1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics Help with Layers

Discussion in 'Free Graphics' started by ishkey, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

I'm trying to figure out how to add a semi-transparent layer as seen on the waterfall on top of 2 bug pics, one I added lighting. Both are to be used in a template.
    The waterfall is what it should look like, But I want the whole page covered and more transparent. Typed words will show on top pic underneath. My only worry is the branch may obscure the words if I go to transparent. (it would be nice to know how the waterfall was done with the background showing in the left upper corner. I'm thinking it is erased, but not sure. Maybe you can say!)
    I would like to perform the layer on img06 and img07 attached in pics.zip with a color #C1BB41 as this is the color of my right sidebar which is 4 inches wide. As you Graphpic Genius know, I'm all thumbs with graphics.

Attached Files:

2. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

I've read and re-read your post and am still not quite understanding what you're after. So, I've added a pic to see if this is close to what you want.
    Is the bug to be left clear at the top like the waterfall pic?
    Btw, that soft outer part of the waterfall is just a simple mask or feathered, cut and coloured overlay.
    The transparency can be made higher or lower, the page background colour that the transparent pic will sit on is an important part of how the picture looks in the end.

3. pezboy45

pezboy45 Mod/Design & Coder [Pro]

I don't quite under stand what ishkey is saying, either.
    But, I would love to help if I can.

4. ishkey

I'm glad you read it over and over. I'm still brain dead from having to close down my biz in this crappy economy. I read my post and I even confused me. I should have said, I need the 2 bug pics to look like the waterfall pic and ask, how is it done. You did great. Take a look. Do you have the file with the layers I can use, if you don't mind.

Attached Files:

• df.jpg
      df.jpg
      File size:
      137.4 KB
      Views:
  5. CovertPea

Hey, that's REALLY nice!!
    Here's them in full size.

6. ishkey

Thanks for all the info and the pics. Of course I am trying what you said but yet it does not look like yours. But I am learning and who knows maybe some day. I keep plugging along.
    I will code it after I finish yours.
    Thanks CP

7. CovertPea

David-
    I meant to ask you before, what graphics program are you using?
    I can send that layered file to you in either PS or PSP. You can see how it's put together then.

8. ishkey

The layered file would be nice to see how it is done, I've been told I'm a visual type.
    I mainly use Paint Shop Pro X and have Adobe CS3 Design Premium. Photoshop CS3 Extended.

9. CovertPea

I've zipped up the original psp and ps files so you can see how I did the transparency thing. Hope the psp version opens for you okay in pspx.
    Below is a tiny tut on how to make the mask part. There are many other ways to do it, maybe even much simpler, but it's a start.

PS Having problems getting that file uploaded to Mediafire. Will try again later.

PPS: Here's the link (had to go through "SaveFile")
    http://www.savefile.com/files/1846805

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.