1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm so new I'm green

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Funlovn, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Funlovn

Funlovn New Member

I know NOTHING about doing a website, however, its my responsibility to get one done. My husband & I are starting our first business (R/C Model Boat Racing supplies). I saw some great templates, I would like to learn, will someone help me?

I know, I'm supposing to be telling something of myself at this point, but the only description of myself I can give at this moment is: "Frantic" (that describes my look), "Terrified" (is how I feel). You see, I am NOT even computer "literate"! :eek:
    If anyone here believes that an old dog CAN learn new tricks, PLEASE help me.:eek:

P.S.
    I do enjoy,RVing and RC model boat racing, fishing and chatting with my grandkids(when I get a chance to).:)

2. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Hello Funlovn. Nice nickname.

Welcome to this forum. A lot of people come and go here but there's always people around to help.

I own a web hosting company geared toward entrepreneurs. I just started a community forum on our site where you can always ask for my help and I run a blog where I talk about web development, marketing, and thinking like an entrepreneur. You might find it useful.

If you need a website, there are plenty of great templates on here. If you need hosting, check our site out. I'm always available for our customers to help them when I can.

Take care,

3. koflash

koflash Member

Don't worry, I'm sure you can learn a lot of stuffs about web design on the net for free! :)

4. Linx

Linx Member

Hello Funlovn!
    That's good that you've decided to get your business online, and it's good that you have selected this forum in particular. This is a good place with a lot of useful tips and tricks.

Good luck with your project!

5. Funlovn

Funlovn New Member

Thanks for your helpful suggestion and offer John, I will be checking out your site. First ? to you is: What is a host and is that necessary to have a website or can you just use one of these templates and "presto" the website is born and you're good to go? (is that considered...3 ?s :eek::D)

Thanks for your encouragement Koflash;).

Thanks to you also Linx, for your support and reassurance that I've come to the right place. Yes, some of the templates I've seen are awesome, and it adds to my panic because I don't have a "clue" how you all come UP with this stuff, it's great! I'm excited to start learning!

Funlovn:confused:

6. Welcome to FWT :)

7. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Hey Funlovn. I'm heading out the door at the moment but will come back later today and answer your question in detail.

For now just think of it like this. The website is what you build and is all your computer files, pictures, text, etc.

Web hosting is the landlord. Once you build your website on your computer, you have to upload it to somewhere so that it is visible for everyone to see.

Have a great day and I'll be back.

8. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Hello Funlovn.

There are two areas of concern to think about: Web Hosting and Web Design.

Web Design:

This is when you create your website. For example, if you were a web designer you would create a website on your computer with pictures, text, etc. Once designed it's now sitting on your computer's hard drive, but of course no one but you has access to your hard drive. Your website is just some files on your computer.

Web Hosting:

After you've designed your website (or you can set it up before and is a good thing to do) you need to upload all those files somewhere and tell people what web address to type in their web browser (like Internet Explorer) to find your website. For example, my website's address is http://www.eventurebiz.com. It's kind of like giving the address of your house to someone so they can find your house.

There are two steps you must complete to get your website on the Internet once you have designed it (or during):
    1. Get a domain name (for example, eventurebiz.com)
    2. Get and pay for web hosting
    All web hosting companies allow you to buy and search for a domain name. Try going to my site's Domain Name Registration and try typing in a few web addresses you would like to have. If it's taken, you'll have to pick another one: http://eventurebiz.com/webhosting/signup/index.htm

Once you have selected a domain name (i.e. your-site.com) you can sign up for web hosting (done at the same time). Web hosting is where you can upload all your files to so that your web address (my-site.com) can access them and display them on the Internet.

Did that make sense? Keep an eye on my blog, I think I'll write a much better description with pictures soon about the difference.

In conclusion, there are 3 parts to getting yourself online:
    • design yourself a website
    • get yourself a domain name (www.my-site.com)
    I hope this was helpful.