1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design Please, I need help

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by Neese, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Neese

Neese New Member

I have been working on getting my site uploaded for a week and am getting frustrated.

I absolutely love the business template (you guys are amazing!). I have a great home (index.html) page, but there are three vertical gray lines (similar to the horizontal line break in Word) that I cannot figure out how to remove for secondary pages. I am using Dreamweaver MX 2004 and know just enough to be dangerous.

Help, PLEASE!

Denise

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

I'm thinking you are taking about template 20 - that has the picture of the girl with the cell phone up to her ear.

open the style.css file
    find this code (yours will be similar - this code has been modified for a larger width) The blue line of code below is the gray line.
    Code:
    #wrapperi {
            padding: 0px 2px;
            [COLOR="Blue"]background: url(images/dot.gif) 422px 0px repeat-y; /* 319px */[/COLOR]
    }
    Create a new line of code like this and place it under the old line - I used the letter "n" for new - save the file.
    Code:
    #[COLOR="Blue"]wrappern[/COLOR] {
            padding: 0px 2px;
    }
    Open your second html page (whatever you call it)
    Look for this code
    Code:
    <body>
      <div id="wrapper">
        <div id="wrapperi">
          <div id="wrapperj">
    Change your code to look like this
    Code:
    <body>
      <div id="wrapper">
        <div id="wrappern">
    Scroll down to the bottom of the file and find this code
    Code:
            </div></div>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
    </body>
    </html>
    Remove one of the divisions
    Code:
            </div></div>
          </div>
       [COLOR="Blue"] <!-- </div> -->[/COLOR] This commented out so it will not be read by the browser. Like deleting it.
      </div>
    </body>
    </html>
    Save your file and view it.

I use the comment command like above when editing files instead of delete. When I am satisfied with my work I'll go back and delete all of them, so as not to have excess code. This makes it easier to see what you are doing while editing. I will also leave in comments in the code for reference.

3. Neese

Neese New Member

Thank you so much!!!!!

4. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Your welcome
    Sometimes you just have to look at the code a little piece by piece, area by area to see it.
    I look at whats displayed in my browser then I go look at the index.html file to find the area it might be in, from there to the css file.

5. Neese

Neese New Member

I took those steps, but am not familiar enough with the code to know what to change. Going through those steps helped me. I now understand what the wrapper code does and how to change it.

I played around with the nav code to figure out what it did...then promptly changed it back to the original.

Thanks for taking the time to walk me through it.

6. liesauk

liesauk Member

I also find it useful to highlight the bit I am not happy with in normal view and then change to HTML view and you find the offending bit of code is highlighted. This is not suitable if like ishkey did, you need to find multiple bits of code. :)

liesa
    xx

Edit - its also very late and reading back I see it was on a CSS sheet that the alterations needed, and that unfortunately doesnt have a normal view... d'oh... goes to hide in corner.