1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics Graphics Contest Entry

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by ishkey, Jun 2, 2010.

1. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

A few months ago I entered into a graphics contest with the prize being $700 dollars. I thought well why not.
    I could either win or loose, no harm in trying.

Along with a whole list of criteria, the Brief stated he wanted a old time microphone along the era of Ernie Harwell Broadcasting style microphone or older. (Ernie style on the left - older on the right)

Here was my two entries that I got 4 out of 5 stars on which made me think I was in the running.
    Then when it came to the end I got a comment posted from the Contest Holder
    "Really Really Nice - but to much detail"

So I didn't win but what I learned, was to submit something kinda ok get a star ratting and comments and then at the end submit your final graphic which is far better than your first one or two. Kinda like playing a game. I had lots of people copy mine and along the way the Contest Holder started to change his mind on what he wanted.
    I guess if you are paying and see something you didn't envision you can do that. Kinda stinks but then again so does a lot of things.
    I think I'll post them up on one of those by the graphic sites where people go when they need a graphic and are willing to buy and see if I can make any money off my hard work.

Attached Files:

• mics.jpg
      mics.jpg
      File size:
      55.1 KB
      Views:
  2. GG

GG Active Member

Those actually look great! Even if it did have a lot of detail then it's a good thing because then it'll look even better.

That's the only problem with contests is that others end up copying your work! :rolleyes: grrrr...

But those look great though don't know why he said there was a lot of detail :confused: but like you said put it up and sell it off but atleast giving it a try was good enough either way you'll still make something out of it. :p

Great work though. Just like the Drum, looks very realistic :D

3. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Thanks for your kind words GG - you gave me the idea awhile back to sell the graphics.
    I think my contest days are over. The coping is like flattery, makes me feel I must be good to some extent. The changing of the request and not extending the time to submit another entry is what got to me. The world is screwed up but that is life.