1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design Issues Changing Hyperlink Address

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by InteLogitec, Mar 29, 2014.

1. InteLogitec

InteLogitec New Member

Every time I attempt to change the hyperlink address for social media, it is immediately changed back. For example, it begins with http://facebook.com/freewebsitetemplates and I try to change it to my own. I add the http:// and everything. This is the second time I've used a template and the first time I didn't have these issues. The template is called Motion Graphix. Please help! You can contact me at g.boss@InteLogitec.com or comment on the thread post.

2. Mimoun

Mimoun Administrator Staff Member Director Verified Member

Most likely it's because your changes haven't been saved to your HTML files.
    Do you have this problem just on your hosted website online or also on your own computer?

3. InteLogitec

InteLogitec New Member

I haven't published the files to hosting yet, the problem is occurring within the HTML editor. At first I thought the issue was with the editor, but the first template I downloaded from the site didn't have the issue. I change the hyperlink property and before I can save it the address immediately changes back.

4. Mimoun

Can you try to change any other text and see what happens?
    Go to your HTML file and look at the properties and see what the last date changed time is.
    What is the editor you are using?

5. InteLogitec

InteLogitec New Member

I changed other text and everything else stays the same. I don't believe the issue is with the text, but instead with the hyperlink properties. The editor is "Microsoft Web Expression 4". As I previously stated, I believed it was an issue with the editor, but the first template I downloaded didn't have the same issue.

6. Mimoun

The problem is with the Microsoft Web Expression 4 editor.
    Editors like the one from Microsoft have a bad habit of doing too much.
    My guess is that the editor has a standard way of editing URLs and you did not use it correctly this time. Try a different way of editing the URL.

I don't use the editor myself and haven't used Windows as my main OS for years now. So it will be hard to help you out here.

Maybe someone from the community can help you out here.
    If not I will boot up my Windows OS Virtual Machine and see if I can find the problem.

7. InteLogitec

InteLogitec New Member

Unfortunately I don't have time to wait for the community to get back to me. I have to run a business and this template is the most professional I can find that appropriately suits my needs.

What I don't understand is why the editor was fine with the first template I downloaded and is now having issues. I'm unaware of the complications of you booting up your Windows OS Virtual Machine, but as of now you are my best bet.

Thank You in Advance, I Appreciate It.

8. InteLogitec

InteLogitec New Member

I personally added a button to the HTML and the hyperlink worked fine. The issue seems to be with your HTML and CSS for the Social Media Interactions, as if it is set to one option and one option only.

9. InteLogitec

InteLogitec New Member

I downloaded a different editor and the problem went away. Still though, if possible I'd like to know why it won't work for the Microsoft editor. I use it primarily.

10. Mimoun

I don't have a problem with Windows, I just don't like using it anymore.

Anyway I booted my Windows VM and I just tried editing it with Microsoft Web Expression 4 (the free version) and it works fine for me.
    Did you use this motion template ?

11. InteLogitec

InteLogitec New Member

Yes, that's the one! And did you try changing the hyperlinks to a different facebook or social media page? It will let me change any text, I just can't edit the hyperlink addresses.

12. Mimoun

I made the changes using the Tag Properties and changed the href and it works fine.

13. InteLogitec

InteLogitec New Member

I tried that and it worked! I was changing the code and it wasn't working. Went to edit tag and it worked. Thank You!

14. Mimoun

Great to know you got it to work. Feel free to share your website URL once it's done.

Ruthe and Dawn like this.