1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Hosting Free webhosting drawbacks

Discussion in 'Free Services' started by Linx, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Linx

Linx Member

Hello guys!
    I am in need of your opinion/adviсe.
    Tell me please about the drawbacks and problems of free web hosting I may run into.
    Thanks in advance.

2. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Hey Linx!

There are several drawbacks and issues you will have with free hosting. Here are a few:

1) Free hosting accounts typically are packed onto 1 server with lots of other free hosting accounts. This clog of websites severely slows down the server with each one fighting for CPU time. Results: your site may work slow and go offline from time to time.

2) Low bandwidth and limited disk space. You usually get 1-3GB of bandwidth. This translates to it's not a site designed for lots of traffic going to it. If there is a lot of traffic to it (or another on your sever) your site may go down. Also, disk space is usually measured in megabytes (50-100mb). That's basically enough space for a few pics and some text.

3) Free accounts are limited with tools your are provided with and can use. Many don't even allow FTP capabilities (which I could not live without). You usually won't have the ability to run PHP scripts or have a database which translates to no blog, no forum, no "contact me" form, etc.

4) Ads. You usually have to display banner ads on your site. Nothing is better than creating a nice website for yourself and flashing annoying banner ads to your visitors.

5) You usually have to wait extended periods of time for any customer service help. Paid customers get first help.

6) Usually you are not able to obtain your own domain name (e.g. no www.linx.com). You are forced to use either a subdomain of your host or a directory (e.g. www.geocities.com/linx)

7) You may have a hard time getting search engines to index your site well

8) Many don't give you an email account. So no "linx@linx.com"

In my opinion free web hosting is pretty much a waste. If you have to go the free route, use myspace.com or even better, facebook.com. They provide you with lots of tools.

Why don't you private message me and let me know your situation.

3. Linx

Linx Member

Thank you very much, John, for taking time to comment on this topic.
    Thanks for such an extensive and illuminating answer. Now everything is clear.
    Well... as for my situation, I'm just interested in this issue and trying to find out all pros and corns. I'm planning to create my own site, just simple test site, to try my skills; and now thinking over its content and design.

4. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Well let us know if you need any help. As I'm sure you've seen, I have a tutorials section on my website on how to set up a blog or Contact Me form, for example.

What program(s) are you planning to use? I primarily use Frontpage and Fireworks, but at times also will use Dreamweaver and Photoshop.

5. Linx

Linx Member

Thank you eVentureBiz :)

Well... I have some experience working with Dreamveaver and partially with Photoshop. But i'm just an amateur in this sphere.
    On FWT forum I found many interesting things that would be useful for me.