1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design Needing Help with Html for pic change

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by Nicole23, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Nicole23

Nicole23 New Member

Dear Forum;

I am wondering if you can help me. I have been using the old frontpage for quite some time and I am now using Frontpage 2003 for the last 2 weeks. In the past whole week I have been trying to edit a template I downloaded from this site and the problem I am having is with in specific the picture of the Girl on the Left of this template

it's name is Photo 1 however it doesn't appear in the html anywhere. When i click on it, it doesnt' allow me to delete it or play with it in anyway to replace it with the picture i would like.
    I have even tried cheating and getting the picture i have with the exact same dimensions and copy and pasting the exact name of the jpg into the images folder and overwriting the old picture so it can not get that picture and while this may work inside frontpage offline as soon as I upload it it won't work at all it just appears as a blank white hole.

also the downside of that is I can't edit it once i use the cheat way. Is there anyone that can see in the code of this template why or where I should be editing to change this photo_1.jpg. As I can't seem to do a thing with it and after all the hours today I can not think of anything else i could do to replace this picture and I have started at the html code til I can't see anymore and I obviously do not have enough knowledge about why this isn't listed or how to change as the other photo's 2-7 are listed in the html.

I would appreciate any help with this picture of the girl on the far left and the proper code or place to adjust it. the template is Beauty Company
    https://freewebsitetemplates.com/preview/beautycompany/#

thank you very much for reading my help post.

2. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

I honestly don't know what you've done. I downloaded that full template, dragged photo_1.jpg out of the image folder and into paint shop pro, covered the whole pic in flowers and resaved it.
    Opened in both Frontpage '03 and my FF browser just fine.

Although I did notice that your link, when opened in my browser after 'saving page as", had a blank white nuffin there.
    Weird. :confused:

If you need a hand with changing some of the graphics let me know.
    CP

3. Nicole23

Nicole23 New Member

still no luck

Thank you so much for your reply . I have had another go at changing it from the start up but it is still not working. I am only using frontpage I don't have photoshop. is that neccesary to change the files. I thought if like when i click on photo 2 etc i can just inert a pic and it seems ok but with that photo it just won't do a thing. After what you have said though about a 'white' nothing' i will go now and re download and try from the start again and see if anything changes. I am just not sure why it won't change unless I need photoshop?

the other photo's are listed in the html as well but when i read the code i can't see that photo 1 either and that also confuses me eventhough it's there in that download.

Thank you for your offer of help with the template I just might need a hand. I will try again after downloads and see how it goes but i really appreciate your reply and help offer. If i do need photoshop can you let me know as i thought frontpage would be enough as it seems to change the other things on the template.

thanks again for your help and reply.

4. Nicole23

Nicole23 New Member

p.s

yes when i rename another pic of same dimensions with the exact name it shows up offline but when i upload it doesn't at all and that is very strange as it looks ok when i do it offline on the computer so it's not until i upload it that i can see the dissapeared' photo and then when i look through the html i can't find the Photo 1.jpg in the code anywhere to change or delete if say i was going to through the code only and that is very weird to me . But as i say I am no where near well experienced in Html but i have always seen the image.jpg name and it's location in an html of a template .

5. Nicole23

Nicole23 New Member

have redownloaded but

Hi Again :)

Have redownloaded the template and just clicked on the green pic beside it etc in frontpage and hit delete and it deletes the inner pic like the others . Have tried to do with that pic just on it's own before going further and it doesn't select in anyway for me at all.

the little blue squares come up at the sides like the other pics but unlike all the others it doesn't delete for me at all does it for you?

it's got me stumped as even when i select it and go 'split' to look at code as well as view i still can't see the photo 1 .jpg in the code of the new download. so this really has me confused. if you could let me know if your frontpage lets you delete it like it does the other smaller pics beside etc and let me know that would be a great help as i would at least know it wasn't only me and that for some reason the refernece to the pic isnt' in the html the same as mine rather than it being a setting or something i am missing in my in experience.
    thanks again Covert :) can be a bit frustrating can't it especially when like me you aren't overly experienced .
    ta again.

6. CovertPea

This is what I don't understand, why would you want to delete it?
    Obviously there's some html or css coding there that treats that particular area you're trying to delete as a 'place holder', basically a pre-sized spot reserved for a graphic and that graphic being "photo_1.jpg".

If it can't find a 'photo_1.jpg' in it's image folder it shows up as that white nothing.

If I want to change that image in Frontpage (like I did with a flower picture) I'd get the 'photo_1.jpg' from the image folder ('cause that's the only place I can find the darn thing!) replace that image with your preferred image of exact same dimensions and re-save it as 'photo_1.jpg' back in the original image folder.
    You don't need paint shop pro, you could use mspaint or the MS photo editor that comes with XP.

