1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Design Brief questions...

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by GG, Aug 7, 2010.

1. 1970Forest

1970Forest Moderator Staff Member

$200 it would be cheaper if you brought the pilots SUNGLASSES!!! ;)

2. GG

GG Active Member

haha yeah..

and CP we could break it down to about 2 different stickies. So one for the questions, one for the important notices because I have to agree it is quite long but see what you can do. Do your magic :p

3. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Look on the bright side ( ah, non reflective side)
    COLORBOND Roofs are Beautiful, durable and versatile. It has inspired the Australia’s construction industry for more than 40 years. Now you are part of that nine out of ten Australian homes now include COLORBOND® steel in their construction.
    To be part of the collective - life is grand.:rolleyes:

4. Recidivist

Recidivist VIP Member

lolololololololololololol

5. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

I don't wanna be part of the 9 outta 10. I'm a cheapskate!
    Besides, apart from the pilots and birds, who is going to see this pretty coloured roof?
    Sounds a tad "BORG-ish" to me.
    :p

PS: By the way, where's Modman gone? Why has he deleted some of his posts?

6. ishkey

So how is the Final Draft coming along, are we close yet?

7. CovertPea

Okay Dave, you caught me out. This past week has been a real begger!
    Lovely, quiet Sunday today, I'll get right into the 'draft' and have something to post by this 'arvo.

8. CovertPea

Draft

Okay peoples, here's what I've come up with. It's a bit of everybodys put together.
    Comments/suggestions please. :rolleyes:

Header>> Graphic Requests Must Read

Firstly, your chances of getting a logo/graphic designed for you by our team, depend on several factors:

The DO'S

1. Copy & paste the questions below to your own thread, supplying appropriate answers
    to each question.

2. Help out others while you're wating, look around the forums and see where YOU can
    help out others.
    We are a "give & take" group. If we see you are willing to help others we will most
    definately help you. A good first place to lhelp out is in our "Request a Website Review"

3. Once our designers post examples of possible logos for you, PLEASE REPLY ASAP.
    Being too busy to respond won't cut it as an excuse here at FWT. No response from you
    within 5 days and any/all designs will be deleted. After that, the chances of your request
    being filled will become very limited (unless you want to pay the designer's fee)

Remember, our designers all have jobs/businesses/lives as well and are giving their
    time freely FOR YOU.

4. Politeness - NEVER underestimate the power of the simple "Please" and "Thank you".

The DONT'S
    1) Do not ask (or expect) our graphics people to come up with an almost exact copy of
    some other company brand or team logo. Changing an original logo's colouring and/or text
    does not automatically make the design YOURS!
    There are still legal copyright issues to consider.

2) Don't ask why there is writing over your logo examples. This overlayed text/image
    is its creator's watermark and will not be on your final logo.

3) Don't think you can avoid helping out and still get a free logo designed for you by
    'private messaging' our graphics people. Private messaging is fine for those wishing to
    employ an individual member to design a logo for a fee.

Now we have all those annoying do's and dont's out of the way...
    Welcome to FWT! We always look forward to having new members here so please
    consider staying around and joining us as regular, contributing members.

Thank you
    FWT Members
    :rolleyes:

Cut and paste the following (blue) section and answer each question.
    (N/A will suffice for those areas not applicable to you)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1) What is the exact name you would like in your logo?
    The exact text that you want in your logo. Include other details like
    positioning, if you need it done in a certain way.

2) What is your website address (ex: http://site.com ; Site Name)?
    If the logo is to be displayed on your website, style, colouring and background
    blend needs to be taken into consideration.

3) Description of your website:
    Another aid for our graphics people in deciding on an appropriate style design.

4) Have you found any logos/designs on the web that you feel convey
    the style you are looking for?

Either post small images of the logo designs or the URL of where the image/s can be found.
    By supplying this info you are helping our graphics people get an idea of the preferred 'style'
    you are looking for.

5) Requested size of your logo:
    Basically we ask this to determine the graphic's resolution and what it will be eventually used for.
    Is the logo to be used solely for the web? (low resolution)
    Will it be made into a poster or printed on shirts? (high resolution)
    Do you need the final image in various sizes? (various resolutions)

6) Do you have any images/photos that can be used for the logo? (must be copyright free)
    Finding an appropriate, non-copyrighted graphic is the hardest and most time-consuming part
    of putting together logos. If you have a hand drawn sketch of what you want, please feel
    free to scan it and post the image.
    (please keep any posted graphics under 500 x 500 pixels.)

7) What logo styles do you like (text only, image only, text and image, etc.)?
    This will help the designers know what type of logo styles you are into and will create your
    logo accordingly.
    Text Only - Includes a text only logo which is a logo with just text and some extra effects.
    Image only – Includes and image logo with no text (or little text such as initials)
    Text and Image – Includes text and images used in your logo. This could be used to either
    give a clearer view of what your logo is showing to your audience.

8)
    What colors do you want to see in your logo?
    State any main colours that you would like in your logo.

9) What colors do you NOT want to see in your logo?
    State any colours that you do not want in your logo.

