1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design Need Help Editing website.

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by Rich, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Rich

Rich New Member

Hey all :)

So I was editing one of the free templates by deleting some of the menu's and boxes that weren't needed. But by doing so I seem to have messed up the coding somehow. At the bottom of each box there's a break. Not quite sure how I've messed it up :(. Also somehow I've messed up the spacing for the images on the right. Orginally it had two on each column, But i think the text has pushed some of them down. I think I must have deleted some important tags or something. Because also when running the html validator i'm getting lots of errors, whereas the original was perfect :)

the site is www.vendetta-alliance.net

any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Rich

*Edit.. sorry I just realized I posted this in the wrong section.

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

the site looks fine to me.
    but a better way than deleting things, is to understand the code and try useing the comment command <!-- foo -->
    example;
    <!-- <div id="news">
    <h2>Leadership</h2>
    </div> -->
    The code now is a comment and not displayed in the browser.

This way you can see the results without loss of code. If it works as you want, then go back when you have finished editing everything you want and delete out the commented code.

If your page is wrong it might be easier to loadup a fresh page and try the above. Thrash the old one.

3. Rich

Rich New Member

yeah I managed to fix it. :) it was just that i hadn't closed some tags properly.

Thanks for the response and the advice though! adding comments will probably help for the future however.:)

another problem that I've noticed, although not really a serious one.. is that firefox seems to position images and text slightly wrong. Is there anything I can do to fix this? or is it something I'll just have to live with?

Thanks

Rich

4. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

until all the browsers conform to the same standards (which is close) you have to live with it or fine tune what you have. you could try using % in the sizing. or
    you could go into detail and create a second css just for firefox and in the html place code which directs the browser to the right css file. (lot's of work)