1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Websites Web Site Review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by mnoftzger, Feb 10, 2007.

1. mnoftzger

mnoftzger New Member

Please let me know what you think about my site. The site is used for our summer swim league team.

http://www.winchesterwave.com

Thanks,

Mike

2. vareside

vareside New Member

Hi Mike,

this is a very good website i think. But as I noticed you worked with a lot of frames and the design is very simple. There are many ways to improve this website and I hope you keep up editing this website. Congratulations again, it's a nice swim team and a nice little website.

By the way, not every browser supports frames, so some users may can't use your website.

Sincerely yours,
    Max

3. mnoftzger

mnoftzger New Member

Thanks for your response! I created the web site to make it easy for our younger surfers (swimmers) to be able to browse with little difficulty. What type of suggestions would you make to make it different? I am in the process of creating a new site using css...

Thanks,

Mike

4. pezboy45

pezboy45 Mod/Design & Coder [Pro]

Its, a very clean website.
    I like it.
    Actually, I designed one like it.
    Only 1 thing, actually 2.

1)
    Webmain link doesn't work.

2)
    Make the "Meet absence, the same as all the others.

Oh...I guess I have a 3rd too...

3) make the bg of the link box change colors, when its active (when your on that page.)

Hope this helps!
    And keep up the good work!

5. vareside

vareside New Member

Hi Mike,

it's a very good concept by the way. I would create such a website with CSS, HTML and possibly PHP because these languages do not need further requirements apart from a browser and your server.

Further I would create a standard elements such as the navigation bar and the header which should be identically on all pages of the website to make it easy to browse through your content.

Also, you should make a photo gallery yourself so you can operate a bit more independent. Your navigation should become a bit more compressed because currently the user don't know where to look at. Just build a few main categories and then sub-categories.

To use no frames you can easily display content with parameters in PHP, so you may need only one single page for your entire website.

Max

6. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Vareside is right about the frameset. You seem to use two naming conventions in your pages. IE., The index page uses
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
    Check here for the proper use http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/sgml/framesetdtd.html

Your page has several coding errors on it due to the fact that the body tag should be replaced with FRAMESET" element ..... This can cause problems with others being able to view the page.

[Error] NoName.html (10): CSS: Unknown property "font-weight-bold".
    [Error] NoName.html (10): CSS: ":" expected.
    [Error] NoName.html (11): CSS: Unknown property "font-weight-bold".
    [Error] NoName.html (11): CSS: ":" expected.
    [Error] NoName.html (27): CSS: Bad value for CSS property "border-top".
    [Error] NoName.html (27): CSS: Bad value for CSS property "border-right".
    [Error] NoName.html (27): CSS: Bad value for CSS property "border-left".
    [Error] NoName.html (27): CSS: Bad value for CSS property "border-bottom".
    [Error] NoName.html (32): CSS: Bad value for CSS property "border-top".
    [Error] NoName.html (32): CSS: Bad value for CSS property "border-right".
    [Error] NoName.html (32): CSS: Bad value for CSS property "border-left".
    [Error] NoName.html (32): CSS: Bad value for CSS property "border-bottom".
    [Error] NoName.html (36): Tag <SCRIPT> can't be here
    [Error] NoName.html (86): End tag </ul> without start tag

But in your frame you use in the right handside.
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    This naming convention is the one you should for the entire web.
    You can the get rid of all the un-needed code below and put everything in a css file....
    <SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript">
    <!--
    if (parent.location.href == self.location.href) {
    if (window.location.href.replace)
    window.location.replace('index.html');
    else
    // causes problems with back button, but works
    window.location.href = 'index.html';
    }
    // -->
    </SCRIPT>

Your favicon.ico is showing "hm" looks like Hostmonster, You should make your own.

You have a lot of menu buttons choose from, maybe break them up into different blocks of groups, to seperate them some.

You should reduce the size of your PICS, optimize them for the web, this will reduce load times.
    Try the free program Ifranview http://www.irfanview.com/ no respectable webmaster would be without it.

Nice use of Googles calendar.
    Over all you did a great job, with tons of info, you had to put several days, if not weeks into it. Hats off to you for such a labor of love for a Team whom look as Great as their site.

7. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo New Member

Great looking site. Especially luv the wave design log... very fluid... works great.

8. emilypal

emilypal New Member

I like the structure of your site.
    Your header has reminded me about fresh wave. :)
    You know I wouldn't mind if the pictures were a little bigger.

9. mnoftzger

mnoftzger New Member

Work in progress

Thanks for the feedback. It's still a work in progress. Some of the photos can be enlarged by clicking on them. They open up into a separate window, this way it doesn't take away from the site.

Thanks,

Mike

10. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Wow - what a change from the first one. A great looking template and organization for navagation, but your pics at 2meg plus in size is is just to much for load times. You need to create thumbnails for the main page, linking to the larger pic, and you could reduce the size in the larger ones for the web without loss to the pic. After all people aren't printing them.