1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General Lost, Confused (help with opening and using templates)

Discussion in 'General' started by Deservin, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Deservin

Deservin New Member

I have downloaded a free trial version on photoshop CS4 but I am not sure what to do with it because all I have is a whole bunch of zipped files. Does anyone know how I can use this before my 30 day trial runs out so I can do some editing to the templates. I can not seem to edit anything with the image files that were downloaded. Are we suppose to be able to enter our own pictures in these jpg files? How do I get started. I am so frustrated. Please help. :confused: :(

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

The age old problem. Which came first the chicken or the egg?
    You have downloaded a very powerful program with a steep learning curve, google and learn fast. If you do not know what to do with a zip file, which has been around since the days of DOS, you are not ready for CS4, let alone most any other program.
    Sorry but only you can learn all that you need to know to run CS4. Next time try tutorials, books or whatever to learn, then download and install the 30 day trial.

3. Deservin

Deservin New Member

Thank you for responding. Ok, I guess my question is do I need photoshop to get started? I was able to download the 4 files for the beautysecrets template (images, beautysecrets.psd, index.html, and style.css) but I don't know what to do from here.

I guess my previous post was a little confusing. I am familiar with how to unzip a file, but I got so many when I downloaded photoshop I did not know how to tie them all together. Lets forget about photoshop for now. How do I get started? How do I replace the pictures with my own? Someone mentioned a tutorial "A Basic Prime" by Ishkey. Where can I find this and is this a good place for me to start. Thanks in advance for all of you guidance, it is much appreciated.

4. ishkey

https://freewebsitetemplates.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4
    is where you will find the tutorial and get you started.
    At the very basic level you can use notepad. A better and free editor to use is http://www.alleycode.com/ it displays code in color, so it is easy to understand. It's has enough power for the novice to advance user and it has a few basic tutorials. Alot of people look at it and think there isn't much to it, so they say it can not be good and that's where they are wrong. Just download it and use it.
    It's one thing to always be on the client side ie., facebook, myspace, im or whatever. It's another to work on the server side and become a programmer. Start small, understand it, add to it, work your way up. It really is fun as opposed to I want it all now. Since May of 2007 I have worked with Design Premium CS3 and I still am only half way to understanding it. My main programming comes from older stand alone programs. I use different tools for different tasks. Take your time, read, try something, then improve on it. Once you understand the basics, the rest becomes easy.

5. Deservin

Deservin New Member

Thank you so much Ishkey,

You are a Heaven sent. I have removed photoshop from my computer, downloaded alleycode, and printed the "A Basic Primer" tutorial. I am almost embarrassed to say that I have a degree in Management Information Systems where we learned different types of coding. But after graduation in 2002 I could not find a job within my major so I have not touched it since graduation and I feel like I am starting all over again. But I am in this for the long haul so the slow start process is right up my alley. I really appreciate your replying so quickly. I hope I can get to the point where I am also able to give back to this forum. Thanks alot.

6. ishkey

My pleasure, if you have any more questions just ask. All of us here a FWT try to help as much as possible. Just remember, it is easier to break things down into smaller parts and work on the sections you understand, as opposed to digesting the whole thing at one time. (The Hurrier you go the Behinder you get)
    Good luck and don't forget to post a link in the Review section so we can see your work. You will be amazed at all the good feeed back you will get.