1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design .psd (Photoshop) file in your template and what can you do with it?

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by Morphie, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Morphie

Morphie New Member

Greetings and yes I'm a newb,

I have downloaded the World of Warcraft template and I want to make my own template out of it - good for practice I guess. But I'm so stuck with it, I really like the idea of this template all the layout etc. some help would be much appreciated =)

Please view the screenshot so you get what I mean.

I have opened it up in Photoshop and I seem to be able to edit anything I want there, now my question is how can I give my website the look after I have edited it in photoshop? Or it is not possible, I just want to change the borders and the header and the red color to something more suitable for my site. Though I'm not sure if I can save this all into a webpage

Are all these website templates designed fully in photoshop? And why does the creator provide us with the .psd file? As my post title says "what can you do with this .psd file?"

Thanks...

2. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

Making changes to a psd file wont change one iota of the website unless you also associate those changes to the images within the template's image folder.
    Here's a for instance -

Attached Files:

3. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

A little knowledge of things is dangerous, understanding now thats usful.
    Nice tut CP.
    It would seem you can do a whole lot with those .psd files. Nice of the creator to provide them. He is very generous.

4. Morphie

Morphie New Member

wow :p now that was a good explanation indeed. Going to try different things out in PS right now

many thanks

5. Robb Symbiant

Robb Symbiant New Member

Question on the .psd files. Some of the templates are already sliced and done up with html with the css. But i found that a few didn't pan up and that they were un-editable in photoshop because the slices were missing. meaning that when you finish tweaking out the template yourself you can not save the .psd with a new updated html file and image folder. why is this? example is the first counterstrike page. it comes up already optimized and sliced but say for example the call of duty 2 template on page 7 i think. when i go to save witht hat one the slices are not there and it basically wantes to save as one file. Could this because it doesn't need it? i am confused on this..