1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General Page 2 problem

Discussion in 'General' started by clarktwins, Jan 13, 2010.

1. clarktwins

clarktwins New Member

I am using template 28 and have set up my welcome page (index.html) and a page 2 (intro.html). For the second page, I tweaked the style.css document, so I re-saved it as style_p2.css. I edited the intro.html page so it would read this new style sheet when loading. When I go to my Web site, it looks as it should. When I go to page 2, it looks as it should. HOWEVER, after looking at page 2, when I go back to the main page, it loses the style sheet format. It will reappear if I refresh the page, but I shouldn't have to do that. Help, please!

2. enigma1

enigma1 New Member

make sure you specify a base for the HTML document
    eg:
    Code:
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="ltr" lang="en">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
    <title>Some Title</title>
    [B]<base href="http://www.example.com/test/"></base>[/B]

3. clarktwins

clarktwins New Member

I'm afraid I'm too new at this to understand what that means exactly. From looking at my documents, I can see where that text goes, but I don't know what you mean by "base." Should I be putting the text exactly as you've written (except w/my Web page name instead of "example") in both the index.html and intro.html documents?

4. enigma1

enigma1 New Member

yes try adding the base line with your domain instead of example.com and see if it helps. The test path I added it for my tests it the whole path should point to where the pages are. If they are on the root of the domain then use just the domain without a path, eg:

<base href="http://www.example.com/"></base>

5. clarktwins

clarktwins New Member

That didn't work. Instead it completely screwed up the Web page. No style sheet, and all the links at the top reverted back to the "www.freewebsitetemplates.com" links that originally were in the template (although I changed them all).

6. clarktwins

clarktwins New Member

That didn't work. In fact, it messed up the pages. They don't even pick up the style sheets. And several of the URLs I changed from the template reverted back.

7. enigma1

enigma1 New Member

have you placed these pages on the web somewhere or they're on your local system. The base or link tags have to specify the proper path depending where the pages are located.

8. clarktwins

clarktwins New Member

They are hosted by my ISP. I upload everything to the FTP site.

9. enigma1

enigma1 New Member

can you post a link to the page with the problem?

10. clarktwins

clarktwins New Member

11. enigma1

enigma1 New Member

looks like the etcwebspace server is down as I cannot see anything from my end.

So I am not sure if what you are seeing is not some old copy on your browser's cache or the real thing.

12. clarktwins

clarktwins New Member

Must have been a temporary problem, because my email and Web site are coming through now with no server problems.

When making changes to the Web site, I always delete my cache so that I'm certain the page I see is the most up to date version.

13. enigma1

enigma1 New Member

I checked again and is the same thing.

You see the link you posted has your actual site in a frame. And the url there points to:

Karon Warren - Freelance writer & editor

that's where your space is as I understand. And the server doesn't work while you were checking so I think you are looking at something stored locally.

14. clarktwins

clarktwins New Member

Let me first apologize for wasting your time. You've been more than willing to help, & I really appreciate it. That being said, I finally found out what the problem was. When referencing the home page, I left off the full extension for the document (html); therefore, it was clicking to the OLD document (htm). I've corrected the problem & deleted the OLD document from the FTP site, and everything seems to be in order.

Again, thanks for trying to help me resolve this problem!

15. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

An Ellijay GA transplant.
    Did you get hit as hard as Cherokee County with the roads iced over?

16. clarktwins

clarktwins New Member

I've been told we had it worse than Cherokee County. Our major roads, which aren't many, were hit by the DOT guys, so they cleared up by Monday. All the secondary roads suffered; in fact, the road to my house still has spots with snow/ice packs. I figure between the higher temps and rain coming tomorrow, it'll finally clear out of here.

17. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

I live off of hwy 108, 1 1/2 west of Waleska we didn't see salt on hwy 108 or hwy 140 until Sunday. Got down the mountain Monday. Just finished fixing 7 leaks due to the freeze. Not bad for a 30 year old water system. No water from the well for 7 days. Lot's of hiking to the stream, hulling up buckets to flush and sponge bath.
    Still some spots around with snow, mainly in the woods.
    The wife will be coming home soon and I'm sure she'll be joyed to be able to turn on the faucet and see running water.