1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design Transparency Problem

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by unixanalyst, Oct 3, 2007.

1. unixanalyst

unixanalyst New Member

Hello,

I've downloaded a great template from you - thanks very much. It uses a .png picture for the header image. I have created a png picture of my own, which looks great in firefox and ok in ie7 but the transparency is ignored in ie6.

Could you advise how I fix this? http://www.fightphotos.biz/index.htm
    Is it something to do with all the options available when saving in photoshop?

Many thanks,

Danny.

2. elegos

elegos New Member

unfortunately I.E.6 does not support PNG transparency

My suggestion is to break with IE6 and to install firefox :p

mehm... there should be a workaround... using the PHP's GD2 libraries, but I'm not so skilled to create a script for you right now...

3. unixanalyst

unixanalyst New Member

I have FF, wouldn't use IE if they started paying me. That's where the trouble started. I thought the site was fine but got reports that it was garbled. This transparency thing is the last little problem.

I have managed to fix it I think by indexing the colours in photoshop, but at the expense of image quality.

And unfortunately for me 59.89% of my traffic uses IE6.

Are you saying that your gamezone template doesn't show properly in ie6? That has a transparent png for the header image.

Would someone be able to pass me a script for testing browser version and using different images for each?

4. elegos

elegos New Member

5. unixanalyst

unixanalyst New Member

That's a top suggestion, thanks.

Unfortunately it doesn't support CSS background-images. Grrr.
    I was really excited for a minute there.

Any help with a script that will use one background image for FF and another for IE would be much appreciated.

My background-image is specified in my stylesheet. How do I move that decision to a script in the head of my index? I've found a script to get browser type, I just need to know how to define which image to use. The vast majority of my traffic is ie and FF so, call me heartless, I'll be focusing on those.

UPDATE:

Why won't this work for example..?

<SCRIPT language="JavaScript">
    <!--
    var browserName=navigator.appName;
    if (browserName=="Firefox")
    { link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" type="text/css" media="screen" }
    else
    { link rel="stylesheet" href="iestyle.css" type="text/css" media="screen" }
    //-->
    </SCRIPT>

6. unixanalyst

unixanalyst New Member

I've found the answer....

<!--[if IE]>
    <link href="iestyle.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />
    <![endif]-->

Works for MSIE5.5+

It is skipped as a comment by everything but IE. IE reads it and uses a different stylesheet.

Cool!

7. elegos

elegos New Member

so you will firstly load the FF one and then (eventually) the IE one, that will overwrite the first one... am I right?

8. unixanalyst

unixanalyst New Member

I guess so. I'm not sure whether the CSS is loaded as soon as the 'link rel' is encountered or when the body is loaded.

Still better than relying on browser detection and it's fully compliant.

9. elegos

elegos New Member

you could create a php check like this :)

Code:
    if(browser_detection('browser') == 'ie' &&[FONT=monospace] browser_detection('number') <= 6[/FONT])
        echo "     <link href="iestyle.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />";
    else echo "     <link href="normal_style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />";

using this class: http://techpatterns.com/downloads/php_browser_detection.php

10. unixanalyst

unixanalyst New Member

I haven't paid for php support on my website.

Guess that means I can't use php...?

11. elegos

elegos New Member

dunno, try to save this page:

test.php
    Code:
    <?php php_info(); ?>