1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design How could I use a template here AND....

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by augsep14, Jan 17, 2008.

1. augsep14

augsep14 New Member

I really like the fibreglass template here and I've downloaded it, I like the way it's set up, the colors, etc.....

You see, I'm trying (hence the word "trying") to create a webpage/website for my sister - she practices holistic healing (I'm gonna need some after trying to figure out how to build a webstie!) HA!

Anyways - as I said, I'm trying to help HER out - well, she desperately wants her website to look like her business cards which she got from vistaprint.com
    http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/stu...w.vistaprint.com/vp/welcomeback.aspx?xnav=top

Anyways - at vistaprint.com - under free business cards, page 2, there is one that's blue with water ripples, this is what she has, and what she wants - she's wanting the blues and this water type thing as her header/banner logo at the top of each page - so I like the template I saw here, but was wondering how to put that at the top of the page.

I'm at a loss as to how to accomplish this..... anyone want to offer me advice?

Or does anyone know of a template that has water ripples like that business card in the background???

I know you guys are genius on this forum or I wouldn't ask...I've been reading for a couple of hours and taking notes, and have learned alot so far - it's about 1:30 a.m. - and I'm STILL AWAKE learning, while my kids are sleeping.... I'm gonna be TIRED tomorrow! But hey, if someone out there can help me figure this out - then it'll be worth it!

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE POSTS ON THIS FORUM FROM YOU EXPERTS! IT"S APPRECIATED MORE THAN YOU KNOW! THANK YOU!

Thanks in advance!

2. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

Not sure if posting files on here is allowed so I've sent you an email.

Cheers,
    CP

3. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

files are attached:

add the ripple_background.jpg to your image dir
    rename style.css to style_orig.css
    unzip style.zip and copy it into the dir where your old style.css is.

i hope she likes the ripples.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

4. augsep14

augsep14 New Member

Thank you - but here's my question...... how do I replace the heading/banner page that is already in the template with the one above, AND I would like to add the name of her new compnay to the image you posted above, and do a reflection. Like it's reflecting in the water, I have a tutorial on how to do it in Adobe Photoshop - haven't done it yet, but am going to try - but once I do, how do I tie the template in with my own images? The one above?

5. ishkey

like i said above, but here is alittle more detail.
    1.) right click on the image above
    2.) save picture as, keep the same name, just put it into the image directory where fiberglass is.
    3.) left click on above style.zip, click save, put it into your fiberglass dir.
    4.) rename style.css to style_orig.css
    unzip style.zip and copy it into the dir where your old style.css is.

now open index.html in your browser to see what it looks like.

5.) Look again in the image dir you will see 2 files (company_logo.gif and company_name.gif) these are the two that you can replace with your own. If you edit the jpg above and add a company name then you will have to edit the style.css file also. see code below:

/* Page Header : Company Name & Logo */
    #header_company {
    margin-top: 20px;
    width: 585px;
    height: 35px;
    float: left;
    background: url('images/company_logo.gif') no-repeat 137px 0px;
    text-align: left;
    }
    #header_company h1 {
    background: url('images/company_name.gif') no-repeat 160px 0px;
    width: 585px;
    height: 35px;
    }

Look for header_image.jpg in the style.css you have to either comment it out or remove it. You may find other pics that need the same work. Also check your index.html file.
    Make sure save style.css when you are done or it will not show your changes. :rolleyes: Hope this helps.

6. augsep14

augsep14 New Member

thank you - I haven't tried it yet, but i will - will let you know how it goes.... thanks for such a quick response...your GREAT!

7. augsep14

augsep14 New Member

One other question - if your willing to answer?

I now found another website I like the looks of - the saltandsoap template..... but that is all confusing because the tab at the top they included in their header. And I dont know how to edit it...

So here's my question.....

How the HECK would I recreate that??? With that ripple background?

You see, maybe you have a suggestion... Overall, I'm trying to find a nice blue or two toned blue background like that in the saltandsoap template, and to put those ripples at the top with a reflective logo -

I've been playing around with this all weekend and still can't come up with the right thing. Ugh.

So if you have any suggestions for me, I'd GREATLY GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks!

8. augsep14

augsep14 New Member

She likes

She likes www drlaman com and wants her site to look like that but with the water ripple logo that I'm supposed to come up with - so I guess it's sorta basic with what she wants with regards to text, etc... she wants to be able to do a newsletter like he does, and sell books, etc.. like he does... she also likes www loveapproval com also - I think love approval is done by inserting basic tables, right???

But instead, I wanted to use the template I mentioned above..... can I make it work?

whatta you think? I wish I had step by step instructions - with the kids needing me, and talking to me, I just can't focus.;)

Also, just curious, how did you learn all of this? I'm trying to teach myself how to build these websites, and just curious as to how all of you learned. Did you take a class, or teach yourself? Any web tutorials that you personally used?

Well, sorry for all the questions.... take care, and thanks again in advance for your help - it's appreciated MORE than I think you will ever know....:D

9. ishkey

I'll work on it and get back to you. I don't have to worry to much about the kids anymore, just work the wife the dogs the grandkids.

