1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics um.. Layers?

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by CatzEyes93, Jan 23, 2009.

1. CatzEyes93

CatzEyes93 New Member

All the templates have pictures and text on the images, however what if I want to change the text to something else or replace the image with something else?

Example: clothes fashion
    https://freewebsitetemplates.com/preview/clothesfashion/

I want to replace the gal on the left with MY picture. I have seen folks refer to "layers" to strip certain things out. Is there a free editing program available that will allow me to see and strip these 'layers'?

2. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

"Gimp" is a free program that will allow you to edit the layers, although if you're not familiar with graphic editing you might find the learning curve steep.

Whatever image you stick over that reddish background will need to be transparent.
    Below you can see I've removed the girl from the background for you. Now all you need to do is:
    1. Add your (transparent) image over the top.
    2. Merge the layers.
    3. Re-save as "body_left.jpg" and
    4. Replace this edited jpg with the original that's in your template's image folder.
    If that all seems too much to handle, someone here may even offer their services to do it for you. :)

Cheers
    CP

3. backdoc77

backdoc77 New Member

I would be greatly interested as to exactly how you removed the picture of the girl. You mentioned the free Gimp program, but is photoshop able to do this?
    I'm assuming there are 2 layers in the original "body_left.jpg" photo......the background is layer one and the girl is layer 2?
    How exaclty do you seperate them??

Any help would be appreciated.

4. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

This was done in photoshop.

1. Go to the template's image folder, locate that jpg/gif image you want changed. Open in photoshop.

2. Also open the template psd file, locate the layer that has the pic, delete it.
    Now you've got the background minus the girl.

Drag that background image over onto the top of original image folder jpg/gif, ensure it lines up perfectly with the original underneath.
    Merge layers.

4. Re-save as whatever the original name and file type is.
    Stick the file back in the template's image folder.
    Done!

Probably a few other ways of doing it but this is how I do it.