PS
    Don't forget to refresh in FP to see the updated new image.:)

7. Nicole23

Nicole23 New Member

hi again covert

Hi again Covert;

thanks again for your reply. I was only wondering if it could be deleted in the sense to try to find out why it was treating it different than the other pics ( as im not that conversant at all when an image isn't listed as to why it wouldn't be) I did try that very thing in mspaint it was the first thing to replace the image with the exact same name in the images folder and also to just draw over the girl and resave etc, i tired and have done over half dozen times now and it looks ok in frontpage offline as i was saying but the instant i upload all the files to a site it's just a white hole of nothing there. That seems to be the one constant problem. it's just got me stumped as i can see the pic i have replaced it with or drawn over etc ok but on upload it's a white void. that's the only thing i am having trouble with , with this template.

so i thought maybe if it was deleteable i would see what was 'missing' then from the html but i couldn't see anything so that's why i was wondering if that happened to you as well.

thanks for the reply it's all helping me to try to find out why I can't get it to work online only offline where it looks ok. wish it was the other way round.

well may try to come up with something else tommorow to try .
    thanks again for your time. :)

8. SpAz

SpAz New Member

This image is basically the background image of that div area, not actually part of it.

You can easily remove this image and push those green, purple and orange buttons to the left... but that would leave you a white gap on the right side then, and not the left side...

Make sure when you're actually editing this image and replacing it, that you have the file uploaded to the site... An actual URL of your site might help so we can view it and possibly help you out even more.

9. CovertPea

I'm a tad 'fick' when it comes to this html stuff. I finally understand what you mean now and I am lost for an answer.

so....

C'mon all you clever coding members out there. Got any ideas that could help out this lady????
    pretty please?:eek:

10. SpAz

SpAz New Member

can you perhaps zip or rar the files you have (images, css and index file, including the new image you want it replaced to) and attach it to a post here?

11. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

FrontPage is an object oriented software not a editor like notepad. Think of a empty house, say the living room. Now you have a bunch of funiture (the objects, pre-made) as opposed to you having to make the furniture (notepad). In FP you drag the objects to where you want them, FP generates the code in several support files, as opposed to you having to code to where you want to put the objects like in notepad.
    So you must remember a few things. You must keep all your files in the proper directories, pics in pics dir, etc. You cannot change these names FP sets up. You must save the whole project as a web. You must not break the links to any of the sub-directories FP creates. You must ONLY use FP's File Upload or you will break the links, and it will not look right on the website.
    There have been many times when in FP you have to create a new web with all the same info and then it works. MS has had this problem forever, this is why FP is nomore and Expression Web is it's replacement.
    Dreamweaver is the same type of program.
    Both are quirky in code generation, but great for non programmers.
    You can always try a different program like http://www.w3.org/Amaya/
    or http://www.alleycode.com/ both a free.
    That's the best I can do CP and it's for memory.
    PS I am working on the css file.

12. Nicole23

Nicole23 New Member

P.s just a question

if you aren't using photoshop etc. and only fronptage is it neccary to have the PSD file uploaded for the template to work? I am just wondering if that's a waste of time uploading if you aren't editing it etc. as i always upload everything that comes with the templates but on dial up at this slow speed it takes abotu 20 mins to upload the 1.50mb psd file so i was wondering not only for that reason but also becuse i wouldlike to understand if those psd files are just put there so you have the option to edit in photoshop or something ?

ta (that probably sounds like a very stupid question but i honestly do not know the answer to that and just upload everything that is 'with a template' regardless. it would be nice to know if it's just 'dead timeupload' and why though. :)

13. Nicole23

Nicole23 New Member

Url pasted now for a bit

hello again

http://www.geocities.com/zippyweb45/

ok what i have done is just had to upload to a geocities site ( i guess it will be ok up for a week) so hopefully it can be looked up maybe as suggested by Spaz by any of you good folks just so as it can be viewed online somehwe in an uploaded state.So you could maybe have a look if possible.

so what i have done just so as it's known what i fiddled with
    I have put 2 gifs up the top to replace what was there ( this is all just gobbledegook i did to send them a screenshot as to what it would look like if but they will choose the pictures i will do the text when ready if this problem can be sorted out and fixed up so please ignore the silly wrting etc and headings i just needed to know if i could edit it.

so in total I put:

* 2 gifs pics up the top and took out gif that was there ( as you can see on original template)

* changed some of the text and headings and (i did change and delete pics to see if it was possible and the little ones to the right of the problem pic etc are ok it seems so i put them back as i know they seem to be ok and are also listed in teh html in any case to change on original)

* I took out 2 of the headings where home and contact hyperlinks are at the top as the person and myself will want less links than the template had ( i haven't hyperlinked them etc as i was saying i thought better see if i can work this photo prob out before spending a week doing 4 pages of linking and pics text etc and then i can't do this photo with my inexperience.

* I have uploaded all the files with the original including the new
    186x271 example phone renamed with the exact name of the original called. photo_1.jpg so if it's not showing up it isn't becuase it's not uploaded and i have checked and double checked the file name.

