1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design menu

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by hadog, Sep 24, 2009.

1. hadog

hadog New Member

Hi
    I am using one of the templates and I would like to make a change.
    At the top of the page there is a menu bar....I have changed it to suit my needs.
    How can I add a similar bar to appear at the bottom of the page? Just copt and past the code? What is I want this bottom bar to direct to different areas than the top?

thanks

2. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

It would help our coders if you could tell them which template you're trying to alter.

3. hadog

hadog New Member

my mistake u are right...it is the Bike Template

4. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

you would also have to admend the css file which controls how the menu looks and where it is on the page.

5. hadog

hadog New Member

I have been trying to do this within the index and css file but to no avail

6. ishkey

what did you try - post your code.
    what level knowledge of html/css do you have.
    what were you going to do with the footer in the page layout. if you look at it, it's a curved graphic.

7. hadog

hadog New Member

HI

My level is low

I am trying to add two more buttons there are 7 now in the menu I am trying to add two more to the end ( tryied resizing) or even start a second bar on another line. Tried adjusting the navlist but I get a mess.

Tried adding another bar to the bottom of the screen with no luck...this was just a cut and paste in the index and css files....renameing the navlist to navlist2

8. ishkey

I am always amazed with people. They expend energy trying to find the shortcuts, rather than understanding the basic building blocks.

here are two links which should get you on track.
    https://freewebsitetemplates.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10992
    https://freewebsitetemplates.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5694

Adding two more buttons when you are out of space is like trying to add more water to a glass that is already full, it just spills out.
    This is where a basic understanding of code would help.
    Look at your code in the index file. See the first <div> "central"
    HTML:

<body>
    <div id="central">

Now go look at the style.css file and find "central" and look at the width the page is set at. Scroll down and you will see "width" shows up in other places. You could increase the width, which will allow for more menu items. This template is designed to be viewed on a monitor set at 800px wide, so you would increase it for the next standard viewing size, since hardly anyone uses that setting anymore. (you need to do some research here).
    If you increase all the 777 widths the page stretches, but now the body where the text and pictures are looks all wrong. That's just means you have to go back and adjust those widths. (basic math here)
    Just like the above example - look at the code for the for the menu it's called "navlist" create a second series of code for the bottom menu, with the proper properties, give it a new name and then call it from the index file.
    so cut/paste alone will not work.