10. ishkey

Curious = Self tought
    Instructions = http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp simple to the point
    google = tutorials search for info to speed read

It seems you are at the start of the learning curve, no problem it gets easy as you move forward, you just are in that planning stage which makes your head spin and when it does stop and play with the kids. They will be better for it. As for your sister, holistic healing is not something new it was really brought back into the light during the 60s Rodale Press and Prevention Magazine, (we still use witch hazel in our house) now with the high cost of health care people are finally realizing the are alternatives. If they would just figure out that the mind plays the biggest part of healing, we all would live to at least age 117. "No doubt you will quote this proverb to Me, 'Physician, heal yourself!" <<Luke 4:23>> But he “did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief.”
    Ok so now that we have the power from within lets get started. After all we have to get our thoughts together and deceide whats important and what we can do. There's nothing like the first step of the journey. So your sister has given you all the items on her wish list. Right now is she like LoveGirl and has alot the say or is she like The Old Doc and is selling or would like to sell? These are the questions you have to ask. There is always time to add to the web, but kids grow up fast.

Q1.) She likes www drlaman com and wants her site to look like that but with the water ripple logo that I'm supposed to come up with - so I guess it's sorta basic with what she wants with regards to text, etc... she wants to be able to do a newsletter like he does, and sell books, etc..

A1.) The old doc has a store, well out of your league ... for now.
    When the time comes for a store look at Zencart. It can be incorperated into your web and there are new Federal rules as of Jan 1, 2008 for credit card sales. learning

Q2.) A newsletter can be emails like LoveGirl (she does seem abit young to talk of life experiences) and A2.) no she does not use tables. (just right click on any white space of that wed and then click view source do this on most webs to see how they wrote the site, learning.
    Or as a teaser on the index page which takes the reader further into the web.

Q3) I now found another website I like the looks of - the saltandsoap template..... but that is all confusing because the tab at the top they included in their header. And I dont know how to edit it...
    A3.) Do not worry about looks for now. Think about content, what are we going to say and how do we want to lay it out.
    The moment you deceide what is needed and you start putting it together, then the further you progress. You have learned alot, you feel accomplished, you can do more and play with the kids.

Now if that Template you have picked out will do all that you want, just start using it.... because it is time to put content (your sisters words) into in, so we can see what it will look like. You can always add to it or just as easily cut and paste into a new template the second web does become childs play, there are those kids agan.

You have downloaded a template, and uzipped it, inside we see:
    style.css = Cascading Style Sheets - Styles sheets define HOW HTML elements are to be displayed, throughout the web. They keep ever page looking like each other, so you code one sheet and it tells your browser how each page is layed out. You can edit this page or have more than one css. It can be external and you can use an internal one, say for just one page in your web to change it. saltandsoap.css has comments in it this will tell you what part of the page it controls. learning

images dir = where all your image files are stored
    The style.css refferences to those images for the main template look. You can edit or add your own pics. Other web pages can reffence pics in this dir.

index.html = is where you put your content and some html tags to adjust the look of the page, it is also your (home) page which tells browsers start here. html pages are what is served up to the viewer.

saltandsoap.psd = the file created by this fine site to create the template, which was used in photoshop and slice command to produce the pics in the image dir. psd files have Layers which are layed on top of each other to produce the look of the file. You can edit these layers to create a new pic (say ripples with a header).

1. What do we want to show in the web.
    2. What elementsdo we need.
    3. Get started
    4. Web Sites can always grow
    5. Do not get hung up on one item come back to it.

Plan your approach and go for it.
    Let me know how it goes. You are on the right path just go for it.

11. augsep14

augsep14 New Member

Your awesome ISHKEY - yes, the learning curve is what I'm in... everytime I think I've figured something out - my little ones need something and BOOM, it is like I go and forget what I've just learned.... plus, I'm not sure if I should use their program to do the website, or NVU, or FILEZILLA, etc... it's all a BLURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
    I will work on it, and give you the web address once I get "something" on line.........
    Like you say - it's just so hard to get it going in the beginning......

12. ishkey

NVU is old and is buggy
    I use CuteHtml pro 6 which is now AceHtml. You learn programig faster.
    CoffeeCup is really where it is at for the price and you can still download an old version for free which will knock the socks off NVU.

Also loaded in my pc is pspad - freeware HTML editor, PHP editor, XHTML, JavaScript, ASP, Perl, C , HEX editor. It always there if I right click a file I can open it in pspad get this one and load it in your pc.

Filezilla is great but i perfer SmartFtp client more power but a tad slower to load. free

TopStyle Pro is the only program if you want to edit and learn css sheets.
    there is a lite version but is nothing like pro.

Paintshop Pro for gaphics price is much less that Photoshop.
    IrfanView is a must have progam view resize more, pics on the fly. free
    These are the main ones there are others.

For php and perl i have installed Wampsever on my pc to simulate on my pc what a program will do on line.

If I were you, I would pick one of the templates and start adding content then I would play around with it to see what I can change and how it looks. Then you can look at a few others which may have something like newsletter just to see how it works and then bring it in to the template you worked on. Better to get something up than nothing.

One more option JOOMLA joomla.org - Content Management System and Web Application Framework. It's like a template but you work with modules in Admin section. Turn on those you want add some options. No real programming until you become crazy over it and the is a hugh following who add all kinds of modules.

Have fun!!!!