1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Legacy Help creating a Photographer logo

Discussion in 'Archived' started by JDH, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDH

JDH New Member

Hi all, I have looked through tons of the posts on the logos thread and love everyone’s work, I would really appreciate your help. I read that the more info the better so hope this is not to long.

I am looking for a new logo that will have a graphic element and include my name: Jennifer Hensley Photographics. I want something elegant, chic, sexy and unique. Something that shows the customer right away that I provide more than a $20 department store.

I have changed from JDH Photographics to Jennifer Hensley Photographics as I think it is easier for people to remember me by name to tell their friends verses it was JDH... Please let me know if you think this change is a mistake. I would appreciate it if I could have a copy of the logo with layers so that if I ever decide to change photographics to photography I would be able to. Any opinion on photographics verses photography would also be appreciated.

1) What is your website address
    www.JDHPhotographics.com

2) Description of your website:
    I currently don't really like how the images are viewed on my website and plan to simplify and include flash. I am in the process of updating my work samples, then I plan to simplify and clean up my website. I am still going to use a Black background, and white text. I plan to add one accent color that will be a shade of teal, put my logo at the top (above or beside the links) and change how the links are shown so they are not the very first thing seen before the logo and get them onto one line. The design will be simple, clean, and include flash for showing work samples. I will also be changing the URL to match the new name.

3) List 3 logo designs you really like & why:
    This first one by Maria Bernal is my absolute favorite.
    Maria Bernal Photography I love how the graphic is
    used with her name at the top of the website and also used as a signature on the images. If you look at her blog at Blog Austin Wedding Photographer – Maria Bernal and arrow down the page a little it shows how it is used on a business card. I love the graphic and how it can be used with the text in various ways to fit the desired space.

Tampa Portrait Photographer, Baby Portrait Photographer, Maternity Portrait Photographer The text is easy to read and the “a” is unique, I’m not sure if the “a” would work on it’s own on a picture.

Yervant The text is easy to read and the “y” in the box is unique and could be used alone if needed.

lori nordstrom photography Simple, clean text and a simple graphic element, could use with or w/o tag line.

Allison Rodgers Photography Simple, clean text, could use with or w/o tag line

Tamara Lackey Photography Blog & Gallery Simple easy to read text and I like the graphic element. I like how the graphic is lower opacity but am not sure how it would work on a photo business card.

4) Requested size of your logo: Various. I plan to use the logo for all of the following:
    -Business cards: Some of my cards are black background some are White background
    -Promotional items.
    -Bag tags
    -Labels on photo packaging: My photo delivery boxes are a very elegant white on white striped box with a little sheen to them, I plan to put the logo on a belly band around the box.

5) Do you have any images/photos/clipart that can be used for the logo? This is not really applicable for me, I am looking for a unique graphic with my name not a photo/clip art element.

6) Any colors you prefer?
    I need to be able to print it in White on Black background and Black on White Background. My accent color I am planning to use is a shade of teal.

If you have any ideas for a tag line I am open to using one. The only thing I have come up with so far is “More than just a photograph” and have no idea if that is a good tag line or not.

Thank you so much for your help,
    Jennifer

2. GG

GG Active Member

Hi Jennifer :)

I've had a go at your request and come up with these. The last 2 images are the ones that can be used on a white background :)

JHLogo_1.jpg

JHLogo_2.jpg

JHLogo_1(white) copy.png

JHLogo_3(white) copy.png

3. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

Another great job GG! ;)

4. Watawaka

Watawaka Member

here's my try

[​IMG]

5. GG

GG Active Member

Thanks Covert :)

And nice design watawaka looking good ;)

6. guestgone

guestgone Guest

I would love to do your logo! I'm a graphic designer (currently a student) I do cheap cheap discounted work, but not free work, since I put a lot of time and efford into mine. If you're intereted, send me a pm :) also, you can use gstarr as a reference :)
    thanks

Please don't use our board as a way of obtaining paid work for yourself.

All services supplied by our members here is done for FREE.

Any further trolling posts by you will be deleted.
    Mod

7. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

(currently a student graphic designer)
    Try building a portfolio by giving some of your talent to others it will go a long way in the long run.
    "cheap cheap discounted work" - usually means sub-par and makes you sound desperate.
    Most of the people here who donate their time and talent do get paid for other work they perform off site.
    People see your work here or on your own site, contact you directly because of the quality. Then you don't have to be cheap.

8. JDH

JDH New Member

Thank you

Watawaka - you nailed it, I love it. The JH is perfect. If it is not asking to much can I see one other font option on the Jennifer Hensley part and get your personal opinion about photographics vs photography. One of my friends today said that they thought photography sounded better as it rhymes with Hensley. Thank you so much.

GG thank you for your time I really like your work.

If anyone else has any designs that they have also worked up I would love to see those as well, I may want to use a different design on items such as shirts and it never hurts to see other peoples ideas as well.

Thank you both for your help,
    Jennifer

9. Watawaka

Watawaka Member

I put some differents fonts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

about the photography vs photographics, I can't help you much beacause english is not my native language.

I used to see "photography" in companies names. But it's your call ! ;)

10. JDH

JDH New Member

If anyone else has any designs that they have also worked up or are willing to work up I would love to see those as well. Specifically I would love to see a couple variations on the graphic that uses my initials JH or my initials turned into a graphic that is a little more dressed up that I can use to sign work or on items such as shirts.

I love what watawaka has done but I would also love to see a couple "JH" designs that are more dressed up like Maria Bernals mentioned above that I can use as a stand alone item without the text.

Thank you so much, you guys are so great.

11. Watawaka

Watawaka Member

Hey I work a litte on this...maybe something more like you want

[​IMG]

so the JH can be use alone too (watermark)

[​IMG]

12. tmwilliams

tmwilliams New Member

Wow Watawaka you did an AMAZING job!!

13. NetsForce

NetsForce New Member

[​IMG]

Colors can be whatever you want.

edit: I should probably change the ends of the letters up so they're not straight edges...

14. Adan Daroski

Adan Daroski New Member

Everyone's going to be different on this. Some view that having a watermark absolutely ruins the image. Others approve having one for a variety of reasons
    Personally...

Unless someone is hiring me & the specifically tell me NOT put them on the web images, all my web-friendly images get a stamp of some sort. Its been incredibly helpful when they like it when seeing it on a friends page on Facebook or MySpace, they can track me down.
    Not to mention, I have one of those weird phonetically pronounced names. Even when the correct spelling is slapped on the image people screw it up.

15. NetsForce

NetsForce New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.