued it though outside of college.

So it sounds like for the moment, the current FP includes work better for me than the .shtml files would - easier and maybe a bit quicker.

Now, you mentioned php. I know php slows things down and is not as fast as html code. Is a php call to the server faster than the FP includes I use? Also, switching to php would require me to rename all my file extensions to .php - wouldn't that slow things down a little? Also, I don't program in php. That might be a problem.

Thanks again!