1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design How do you make template expand with content?

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by showtime, Oct 27, 2010.

1. showtime

showtime New Member

So this is my first time with templates like this using photoshop. Ive made simple sites before in dreamweaver using tables and css.

Basically Im lost at how to do this. Im using the Nightclub Template. The bottom half where the content goes. When I put paragraphs of text in there the text overflows past the template footer. Basically goes outside the template.

An example of what I mean is [pristinehardwoodsonline.com]Untitled Document. On this site I used the background 1 pixel image trick to get it to keep expanding as needed.

Im not really sure how to accomplish this with photoshop templates. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. showtime

showtime New Member

nevermind. I see if you use the template exactly as is in dreamweaver that it will expand automatically. However if I change even just the glow color from blue to red in photoshop it messes everything up. I get big sections of white. Dunno what the deal is there but its beyond my knowledge. Actually the photoshop file seems to have those missing white spaces even before I do anything when I preview in Save for web and devices.

3. enigma1

enigma1 New Member

And this is why you should be using a plain text editor to setup the HTML. Image related tools like ps should be used for design, not HTML creation.

It's pretty much the same when you try to convert an html document into pdf using acrobat pro. It's just not efficient and the CSS can be so complex the converter will break.

4. showtime

showtime New Member

Im fairly proficient at making a relatively basic site using dreamweaver. Coding everything by hand isnt something I can or would want to do.

It seems like going the photoshop route makes it much easier to design fancier sites, but the entire slicing process just seems broken or odd to me. Seems to make things that are usually easy, harder. I dunno, maybe it will end up making sense to me.

5. enigma1

enigma1 New Member

Unless your DW has a framework built-in its not a suitable tool to create templates for frameworks. If you are planning to use a CMS or eShop or in general to have dynamic content, you will need to know the framework specifics, so a text editor is not a suggestion, but a requirement. You will have to go in and write HTML and possibly get involved with the server programming language.

PS, DW are good for making the design layouts. So unless you create few static pages, slicing has to match the framework template system or whatever you use for the dynamic content and that's a different process.

6. emma1

emma1 Banned

I have tried doing this with my web design and it's NOT WORKING. My layers are named as follows.
    ads_text
    rate_link
    index_link
    forum_link
    comment_link
    content_text
    first_frame
    empty_center (hidden)
    _bodybg_jpg
    Both the frame layers and the center layer aren't working. Is it because of my old version of Photoshop (7.0)

7. Peoplelink

Peoplelink Banned

I use css and div tags for my design, and use css selector ".clearboth {clear:both} and add this code before the ending div tag for the content area. Example <div id="clearboth"></div></div><!-- here ends the content area --> This will help the text not to overflow from the content area and cross footer, this will help to expand and decrease your content.