1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Websites woodburningbymarcus review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by ishkey, Sep 21, 2008.

1. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Stepson asked for web so I created on as sub domain to my site to save him money, to see if it gets going. Unforchantely he never took pics of the all stuff he made. CovertPea was nice enough to redo the header logo.

2. ishkey

3. pezboy45

pezboy45 Mod/Design & Coder [Pro]

Looks really good!
    Did you make it from scratch?

That business is also really cool, if I had a need, I would definably get one.

4. emilypal

emilypal New Member

I enjoyed the header logo and the pictures of wooden art pieces. I think the pictures look great and the gallery page should represent larger images.

5. ishkey

Yep - made it. It's just a basic 2 column display with an iframe added for the gallery page. I tried to make it simple and easy for me, because when you ask the question "what do you want for a web site" you get "I don't know". Then when you make something they always see something on the web they want and it's more complicated. (i'm sure, you have run into this from time to time) This way it's easy to amend to. On the other side of the coin, I stink with graphics, let alone trying to make a template like FWT's. Download the css file an take a look.

Yea the gallery page should be larger but for some reason they like to use the camera phone to take the pics. Any larger and it doesn't look right. I made it so they can log on to an admin section and upload their pics with comments and a pic name.

Thanks ishkey

6. pezboy45

I must have missed the gallery section.
    But, it looks good, but I think an ajax gallery script would look better (and be cooler).

7. ishkey

no dought ther are cooler galleries out there. i was lazy :rolleyes: and he has the ability to upload just by logging in, searching his pc and pressing ok.
    here are some of the reasons why i don't use Ajax.
    more Disadvantages than Advantages.
    plus the server is apache running linux.
    i only use Microsoft remote scripting when using asp.net and thats how the server is set up to run.

Disadvantages
    • Dynamically created pages do not register themselves with the browser's history engine, so clicking the browser's "back" button would not return the user to an earlier state of the Ajax-enabled page, but would instead return them to the last page visited before it. Workarounds include the use of invisible IFrames to trigger changes in the browser's history and changing the anchor portion of the URL (following a #) when AJAX is run and monitoring it for changes.[12]
    • Dynamic web page updates also make it difficult for a user to bookmark a particular state of the application. Solutions to this problem exist, many of which use the URL fragment identifier (the portion of a URL after the '#') to keep track of, and allow users to return to, the application in a given state.[12]
    • Because most web crawlers do not execute JavaScript code, web applications should provide an alternative means of accessing the content that would normally be retrieved with Ajax, to allow search engines to index it.[13]
    • Any user whose browser does not support Ajax or JavaScript, or simply has JavaScript disabled, will not be able to use its functionality.[13] Similarly, devices such as mobile phones, PDAs, and screen readers may not have support for JavaScript or the XMLHttpRequest object. Also, screen readers that are able to use Ajax may still not be able to properly read the dynamically generated content.[14]
    • The same origin policy prevents Ajax from being used across domains,[7] although the W3C has a draft that would enable this functionality.[15]
    • The lack of a standards body behind Ajax means there is no widely adopted best practice to test Ajax applications. Testing tools for Ajax often do not understand Ajax event models, data models, and protocols.

8. pezboy45

Nice wikipedia article.
    :)

9. ishkey

wikipedia when the info is correct is a great source of brain food.
    and I stand by it's writtings, ajax was MS's attempt to stay alive and is slow as dog doo when loading a page. i write for it only when i get paid for doing so.

10. pezboy45

Isn't Ajax a type of Javascript?
    And that wasn't made my MS....was it?

11. ishkey