1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Software Anti-virus

Discussion in 'General' started by korvayne, Feb 22, 2011.

1. francis1

francis1 New Member

If you having virus problem use the avast virus guard it is totally free or if it is a genuine windows it update the latest it is against all the new viruses.

2. Fdrix

Fdrix New Member

Avast is the best antivirus and i have been using it for 1 year and it protects my computer very fast.

3. navyfalcon

navyfalcon Well-Known Member Verified Member

4. Clint Davies

Clint Davies Member

I used to buy Norton every year and after speaking to an IT consultant at work i started using Microsoft essentials as it is free and has been fantastic for me so far.

5. ShaneWarne

ShaneWarne New Member

As far as free antivirus softwares are concerned, three are quite popular.

AVG, Avira and Avast.

You can choose any one of them. Free antivirus provides decent protection, if you are even an above average computer user. I'm also running avira free in my system for more than a year and didn't face any issue with detection and/or removal of malware.

However, if you want to go for a paid anti virus software, you can choose from kaspersky and/or norton.

6. Clint Davies

Clint Davies Member

I think you can currently pick up Kapersky for £10 in Sainsburys.

7. navyfalcon

a lot of problems leading to suspect viruses can be registry problems. If you download or remove programs, sometimes they leave small bits of code that affect you computers registry. There are several good registry checkers and cleaners both free and commercial. You may want to check your computers registry. I use the free ones and they work OK. Sometimes I use restore after using the registry cleaner.
    -
    hope this helps
    falcon

8. navyfalcon

I have a 1TB Hard Drive and CPU @ 3100MHz.
    I ran Malwarebytes and it took 44 1/2 min (no detection of malware)
    I ran Avira and it took 2:51:32 (over 2 hrs - no detection of malware)
    I ran SuperAntiSpyware and it took 53:50 min (detected 299 malware - mostly tracking cookies but some adware and removed them. Computer faster now. Will check if any of the adware is still present. This is not a complete test, just my system and certain adware ( not checking for other malware).
    -
    falcon

9. MPC

MPC New Member

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials, but 2 days ago talking with a friend, he advised me to change because there are others better like Avast or AVG.
    Reading all your information i can conclude that he is right, but i read that AVG in your laptop.
    Avast i know and think is good, Avira i don't know.
    I'll play for save and change for the one i know ( Avast)

MPC

10. navyfalcon

With free antivirus, it is better to use more than one. Malwarebytes is a good companion
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/.
    I use avast, malwarebytes, avira and superantispyware. They seem to help, but because I do deep search (over 100 pages deep - most people don't do that - and go to free sites and download and check free software, I use more tools than others need.
    -
    falcon