1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General applying template to my website

Discussion in 'General' started by EmePierce13, Jan 9, 2008.

1. EmePierce13

EmePierce13 New Member

So I tried downloading a few free templates and one of them gave me code. I am using frontpage and I put the code in on the code page and it didn't work... what am I doing wrong?:(

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

The problem is Frontpage it works quite different than all other editors. To long to explain here. You would be better off switching to a free editor or by one.

3. jensen_toh

jensen_toh New Member

its easy, just open the index using frontpage. go to the top left click, file, then choose open. open your template index and the codes and everything will appear. you can drag and drop, copy, paste, edit the links and text and the html code will change accordingly. after you are done, save it and upload the edited index to your host. create an image folder and upload the pictures into the folder, upload the css file too. thats about all.

my new site, www.tuition.tk i haven't changed the header picture though. still working on some parts. please give feedbacks =)

4. el_tenedor

el_tenedor New Member

EmePierce13,
    There are lots of editors that give you the code. The most available one is a Windows default Notepad (good for working with the code as it has a number of its own advantages). Dreamweaver is also good for coding and it displays all of the changes that you make to the code in real-time (but its disadvantage is that is sometimes changes the link structure according to the folders that you save your files in, so you might wanna mind that).

5. el_tenedor

el_tenedor New Member

jensen_toh,
    you've done it all great with your website. But still you might want to remove the email addresses from the homepage as spam bots will soon find them and turn your inbox into a hell :) Just replace the "@" into something less obvious but still understandable (say {at} or <at>). Or just integrate a contact form. That should work fine. Besides contact form is a better solution as it makes any website look more professional.