1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Websites It's our show (expo) site

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by AkrobatAttack, Feb 4, 2010.

1. AkrobatAttack

AkrobatAttack New Member

We've just spent 20k+ for the entire build of this site (design, architecture, mapping, testing, etc.)

Being 22, I have a different taste and expectation of styles for things being introduced into media these days. Unfortunately, we were limited to 4 templates from which we would work from for the project. Thus, we ended up with this.

I'm not sure how much flexibility we have with the architecture - I'd like to make at least the simple issues fixed (eg. reduce the overbearing amount of red). Please let me know of your ideas.

myprocessexpo.com​

Website Review
    Post your website here to get other members to review your site. Please give a review for someone else before you ask for one.
    Thanks for giving the review.

2. TheWomensGame

TheWomensGame New Member

Hi,

Just a couple of my thoughts. Overall it looks good and lets me know what its all about pretty quickly.

Personality and Appearance

Your website personality is great. It looks professional so it gives the viewer a feeling of confidence in you and the expo's organisation. In short, I feel like I wouldn't be wasting my time going!

While it has that clean feel that most people go for (unless you are creating a kids site and want lots of colour and flashing lights) you could probably add a couple more images in the left side panel. You have one pic already but another 1 or 2 give clear visuals of what the expo is about would be good. We know from the words what the expo is about but as you know people (guys especially) work better with and remember visuals.

Design & Layout

I also think your top banner is a bit too generic....I'm all for simple but if you are having a banner make it say something about your site and it's purpose. Right now it says to me corporate and maybe city. What do you want it to say? Remember people's eyes always look up a page and centrally; catch their eyes. Suitable and appropriate images enhance a site.

I like your colour scheme and have kept a simple palette. Three colours are always optimal. Good spacing. As I mentioned a couple of images in the left side panel will also balance the site out. Currently it's top and right heavy.

Also, I don't know if you want to acknowledge any sponsors or partners on the front page. They usually like that!;)

Reader Usability & Functionality

Nothing to say here. All good, easy navigation bar and WYSIWYG.

Page Source

Depending on whether you want it searchable, you need a more definite title and a couple of key words. At the moment it reads just as your website address. Maybe Process Expo 10, Chicago - The expo for processing and packaging equipment suppliers...

But maybe some-else on the forum can help here. This is not my forte, I leave it to the SEO guys!

Final thoughts

Wow, I know you paid 20K+ for it. Some bad news, for the kind of site that you had, no flash, no e-carts, no forums or major interaction with viewers etc, you could have gotten away with a lot less.

Just a tip for the future; I don't know how web or computer savy you are but there are a lot of great, easy to learn and functional content management systems out there. With some tutorials (lynda.com is good) you can set it up yourself and manage it yourself. It would not cost anywhere near as much. If you go again, ask around on this site (they seem great and happy to help) on ideas of how to get start cos' being charged a bomb is NOT cool. :(

3. navyfalcon

navyfalcon Well-Known Member Verified Member

To check your meta tags (title and description)
    On the top tool bar click on view - go to page source
    Look for the title and description
    <title>Process Expo 2010</title>
    name="description"

Google displays 66 characters (including spaces) in the title
    They are the keywords that have the most value. Make good use
    of them
    Below the title Google displays 150 characters (including spaces)
    of the description. These two meta tags are the most important.
    They help attract people to your site. Use them effectively.

What Google says about it
    Changing your site's title and description in search results - Webmaster Tools Help

Now, to make the sponsors happy.
    Show some pictures and write something about the the food
    (pictures) and what to expect at the expo from the sponsors.
    -
    hope this helps
    falcon

4. navyfalcon

navyfalcon Well-Known Member Verified Member

-
    You should be able to make changes with a good "HTML Editor"
    I will suggest "AlleyCode". It is free and will make the changes you want and need.
    Free HTML editor wysiwyg - Alleycode HTML, Text, PHP editor , Free website testing tools
    -
    Also, you will a good photo or image editor
    PhotoPlus &ndash; Free Image & Photo Editing Software Download
    -
    Examples of other "Food Expos"
    Worldwide Food Expo - The World's Food Processing and Packaging Marketplace
    (mainly for the banner - or top design)
    another example
    Home - Western Foodservice & Hospitality Expo
    and another example
    Fancy Food Show
    example of thanks for support (bottom left)
    Home :: Expo Comida Latina California
    and finally another example
    The 2010 Mid-Atlantic Food, Beverage and Lodging EXPO
    -
    hope this helps
    falcon