1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

hey everyone

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by KPBRennie, Jul 1, 2008.

1. KPBRennie

KPBRennie New Member

my name is Corilynn and I am from Rhode Island. I am a single mom of 3 beautiful girls! I found this site while searching for a website template to use for a website I have been trying to start for single moms and dads of Rhode Island. You all have done such a great job with your templates and I would love to recieve one also if someone wouldn't mind! Thank you so much and I look foward to getting to know everyone here! :D

2. KPBRennie

KPBRennie New Member

I just noticed that it will not allow me to post in the request section. Are you not allowing any more requests at this time??? Thanks again!

3. kathyper

kathyper New Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    As far as I know requests section is closed now.

4. angie1313

angie1313 New Member

Welcome to the forums!

What kind of site will it be?

5. KPBRennie

KPBRennie New Member

Oh I didn't notice anything on the boards mentioning that, sorry. thanks you for letting me know.

well, I am working on trying to start a group kind of like a playgroup for single parents in RI. I know how hard it is to raise children and find time to enjoy for yourself sometimes too so I figured I could try and start a support type of group for single parents. One where we can all get the chance to make friends and share our experiences. I have spoken to a few people and there is nothing like this already in RI that they know of and I would love to try to get it started. I am wanting my site to be used for all different types of things like a list of resources for single parents in RI who may or may not be part of the actual group, a calendar of events we would like to host, advice like a dear abby type of thing, and alot of the other things we would be doing within the group.

6. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Unless you know how to program, I would suggest you look at http://joomla.org/ , as your list of things looks like it is going to grow. Joomla is an Open Source Content Management Systems, which is put together with modules. Kinda like blocks, you start with the basic frame work Joomla and add what you need. Others can interact as well. It is the largest and most stable platform for what you might want to do and it's easy.

7. Linx

Linx Member

Hi Corilynn!

Welcome to the forum! You will find here a lot of useful tips and tricks.

Best of luck!

8. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Hello Corilynn all the way from Las Vegas.

Sounds like you have a lot of milestones to reach with the website you want. I'm not sure how much experience you have in designing your own website and coding in html, depending on that there are a few routes you can go.

It sounds like the elements that could work well with your site is a blog and forum. For a blog, make sure you go with WordPress. For a forum I like either phpBB or Simple Machines. All are free programs, however, I suggest if you want your website to be a real website you should go with paid web hosting, it's not that expensive.

What you would do is pick out a WordPress Theme online, there are many free ones out there, as well as a forum. Just type "WordPress Themes" and "phpBB themes" in Google to find them.

The nice thing about these is they don't require much knowledge of coding in html or php, however, you do need to know your way around the computer a little.

For the calander, here's a free one you can also get called Maian Calander.
    Click here to see the demo.

If you don't know how to code in html or php, you will need someone to take care of all this for you which could get a bit pricey, it totally depends on the project.

If you wanted to host with our company (I own a web hosting and development company called eVentureBiz) I would be happy to install all these programs on your hosting account for free. From there you could customize them on your own or have our design department do it for a price. But the install I could do no charge.

Now, if you don't know what a blog or forum is, see examples by clicking in my signature below.

I hope that points you in the right direction.

9. KPBRennie

KPBRennie New Member

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all your help. I really like some of the ideas that were offered. Was just curious though, when will the requests be allowed again??? I have some really great ideas and would love to see if someone could help me since I know nothing about creating a template of my own. Even though this forum isn't excepting requests right now, I'm hoping that there might be someone out here who could help! I wouldn't even mind just having a basic template that with each link pretty much stays the same just with the ability of myself adding text and images. Thanks sooo much!!!

10. Welcome to FWT
    Enjoy your stay :)