1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General New to this....

Discussion in 'General' started by MrzJesi, May 11, 2009.

1. MrzJesi

MrzJesi New Member

Ok HI everybody! I am a chatter in a chat forum that uses HTML for the forum page.....Of course some how I got talked into learning HTML so that I could do the page....

And The Owner of the room has asked me to try to learn to use your templates...because she found one she really liked.

I use CoffeeCup HTML editor...and I only know basics.
    I downloaded one of your templates...But not sure what to do with it now! LOL
    Can I even use my HTML editor with your setup? *sigh* I am a farely fast learner...But I am lost to all of this...
    Please if anyone has time to explain this to me I would be very greatful!
    Thank you much!
    MrzJesi:eek:

2. sbank44

sbank44 New Member

MrzJesi,

Get a cup of coffee and have a read over the following. It will set you up to start creating your own website.

Web editors such as Dreamweaver provide a good interface but they produce code that won't necessarily work with all browsers (Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Apple Safari, Google Chrome).

I always advise new starters to learn to code HTML and CSS in notepad (or Dreamweaver's 'Code' area) rather than using the 'Design' area of an editor to put the pieces together. This is very good practice.

A good place to start is W3Schools.
    Learn HTML: http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp
    Learn CSS: http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

If you want an idea of how these templates work then if we use building a house as a comparison then the HTML is the brickwork and the CSS is the wallpaper.

A HTML page is made up of 'tags'.

Tags have a start tag: e.g. <html>, and an end tag </html>. You put content inside them to form your website.

Two more useful pieces of code are the <head> and <body> tags. Your <head> tag defines all the extra meta information about your page (i.e. title, which CSS (wallpaper!) to use, a description of your website). Your <body> tag comes beneath the <head></head> tags and contains everything you want to actually *show* on the page.

Here's an example:

<html>
    <head>
    <title>Enter the title of your website here</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" media="screen" />
    </head>
    <body>
    <h1>This is a heading on my page</h1>
    <p>This is a paragraph on my page.</p>
    </body>
    </html>

Notice the <head> tag comes first, then the <body>. The <link> tag also has some 'attributes'. These are extra pieces of information related to the tag that allow the browser to pickup extra information about how to 'render' your page.

In this case we use 'href=' (Hyperlink Reference) to specify which CSS (wallpaper for our brickwork!) to use.

We also have a heading and a paragraph to display on the page.

I hope this helps to start you off and feel free to private message me if you have any more queries.

p.s. To put a chat feature on your page is slightly more complicated, but if you already have a working example then I'm sure it won't be too difficult to implement your chat into one of these templates!

Regards,
    Sbank44

3. MrzJesi

MrzJesi New Member

Thank you very much for the help!! I will have a look over the web sites you hae both posted and get back to you with more questions Im sure:) LOL