1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design How do you use a template and change the images to ones you want to use?

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by augsep14, Jan 20, 2008.

1. augsep14

augsep14 New Member

For instance, lets say I pick a template - but I dont like their header/banner - how can I change it to one I've created and have saved as a jpg? or does it have to be saved as something else?
    Also, alot of the templates have extra photos throughout...how do I change those to the ones I want in there?
    Anyone?

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

image directory - you can rename the orig file, say it is called header.jpg to header_orig.jpg (incase something doesn't work with your new file). Then copy your new file into the image directory, rename it header.jpg Now you have replaced the old with your new file. Open your index.html in your browser and see what it looks like. Maybe you might want to edit the style.css file abit, look for the area which has your header.jpg and tinker around there. Maybe you want to edit the index.html file and tinker around there abit. An finally you could edit the psd file to change the look of something, slice it up and save the small parts as files that match in name to those that are in the image directory which would change your web completely. There is no end to what you can do and do you have to keep a jpg. No, you could have header.gif just make sure the style.css is looking for your new gf file. Hope this helps.

3. el_tenedor

el_tenedor New Member

Yes, Ishkey is right (as always).
    The images directory is in the "public_html" directory of your host. You can change any image at your website in the way Ishkey has described. If you rename the image file in the images directory be sure to change the path on all of the subpages (I mean in the subdirectories). It should be like ../images/file_name.jpg ("../" means "up one level").