1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

PHP odCMS

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by tomw, Jun 3, 2010.

1. tomw

tomw Member

If you want to use the free templates found here at this site or any open source design sites you may want to give odCMS a try.

odCMS (Open Designs Content Management System) provides functions to create websites using themes converted from design templates. The conversion is a very easy process. Once you learn how to do it you can convert a design into theme in less than ten minutes.

The websites created can be of the following types:

• Social networking – allow people to sign up as members where they can share interests and activities.
    • Announcements – allow members to broadcast their messages.
    • Forum – open discussions where members can post topics as well as post reply to topics. Visitors can also participate but cannot post new topics.
    • Personal websites – members can set up their own websites where they can create pages for Gallery, Blog or News, and Document (static page). You can create as many personal websites as your web host will allow. Personal websites can also have their own members.
    odCMS team has converted a number of designs where you can simply download from code.google.com into your site. Here is a list of converted themes.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or need help in using odCMS.

2. tomw

tomw Member

We are in the process of converting the designs found here into themes where you can use for your website. Also, we will create a website that will use one of those themes so that you do not need to create one on your own.

Please visit this site for the latest information.

3. SimonJC

SimonJC New Member

Hello Tomw,

I'm currently looking for a CMS that would also me to use a template/design that ive done, i dont agree on using pre-made templates but would like to use one of my own, that would work with my magazine website, to add news, information, new pages, edit pages, add a new top news.

I also want it to when adding a new page use my template layout rather than using a free template as of course im a designer but new to CMS, ive used a comapny that allowed me to add it onto a sever of my client which abled them to edit the content already supplyed but would like it so they can add new pages, lets say they have a topic part of the website that would update them on whats new, whats going on and as such.

Is this Software free?

4. tomw

tomw Member

Hello SimonJC,

Last year a designer at OD asking for simple CMS that is easy to set up, maintain, and use. He was willing to work with anyone who can develop such system. I volunteered and teamed up with him and developed a system we named odCMS. One of the features of this CMS is the ease of designs into themes conversion. Unfortunately not too many people willing to spend the time to learn how to do them so I converted some of the open source designs myself. You can see the list here.

I think odCMS can perform those functions you listed. If not, they can be added with your help. I placed odCMS under GNU General Public License so it is free. I'm happy to work with you to build your sites using odCMS if you're interested.

5. SimonJC

SimonJC New Member

Seams interesting.. please contact me via here PM

6. tomw

tomw Member

I think it is better for us continue to post our discussions in this thread. The information might be useful to someone here. If there are things that you do not want to share with everybody then you can PM me or post your messages here. I will not make them public.

If you're still interested please download odCMS here and install it in your site and let me know when done. Please note that odCMS requires PHP5 with SqLite enabled so make sure your server is configured as such. Looking forward working with you.

7. SimonJC

SimonJC New Member

Ok thankyou,

Will install now. much thanks

8. SimonJC

SimonJC New Member

9. tomw

tomw Member

If your site contains only static pages (type Document - no Blog/News, Gallery, or Forum) you can use one of the odCMS features to generate the HTML documents for all your pages, including index and site map. Once this is done you can display the site's contents with just the generated HTML documents and odCMS is no longer needed.

Here is an example:

Site running with odCMS: admin: Home Page | odCMS - Documentation
    ... with just the HTML documents: admin: Home Page | odCMS - Documentation

If you are concerned about security issue of running your site with a CMS this could be a good option for you to try out. Or if you're unable to install odCMS in your site you can sign up with some of the free hosting service companies, install odCMS there and generate the HTML document pages where you then upload them into your original site. I have signed up a couple of free hosting account and was successfully installed odCMS.

10. SimonJC

SimonJC New Member

Hello, as PM please note ive changed the file location.

However im a little concerned with this CMS to function as i need. The template needs tobe just like it is now, with the links in the correct placement, where the content stays, such as keeping the CSS link style for the news content on the main page. Also only able to edit add or update the information in the main content part of the index.html page. Can add a new page and write up a news report. I still want full control over my coding, i just need this CMS for the staff to add things, and myself when im on the move to edit this via my Iphone.

I'm affraded the design wont work as i would like it too, and how it should.. I dont know what the BBC use but it must work for them as i know they run a CMS based web. I just hope the design is just like it is now, such as my html coded page rather than what it is atm..

If this however cant be done, i will look in other ways and speek other options

11. tomw

tomw Member

With the change as I needed odCMS is now functioning as it should in your site now.

odCMS is designed to totally separating the designs from the codes and the contents so that the designers, programmers, and content providers can work independently. Of course requirements are needed for each group so that the desired outputs can be archive. This is not complicated as you might think. The best way for you to see this process is to create a mock-up of your magazine site with odCMS.

Instead of continuing our discussion here I think it is better to use your site since this is only applying to your site. Please sign up as a member here and use the forum for the discussion.

12. SimonJC

SimonJC New Member

I'm somewhat confused on what this is all about, i wanted to keep the design, not re-design it, that was my aim. you cant design this through the CMS as this wont function how i want it.. im not happy with the layout you say and the way things function, maybe its me but the design needed to stay as it was.

13. tomw

tomw Member

I have to re-design it because yours have too many problems. I think I got it sorted out. Please take a look here since you uninstalled odCMS in your site.

14. Recidivist

Recidivist VIP Member

15. SimonJC

SimonJC New Member

Big thanks for the link..

16. tomw

tomw Member

Now you can create your own website using odCMS here. The site you created can be downloaded into your own server without installing odCMS.

17. tomw

tomw Member

I teamed up with the same designer and developed another CMS we named w-CMS. This CMS shares the functionality of odCMS but it has been simplified greatly. Here are some of the w-CMS features:

w-CMS is a flat file based CMS but you can include database files as well. This CMS is specifically designed for you to build your websites using the templates created by Wolfram Fiedler (aka wfiedler) but you can also use your own templates by converting the designs into themes yourself.

w-CMS Installation requires no set up. Once uploaded into your webhost it is ready to use. If changes are available your installation can be updated automatically by using an installation/update program (install.php) or manually if you so desired.

w-CMS supports multiple sites in each installation and each site can have its own themes for the layouts. Themes can be converted from any designs by following the simple steps of this process.

As with odCMS you can also able to generate HTML pages from the contents you added so that you don’t need w-CMS once this operation is performed.

Let me know if you wish to try out w-CMS and use one of the templates found here at this site and I'll help you to set it up.

18. tomw

tomw Member

Using w-CMS to create a theme from a design is a simple process. Typically you can do this in about 10 minutes. Go to our documentation site to see on how this is done.

We have already converted over 2 hundreds designs into themes where you can simply download from our project site and they are ready to use. However, if you wish to use own designs but having trouble in doing the conversion, we can help you. Just fill out the form at our Main site and we will do the conversion for you. Note that the conversion is for static pages only. Contact and Blog may also be included if no advanced feature is required.

We will make every effect to convert all designs submitted and they will be worked on a first come first served basis. But for whatever the reason, however, not all the submissions will be accepted. Thank you for your understanding.