1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design Assitance with media template pls with html links

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by ogilberry, Oct 14, 2008.

1. ogilberry

ogilberry New Member

<code>http://www.freewebsitetemplates.com/preview/media/<code>
    this is the temlate that i have chosen to use..i have edited the basic template in css being a photographer i so get photoshop however that is where i am buggered...i have used frontpage before quite a bit and know my around that however i have tried to use the slice tool in photoshop with not much luck and then i tried opening photoshop saving it from there as a html opening in photoshop and i cannot for life of me get links to work or actually show up on my site...

when i preview in frontpage they seem fine however when i upload them they are not happening ....ahhh pulling my hair out now hehe

thanks in advance for any help you perhaps can give me oh and my site that i am uploading well actually deleting more than uploading hehe is <code>www.simplysolar.com.au<code>

fee

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Creating a template from scratch is a multi-step process.
    After reading this post, you might want to read https://freewebsitetemplates.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5694
    It will provide a understanding of the process.

Being a photographer is good for taking pictures with a camera and then displaying them on the computer. Some pics are small in size and some are large. Any computer must download the digital information (your picture) into a buffer memory which takes time. The bigger the file, longer the load time.
    Photoshop has a slice tool - think of it like a table top slice and dice tool.
    Put a potato in it push down and it's sliced up into small pieces. Now look at the code from your website www.simplysolar.com.au , what you see is a table (your picture broken up into small pieces so it loads faster).
    If you look at the template that you downloaded you will see it is not in a table format, it uses a css file.
    All you had to do was look at the code in the css file and the html file.
    Find the Header picture and replace it with your own picture.
    Same for all other pictures.
    The text which is editable in the html file is where you replace it with your text.
    If you wanted to change the layout you would use the css file.

3. ogilberry

ogilberry New Member

holy moly you are good at explaining that thanks heaps....im off to read the other thread i have been fighting with the site for well all of today my eyes are now sore....i didnt get it that the pictures were being stored and referred to in the images file...so that now has helped heaps..i also managed to fight and get the pages centred woohoo yay for me:rolleyes: tee hee thanks so much for taking the time to assist me im sure ill have a million other questions

fee

4. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

David-
    I absolutely agree with Fee.
    Maybe that great explanation deserves to be 'stickied' along with your other previous helpful articles.
    I'm giving your response 5 stars and a rep hike! :D :D :D

5. ogilberry

ogilberry New Member

ok came back to this one so i went back opened the original file and yerp slices are not there however what are the blue lines around where the photos go etc can you remove them in css so i can put the form on the right hand side

thanks for putting up with me i am tired
    fee

6. ishkey

7. ogilberry

ogilberry New Member

there is some great stuff on there...

8. ishkey

I edited the media templete somewhat so you can see how your web would look. Download it into a new directory, unzip it, and finish the editing using Alleycode program. With Alleycode you can see the code in color markup and will understand it better. Most all links work. You will have to finish the index page and complete the electric and water page, add your form to the quote page, complete the FAQ page.

Attached Files:

9. ogilberry

ogilberry New Member

holy moly do you just want to move in hehe

thanks heaps..

fee
    wow i am gobsmacked that you would go to this length to assist me...thank you

10. ishkey

What's a gobsmacked?