1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General What is the PSD file?

Discussion in 'General' started by colinjones, Jun 23, 2008.

1. colinjones

colinjones New Member

What is the PSD file? Is this just the web template files wrapped into a single file? I got the impression from other posts that this is a PhotoShop file....

Why is it so much larger than the individual files? Do I need to use it and does it give me something more than just the handful of html/css/image files?

2. solemage

solemage New Member

Let me try and explain this.
    A psd, it a photoshop file, if openned in photoshop, it will be just the design, EX: The design itself, you can change the colors and all.

If transfered into imageready, and sliced with the slicing tool, and file<save as optimized, it saves into a folder, with a index.html and a folder called images. In the folder are the slices, and if you open the index html, you see the template itself. The next step is too code the index html. to center it, and to allow you too add content without messing up the layout its self.

so in photoshop, your design a template, image ready to slice, and then coding it in notepad as I do. or A other programs.

3. Sakari

Sakari New Member

PSD files are generally a layered file that is proprietary to adobe photoshop However, this file format has become so popular over recent years, that many other graphic software programs (newer versions) have programmed their software to be compatible with this file format.