1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General Hi ! New Here. Can someone help with gamewebsitetemplate.psd

Discussion in 'General' started by Steve H, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Steve H

Steve H New Member

Hello...I cannot open the 'gamewebsitetemplate.psd' file ??? Upon starting in photoshop I get an error message stating (unknown data has been encountered about reading layer "g+" and will be discarded. Continue ?)
    The file options at this point allow for the options of "OK" - "Cancel" - "Read Composite Data"

I have chosen okay and I then get "g+ - hover"
    then "reading layer Twitter - hover"
    then "reading layer facebook"
    then "reading layer facebook-hover"
    then "reading layer shape copy 15"
    then "reading layer shape 28 copy 23"
    then "reading layer shape 28 copy 25"
    then "reading layer shape 28 copy 23"
    then "reading layer shape 28 copy 15"

Then it begins to load the file and just hangs there and wont open !
    Ive tried clicking "read composite data and it tries to open the file as well but, just hangs there forever never opening" !!!
    Does anyone have any ideas on whats going on ???
    Ive tried downloading the template package several times and retrying but, always the same results !
    Im pretty proficient in photoshop so Im stumped !
    Ive tried opening in Image Ready and the file tries to open without any errors but, just keeps reading forever.
    Im usin photoshop CS 8.0

Thank You

2. Mimoun

Mimoun Administrator Staff Member Director Verified Member

We are using layer comps and I don't think that layer comps are supported in Photoshop 8 we are using Photoshop 11,12 or 13 for the newest website templates. Photoshop 8 was released in 2003 so it's hard to still support this with our new designs.

However I will try to do a layer comps export for you later that may work for you.

3. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Layer comps was introduced in cs (8) http://www.photoshopcafe.com/reviews/PhotoshopCS.htm
    You can try opening ps, turning on layer comps (window > layer comps)
    then try to load the psd file.
    Sometimes backward compatibility for Adobe works and at times does not.

4. Mimoun

Not sure what the problem is if Photoshop 8 has layer comps support as the hover layers are placed in layer comps.

5. ishkey

You are saving the psd with max compatibility - mine is set to "Ask"

fc1.jpg

6. Mimoun

Yes all the PSDs are saved with max compatibility on.

7. Mimoun

Just did a check on the PSD file all the layers you get errors for have smart objects.
    You need to have at least Photoshop 9 to use smart objects.

8. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

I have CS2 (ver.9) and yes, it does support 'smart objects' but it still wont open those later psd files. Although a friend has CS4 (ver.11) and it opens that same file without a problem.
    There's has to be some difference between previous and later version smart objects types. :(
    I've also read that CS4's smart objects can have filters and some adjustments applied to them that couldn't be made in CS2's version without first rasterising.

9. Mimoun

Will work on this and try to make compatible versions. I will have to find all my old Photoshop CDs and DVDs—I believe I still have CDs going back to Photoshop 8. Not sure if the CDs will still work or even install, though.

10. Steve H

Steve H New Member

Hi everyone...My God cannot beleive all the support !!! Thanx.
    I played around a bit yesterday with the compatibilities and didnt seem to help but will try again and set it to "ask"!
    I mentioned Mimoun in an email that im in China and am stuck with ps1 on my laptop and have ps3 on my machine at home! Were puttting together a new site for Rc Helicopters and jets and want to impress the factory well be visiting soon over here. I came across this design the other day and fell in love with it !!!
    Ill give an update in a day or 2 as to how I make out . If worse comes to worse dont fret Im in China !!! about .50 cents canadian will buy a copy of PS anything here that I can use until I get home:sneaky:

Thanx again all
    Steve

11. ishkey

using cs3 I saved gamewebsitetemplate.psd in a tiff file format which may help solve your problem.
    it would seem this is a on going problem of adobe that they just can not wrap their head around.
    maybe someone with an earlier version can see if it works.
    forget the above, file limit size is 125meg my zipped file is 10.2meg but just won't upload.
    another solution is to just edit the images in the image directory or create one form scratch of what ever you need.

12. Steve H

Steve H New Member

Hey ishkey...thanx for trying.
    I tried a few more things with the compatabilities etc., and still no luck!
    I cant edit the Images as they are in the .psd file that I cant open ! or
    is the gamewebsitetemplate.psd using the jpgs in the mages folder ?

13. Steve H

Steve H New Member

sorry...is it using the jpgs and the png s ?

14. ishkey

when you downloaded the the whole template and unzipped it, you should have a separate folder named "images" which contains both png and jpg. These come from the psd and are the graphics the css file and html files reference to.
    what are you trying to change?

I was able to upload the tiff file
    you might need 7-Zip to unpack it.

Attached Files:

15. Steve H

Steve H New Member

Hey ishkey...Ive been trying to get at the the psd file (gamewebsitetemplate.psd) to do any editing !
    Thanx for the upload. Ill see what I can do with that.
    Usually any editing I would always use the main photoshop file for creation and save or export from there not try to edit jpg's or png's ?
    Yes - Im using 7z also and no problems with anything except opening the master file !
    Its definitely a version issue as I was able to open the gamewebsitetemplate.psd file on a friends machine using cs3 !

16. Steve H

Steve H New Member

well I tried the tiff. Same nonsense...Will not even open in photshop !
    Was able to open in Image Ready but no layers to play with !
    Thats why I never bothered with the jpg's and png's as as there are no layers to play with!Id basically be tryin to rebuild the whole thing from scratch - Reinventing the wheel! Much easier to do get cs3 :)
    Thanx anyway

17. Steve H

Steve H New Member

Ishkey - sorry...Im trying to change evrything graphical but, the interface ! Which is the beauty of it all. I merely want to replace Images to suit my purpose but not the color or layout theme.
    The plan is to use it for an online RC Model store. Helicopters, Jets, Boats and a few other little goodies.
    some friends have expressed their concern that it may be a little on the darkside for my business but, Ive been hiding from the lite myself for some time anyway :cool:
    a few layer tweeks on some lighting and maybe some layer color adjustments I think it will ROCK !!!

18. Steve H

Steve H New Member

Hey Everyone...I installed cs3 and all is well !!!

Can anyone point me to some quick tutorials on using cs3 ?

Ive never used photoshop for a web editor and not sure how to save this once Im finished with my graphics and how to ADD my own URLs etc...?
    Im guessing all is done in photoshop but, Im extremely unfamiliar with this new monster :)

Thanx Steve

19. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

20. Steve H

Steve H New Member

Hi CovertPea...i had already stumbled upon the vineyarddesigns site. It was a nice little helper. It wasnt too hard actually to get my head around cs3. Its a little intimidating at first as is most things! Ive owned cs3 for the past year but, have never had a chance to reallyuse it becaus my other job keeps me too busy and burnt out ! Im just playing around with dream weaver now to get some output to the web. Ive got at least half of the main page going now and will probably like it in a few days and can show everyone what Im up too. Thanx to u and everyone for your speedy responses and assistance thus far!
    Im looking forward to playing with some video later ! Video is by far my favourite ! I get bored with webpages very quickly :)