1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Websites Retro Game Shop Review please

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by liesauk, Feb 23, 2011.

1. liesauk

liesauk Member

Hi!
    You were all so kind in reviewing my website where we introduced ourselves into the retro video gaming world. I have now made a website that is for selling our goods on. Would you be kind enough to just check it for any errors etc? Thanks everso much guys!!

<3

liesa
    xx:)

2. 1970Forest

1970Forest Moderator Staff Member

3. liesauk

liesauk Member

Hi yup, same beginning URL but the extension(is it called an extension? lol) takes you to a shop which has been done totally seperate from the website if that makes sense lol. I have never done a shop before and I don't have any customers yet (not much on the shelves) so I want to make sure it loads ok, that there aren't any errors and I value everyone's opinion here.

thanks again Forest xx

liesa
    xx

OHHHHHH!!! JUST REALISED lol.. I didnt put the url in hahahahahaha, god i am so blonde

www.thegamer/shop

4. GG

GG Active Member

5. liesauk

liesauk Member

6. Peterpoose

Peterpoose New Member

Hi there, I'm no expert so I can only comment as Joe public.

Firstly I really like the retro idea as I grew up in those times playing those consoles (intelevision anyone hehe)

From the way you write on the first page it gives me a feeling of warmth and not clinical, which I like.

It's a nice clean easy layout and easy to navigate. I would shop here.

Two small things I noticed, on the second paragraph you have an extra space before the "we"

And why the Germany USA living part? Your UK based, maybe you could just put Europe/asia and the yanks lol although it does add to my feeling of a small warm company that cares and isn't overly clinical.

I have also passed on your url to other people who are into this type of thing.

Good luck with it all.

7. simonlarkin

simonlarkin New Member

Friendly, colourful, easy to navigate and once you get in some stock it will be interesting to poke around. A really nice site Liesa.

8. albion

albion New Member

Love retro gaming... maybe adding some classic logo's/images would make it more attractive to the eye. Not that it's ugly...

Perhaps an old school font aswell...

9. boatbuilder

boatbuilder New Member

Nice logo but I feel that there is too much reading to do on the first page. The contrasting blue and red colours are hard to read. The writing is too tightly spaced IMO.
    The shop looks professional.

10. Peterpoose

Peterpoose New Member

Hi little update. A friend that collects all old retro consoles and games was on your site after i gave him the link.

He was after an original Xbox for his collection but says you didnt have any.

Are those even considered retro lol ?

11. liesauk

liesauk Member

Hi Peter

Thanks for sending someone to my site!
    Yes at the moment the Xbox isn't on there, but that is purely because I haven't got round to listing it yet hehehe.. it definately is considered retro in our shop! To be honest if he is a serious collector and wanted it boxed, it is very rare for them to come into the shop boxed. If they do, they normally get sold within a few hours as we have a waiting list for boxed consoles.
    If he is interested in an xbox though, I do have them in the shop and if he wants to email me I can get one out to him straight away xx

thanks once again everyone for your kind comments, I have had a couple of pvt messages too, and I have changed the layout slightly to be more visually interesting!!

liesa
    xx

12. jonabyte

jonabyte New Member

the only thing I might want to change is make it more apparant that this is a retro game shop, the only place I see a reference to it is in the body of the site. maybe add it to the title, or near the logo, or the header.
    other than that it looks good

13. MrFunk

MrFunk New Member

Very good website! Every button and bit of information is where I would look for the first time. It's all in the right spot, good job.

One thing: I agree with the poster above me. It is not instantly clear this is a shop for retro games. Maybe add a tagline in the logo (or put it under the logo)? Something like: Your shop for retro gaming.

About content: be somewhat clearer about shipping. For me it's still a bit vague (at least, on the home page).

14. edo6

edo6 New Member

Design of site is simple, some kind of "retro" :D which suits great to your content.

At the other hand, maybe you should add "retro" font...

To sum up, site is friendly, colourful, easy to read and navigate etc.

PS I'm not an expert :D

15. moon

moon New Member

Evening,

I like the website look, neat, tidy and to the point. Personally would love it to look a bit more eighties in that spectrum / bbc computer / sega kind of way (really play on the nostalgia element heavily).

However I get what it does and I get who you are (ie we love retro games so deal in retro games).

Must say I am curious, your website mentions you have a shop location as well - would you want to make the website more a clear extension of your shop and location or do you want the two to be seen as separate?

If you want your website to be seen as an extension of your shop, a quick google search on your address shows you are in the heart of an interesting-looking creative industries building with a number of quirky neighbours. Is this something you want to show off more via your website?

NB - The forum link didn't seem to work when I tried it.

Hope this is useful.

moon

16. Scottie

Scottie New Member

Very Good Website !!

Clear And Easy To Use

Good Job !!

17. iPlay

iPlay New Member

* Simple and informative design
    * Bit of a retro look to go with the idea of the site
    * Some images are low quality

18. Donisthorpe FC

Donisthorpe FC New Member

Wow!, Your site bought back some fond memories!!!
    Really easy to navigate, didnt get lost once, Basic but suits the retro feel :)

19. adams33

adams33 Banned

Hi yup, same beginning URL but the extension(is it called an extension? lol) takes you to a shop which has been done totally seperate from the website if that makes sense lol. I have never done a shop before and I don't have any customers yet (not much on the shelves) so I want to make sure it loads ok, that there aren't any errors and I value everyone's opinion here.

20. LGM

LGM New Member

very easy to use site but i would personally offer maybe ten percent discount codes if buying two or more games on your site to get more custom.