1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Websites Sta.rtUp.biz - Small Business Social Network

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by optiwizer, Jun 3, 2008.

1. optiwizer

optiwizer New Member

We are going to start launching regional campaigns in July to our new website that is a Social Network for Entrepreneurs and Small Business Owners. http://sta.rtup.biz

Looking for feedback on:

1) the overall usability of the site

2) the "ask the experts" area

3) any thoughts on areas or content that we can add

Feel free to be as honest as possible so that I can make the changes before the launch.

2. Linx

Linx Member

I went through your site and overall it looks fine to me.
    Though, I have some points:
    1. From the first sight, the website looks very busy, it throws a million of links to the user at once, and it's a bit confusing.

2. There is no About Us section. At least tell the visitors who you are, what service you are providing, and give them a reason why they should trust you.

3. And frankly speaking, you website URL is quite difficult to pronounce.

Well.... after browsing your site a couple of minutes, I found it very very useful for people. I like your experts area. It's a really good idea and good website!

Keep it on!

3. emilypal

emilypal New Member

I liked the way your site is organized. Yes there are too many links but I’m used to this when I visit a social network site. So the usability of your site is nice.
    As for me you discuss really useful tips. I believe I’ll go back to your site when I have more free time. And Ask the Experts Area adds trust to your website. I feel like I can get wise advices to my questions there. Time will show if I’m right )
    I also agree with Linx that you should add About Us section. The general idea of your site is understood but it would be great to read a short overview of your site written by its creators. Who can tell about your site and its aims better than you?
    Good luck to your project!

4. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Hello optiwizer. I see you're new here. Those who have been here awhile probably know I give a pretty in depth and honest review - in a constructive way. Are you ready?

First thing I notice when I come to your site: busy busy busy. This there, that there, where should I look? What should I click on? There's something to be said for an easy to navigate website that isn't confusing. You might want to simplify the site some.

Suggestions:
    - get rid of the clutter on the right under "Tell The World About Us." If your site was simpler, this would be fine; but as is, it adds to the confusion.

- Way too many faces on the home page - or at least above the fold when I get to your site. If you really want to keep faces of lots of people on your home page, maybe consider putting them down lower and using that above the fold space to show people why they need to be here.

- the zillion links are a bit much. Can these be organized a bit better to ease navigation and confusion?

I have a saying followers of my blog know: A confused mind always says no.

Your web address, probably too late now to redo, is a bit hard to remember, like other commentators above me have mentioned. "Sta.uUp.Biz" is way hard to remember. I had to look at it 4 times to make sure I got it right just typing it here. I even had to sit up and squint my eyes some to see it.

(ok, I just checked. I spelled your address wrong but I'm not going to fix it to convey what I mean).

I'm not sure what to think about the big picture in the center of the screen of Donny. Is that a video or a link to another page? Either way, it really does nothing to tell your readers the 5 most important things they need to know in 20 seconds:
    - why here
    - why you
    - why sign up
    - what exactly are you and your company about
    - so what

Other than "The Small Business Social Network," I'm at a loss as to what this site can really do for me. The "ask the experts" link helps some. Instead of learning this, I see a bunch of people looking at me and a bunch of pictures of social websites.

About the horizontal menu bar:

My Page and Members should be one and the same. My Page instantly takes me to a sign-up page. Not much chance of getting me to sign up without telling me why quickly. By combining the two you can show people that there are other people here, what they talk about, and what goes on. Then provide a "sign up" or "join" link there.

"The Package" text is confusing.

What is the package? Why click here? What do I get?

Be clear, never be clever. I clicked on it but I'm still not sure what I get. Is it hosting and a SEO'ed website?

On the right where you have "Become a member" or "Sign in now," you should consider creating a link just below that which says, "The benefits of joining our community," or even better, "Why Join?"

Your "Ask The Experts" is a forum I see, but it doesn't look like any forums I'm use to. Could confuse people. To me, it looks a lot more like a blog in the way it works. Are you sure you're not using a blog?

I don't think "Inspiring Images" belongs on your main navigation. The Video one is so-so too.

About content and additions:

- I agree with the others, you need a clear "About Us" page.

- I see 0 content written on the home page. How are you going to convince me to come here and be apart of the community? The convincing is all done in images and links. Maybe add a few paragraphs about what's here.

I hope I wasn't too harsh. It's all meant to help create a successful venture.

Good luck with your site. I wish you guys all the best.

5. cyberquest

cyberquest New Member

I wonder if [​IMG] optiwizer will be back ?

Your site reminds of Eddie Vanhalen - busy but good

6. emilypal

emilypal New Member

I agree with eVentureBiz on these points.
    I believe you'll make some steps to your site's improvement if you follow his advices.
    Even good sites can be improved to be better and even the best.

7. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

@ cyberquest - LOL. Your comments remind me of when I use to be in a rock band. I use to play the guitar solo "Eruption" by Eddie Van Halen.

@ emilypal

There's this curse that goes around on the Web that plagues web designers. You can know everything there is to know about seo, design, coding, etc. and you may be able to design excellent sites and critique others well.

But for some reason, there's some unknown force out there that drains our radar when it comes to working with our own sites.

Is it because we are too close to it? Too emotional? Feel I like it, so others must?

It's like in ishkey's latest website critique post. I made a few suggestions and he agreed completely. I know he knows the things I told him - but it was his site and sometimes when designing your site that mysterious force intrudes on your creative power.

That's why it's important for us to come together as a community and help one another. That' why I keep coming back here.

That was a great comment you made.

8. kathyper

kathyper New Member

A bit confusing design. Too many links and photoes. I got a little tired of it.
    Though I liked "ask the experts" area.
    So I would say I liked your design but I would prefer it to be a little simpler )

9. unibul

unibul New Member

I love this site. I asked a question about optimizing my own site and received the most comprehensive answer ever. Great start.

10. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

What was your question and answer?

In my book, they aren't doing so great here. They ask for help and then never come back to comment or say thank you. This can mean only one thing, SPAM.

They came here to get people like you and me to visit their site and get some traffic.

Anyone with me on this one? I mean, I spent a lot of time analyzing their site and trying to help them - I get silence as a thank you.

So - if they're so great, what was your question and answer they gave you?

11. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Dito -
    You log on to the board and you see 10 posts all with the same name, same day and a link to their site.
    If you want to look at their site, open a new browser window and look form there.
    Do not use the link they supply, as this forum has a high rating and it we don't want to encourage them.

12. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

I didn't realize they had multiple posts all on the same day and then disappeared. That's just stupid. For a company that preaches how to make your company successful, they sure aren't showing us by example.

13. kathyper

kathyper New Member

I'm with you on this idea. It's very annoying to see people who ask questions but never come back to get answers. I think we should treat each others feedback respectully.