Here is the url if you should like to have a look at it to help me solve my problem of the mysterious whitebox in that left hand spot that show s up the replacement pic example on offline previews in FP but uploaded i get white space. so I have spent the rest of the time mucking around with it rather than make the rest of the site first otherwise i thought I might find out i can't fix it after the pages are all done etc hence the silly names and headings etc so please ignore that as they are obviously not the real names or text etc.

(oh and i completely deleted the original girl photo 1 pic first to the bin in teh computer before creating or uploading this time so it's no where offline or online to interfere with the replacement of the same name etc)
    url is

http://www.geocities.com/zippyweb45/

( i know i need to change the url for the images folder I have tried to put the full url before the images/ bit and it didn't work so as i am running out of time and it's 4am I can't quite figure that file path correctly to reflect the geocities in the 10 mins i have left before getting cut off so i have put them in the main so that it would be like as if it's in the comptuer or in frontpage or the normal original template til i get more time before i get cut off the net here mucking round with image folder so i will take 'images' text/out of the html so that out so they show up on the pages as normal til tommorow when i can get more time to try to work out what the file pathe should be as i thought once i had uploaded all the images into a new folder there called images i would just have to put the url above before the/images etc but it didnt' work so that's the best i can figure for the night or morning so far.) thanks again everyone for having a look for me :)

14. ishkey

read this it may help https://freewebsitetemplates.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5694

the template is made from that psd file then sliced, refined and then coded into a css file and a html file and a directory of images.
    No you do not have to upload the psd file.
    You can edit it's parts if you need to change something and then save the new pics.
    You can learn as to how the psd file is made to make your own templete.
    You can delete it and same space.

15. SpAz

SpAz New Member

Ok well, after reading your last post, I checked the page out and noticed that inside the "images" folder, there is no photo_1.jpg to replace the old image that was there.

The CSS file states:
    now, as you can see there, that photo_1.jpg has to be in the images directory for it to work. Since it's not in there, and it's not working. You can either go into your style.css file and find this line. replace it with the actual directory where the image really is, or make sure you have that image uploaded inside your image directory.

Since you have that image in the main directory... You can open your style.css file and edit the line above to say:
    That should fix your problem. Sometimes things aren't in the actual html pages for the site, but inside the CSS file itself. So, if you don't find it in a certain spot, then look in another until you can find it and replace it.

16. Nicole23

Nicole23 New Member

Does it show up now?

HI again

I have just relogged in 4 more times and managed to get a speed of 45kbs which is enough for it not to time out. i have re done what you said spaz and ishkey. DO you see a thing in there now? please let me know if you can as i can see it but im not sure even though i have cleaned my cache files if it's just this comuter ( sometimes it happens to me that it's hiding somewhere else more than temp internet files etc.

if you could let me know that would be great! thanks again .I am off to read Isahkeys advice url.

:)

17. ishkey

Your image is there

Attached Files:

• eh.jpg
      eh.jpg
      File size:
      139.7 KB
      Views:
  18. Nicole23

Nicole23 New Member

Ishkey

Thanks so much for checking for me. :) thank you to everyone who helped also especially Spaz and Covert. I am going to have to keep re reading here the url and also keep playing with what i have been told with the code in order to understand how frontpage is repackaging the saved files as the old one didn't seem to have that issue i think cause it used to relabel and stick them in theplaces for you and 2003 doesn't/

thanks for checking the image was there for me :)

Thanks again everyone for your help. Now we can go ahead with actually designing a site after weeks of trying to work that one thing out . I just couldn't get my head around that as i have said before every photo or gif i have always see in the html so this was a first for me .
    ta again :)
    :)

19. SpAz

SpAz New Member

You're very welcome for the help...

Just remember, when you're redoing images and such, make sure the Image Dimensions are the same size of the one you're replacing. Otherwise it may mess things up with the look of the pages.

Also, Images aren't always in the actual html files, but sometimes in the css files as well. So it's always good to check each file. You can open all those files in Notepad and press (Ctrl + F) to do a Find for certain key words in the files. Then once you find that certain file with the item you're looking for, you can then take the necessary steps in replacing what you want to.

20. Nicole23

Nicole23 New Member

thanks Spaz

Thanks Spaz for the Css information i want' aware of that. Control + F is one of my best friends :) being so ametuer to the 'web' making side i find it so very easy to overlook 1 file or 1 picutre and then it doesn't work searching via the eye can trick me for ages sometimes.

The other thing i have found is that i have to remember that out spelling for colour rather than color and a couple of other normal commands i type in wrong so I am getting used to the U.S spelling so i dont' do that mistake over and over. Ihave had things not work and spent hours looking only to find the word is correct but the spelling isn't in the U.S format as it should be for the program , so I am learnbing more every day and remembering more the 'dont' forgets' that i am being told :) thanks again eveyone and thanks spaz for the heads up.