1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design Help with Logo - Travel Page Template27

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by Chevy396z, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Chevy396z

Chevy396z New Member

Hi All.

I finally have all my files uploaded to my server and have begun editting the template. I started with the logo on the page but can't figure out how to change it. The code for that area is (I *think*):

<!-- Start of Company Header -->
    <div id="company_header">
    <div class="add_shadow"><div><div>
    <div id="company_logo">
    <h1><span>Travel Agency </span></h1>
    </div>
    </div></div></div>
    </div>

<!-- End of Company Header -->

And I am trying to use a custom logo for my biz, whose code is:

http://sternbachmachine.50webs.com/sternbach_machine_logo.jpeg

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Mark

editted: corrected code for Company Header

2. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

Mark,
    I copied your logo, resized it to 368px X 368px, saved the file as "company_poster.gif" and replaced it in the image folder over the original image of the plane.
    Also blanked out that overlaying text on "company_logo.gif"
    Below is how it looks.

CP

Attached Files:

• page.jpg
      page.jpg
      File size:
      178.2 KB
      Views:
  3. Chevy396z

Chevy396z New Member

ahhhhh Thank you very much CP!

So the picture has to be in the image folder. Does it have to be in a .gif format (noticing that the ".gif" is dropped in the code)?

On a side note, I visited your beautiful country a couple of years ago and fell in love with the place :) And what are you doing up at this hour? LOL

Mark

4. Chevy396z

Chevy396z New Member

Hi CP.

I spent a little time playing, but can not, for the life of me, find "company_poster" in the code anywhere... I see the company_logo, and the company_header.

I've got the image resized, renamed, and uploaded into both my main directory and the image directory. Tried plugging it in, and still nothing :(

New logo is at: http://sternbachmachine.50webs.com/sternbachmachinelogo.gif

5. CovertPea

Will get back to you on this later today. I'm running late for work right now. :p

6. CovertPea

Forget about the code stuff for now. You only need to change the images that are in your image folder.
    The code stuff (instructions) just tells the computer where to position the images on the site page. (and also where to find those images, hence the need of an image folder)
    Remember, computers are nothing more than fast idiots. :p

7. Chevy396z

Chevy396z New Member

OK, a little progress.

I uploaded a pic called "sternbachmachinelogo.gif"

I renamed it "company_logo".

Clicked on "index" and viola! What I am not understanding is why couldn't I just plug in "sternbachmachinelogo" and see the same result?

Or is that the definition of a "template"? That is, I have to rename my files to suit the template?

Off to a meeting with a search and rescue team, will check back later :)

Mark

8. Chevy396z

Chevy396z New Member

Getting closer :)

Found the info I was looking for (ability to change picture names) in the css file :) However, it can't be editted at my host site. Guessing I have to re-upload it each time I edit it?

Mark

9. CovertPea

Umm, I've basically exhausted my extremely limited knowledge of html. So perhaps Ishkey or someone can help this gentleman out?

CP

10. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Ok CP I'll do my best to explain.
    Seeing that I live in the south, as they say here in the States - it's a southern thing. Kids get names when they are born and then parents call them by some other name and they come when called. Still can't figure that one out.:rolleyes:

Browsers (IE, FF. Opera, etc) those are the guys who interpret the code so you can see it on your monitor. In some ways they are very smart in others they are not. The thing to remember is they only display what you tell them to. The haven't, yet the ability to know your birth name Chevy396z and that people call you Big Block. They live in a very explicit world and by a strict set of rules to play by. Think of it this way, it would take you a few years to find me if I said " Next time you are passing through Georgia look me up." but if I gave you my address and instructions to my house you be here in no time.

It looks like from your web address you have the Totally FREE account. To have the ability to edit on the host and all those extra things they offer you would need to pay for an account. Then again you could always set up your own server at home, do what you want.

Hope this sorts things out.
    The easy way to remember is Browsers don't speak phone text message shorthand, you have to spell everything out.
    Correction - People who program computers are idiots.

I think I covered everything in your posts.

11. Chevy396z

Chevy396z New Member

Thank you very much for your time and energy folks! Much appreciated :)