10) Describe the target audience for your logo
    This will help the designers to create a logo based at your target audience (e.g Kids – Colourful, eye-catching, possibly characters)

11) What are the top 3 things you would like to communicate through your logo?
    This will help the designer know how to design your logo and to what effect.
    (e.g could be targeted to attract new businesses, gamers, newly weds, children,
    builders etc etc)

12) Where will your logo be used (print, website, etc.)?
    This will help the designers know which format to create the logo in. You will not
    have to decide yourself as all designers will know. Please note down everything that
    your logo will be placed on which includes any future plans.
    Failure to do so will result in a bad quality logo.

13) Do you have other info or links you want to share?
    Please feel free to comment on anything else that you would like your logo to have if it has
    not been mentioned above.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you.

9. CovertPea

gggrrrr Why hasn't the text wrapped around?

The thing still looks fairly long and detailed. :eek:

Okay, fixed the wrap around bit.

10. GG

GG Active Member

Yeah it is quite long unless we break it down into 2 posts on the actual sticky so the top bit can be used as info and the 2nd bit can be used underneath it as a seperate post so then it won't look as long but overall great work CP! love it!

Just one suggestion :p as I wrote before on my post that members will have to pay if they do not reply within 2 weeks if they fail to inform us but if they do then it'll be ok but are we adding that in? Stating that we will get in touch after # days to remind you and a 2nd reminder later the week and 3rd will result in the thread being closed and the member not recieving their logo this is because of the recent photography member that came and told us that he/she got a logo elsewhere which meant that our time was wasted and really ticked me off however, I feel that to ensure that it doesn't happen again their should be some consiquence towards it.

Another suggestion :D lol You think we should have general rules for designers too? Just incase a new designer does sign up to the forum and begins to help then they won't know what to do and when to help. So basically not rules but like general information to tell them what to do. So we can add stuff like

- Do not help members that do not help others.
    - All work must be watermarked and supplied (on the forum) in low res JPEG. (Be sure to keep the original in the correct format)
    - Supply all final versions as a attachment and then delete or send it via e-mail, IM etc
    - If you are unsure of what to do then feel free to PM the designers*

*At this point we can create our own little group on the forum which has all the designers members of it and have a link to it at the bottom of the sticky so whenever someone needs to get in touch with a designer they'll have the list right there.

and any other stuff that comes in mind but you get the idea :p but just a suggestion which popped in my mind about 20 minutes ago but then again i've been up all night so these things will happen till I get some sleep :p

I'll check out the replies when i'm up again but for now...C'ya!

11. 1970Forest

IMPO spot on CP!!!

The length of the post really should not be a problem, as then if the requestee takes the time to full fill it then they show they are willing to keep to the points?
    Also detures 12-14 yr olds as normally would not be bothered reading and so for is a way of weeding out pointless posts?

GG I dont think 2 post is the way to go, keep it all in 1. Do agree about a post for designers.
    Not too sure how it will be forced to demand a fee? Instead a section could be put in NO REPLY WITHIN 5 DAYS ALL DESIGNS WILL BE DELETED, and your chances of request become very limited (unless you want to pay a fee?) 5 days is a very long time considering mails are sent when a post is made in thier thread, and they should be advised not to turn this function off?

CP & GG thanks to you both for the effort into this, should really streamline the forum.

12. CovertPea

Brave approach GG but trying to enforce any kind of payment system for time wasters would open up a whole lot of other problems. I doubt anyone would ever actually pay up anyway but if they did, who would manage the funds, where does it get paid to etc., etc.
    I honestly feel it would not really be worth the extra hassles. :eek:

We'll wait to get some input from Ishkey over the latest offering and then we can post the final draft up as a sticky.

13. ishkey

Posting in reverse to the comments -
    I believe CP's post #32 is correct as is 1970Forest's post #31 is also on target.
    I read it and it is of a perfect size for those that are serious about their requests, if this is too much for them, then they really don't need one - let them contact some member and pay for it. After-all there are two types of people who pay for work, those who know what they want and pay a minimum necessary and those who need the hand held and know they will have to pay for what they want. A 5 day time frame is very generous.

My vote is for the Draft CP posted.

14. 1970Forest

I vote for CP's draft, but add the red section in #31 (reason I went for 5 days is the gives plent of time to help out and therefore would prove how serious the poster is for thier request to be done)

15. GG

GG Active Member

True point. Would also go with CP's draft. I was half awake last night so what I said all made sense then lol but now I see it doesn't :p

So when can we get this going? Once everyone apporoves we can remove the old sticky and then replace it with this.

By the way what's everyones thoughts on the information for designers?

Thanks
    GG

16. 1970Forest

One last thing, is there any way that the header of the thread can be done in another colour (color for my friends over the pond) to make it stand out against the rest?

17. GG

GG Active Member

Erm not sure. I doubt it though but good idea.

18. GG

GG Active Member

Update: Seems to be working people :) Well done for all those that helped and also CP for making it stand out too.

In my opinion it has made it a little easier as a new member has already used the sticky for a request and it has broken down into simple bits and goes into detail of what the member would like and would not like. So seems to be doing a good job :D

Well done all!

19. 1970Forest

Since posting there has definitely been an improvement from the requester; so well done all, I really do not miss having to direct all to the sticky, OK a few have slipped the net

20. ishkey

Possible Refinement?

Does any one think that maybe we should ask if there is a Particular Font required?
    If not a Free Font they must supply it.

Question #4
    Maybe should state - Please supply any Logo/Designs .....