1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design Slicing

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by Jaquief, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Jaquief

Jaquief New Member

Hi

I've just downloaded a template and I'm struggling to edit it. I only have basic html experience, no css experience and looking on this site I keep seeing people asking for things to be sliced.

What is slicing?

Also, when it comes to guidelines, I prefer things that are just listed as do this, do that as in: Step 1, open the css file. Step 2, edit and save it. Step 3: etc etc.

Do such guidelines exist? (It's the way my brain works!).

Thanks for your help.

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

When you slice an image, you divide it into several smaller images that you can save in different formats or at different levels of optimization. Because these optimized images can take less time to download than one large image, your Web pages may load more quickly.
    The larger graphics programs have a slicing tool for this purpose. When you finish you can save the sliced up graphic for the web and your program will output it in a table format (the old constrained way of doing it). Now you slice out what you need and by knowing "css" code, you do your coding. Try this post, it's no 1,2,3 but may help understanding it https://freewebsitetemplates.com/fo...ogram-them-before-i-venture-into-known-11601/

3. Jaquief

Jaquief New Member

Thank you.

4. Templateo

Templateo New Member

If you're still interested in slicing, visit tutorial here - you'll find a step by step tutorial, about how to create a template from scratch - starting from empty screen in Photoshop, to downloading a final template file!