1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Web Design by Jedi

Discussion in 'Post Resumes' started by Jedi, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Jedi

Jedi New Member

I'm looking to add to my experience and get some pages for my portfolio, so I'm offering my talents for free to anyone who needs them (and is OK with the terms below) :)

1. You must provide your own hosting and domain name

2. I work with Wordpress, Joomla, and HTML. I will make the decision which to use based on your requests.

3. I have a 10 page maximum, and you must have ALL content outlined and ready for me to use for at least ONE of them when you request. I also request that, if at all possible, you come up with a very rough outline in MS Paint or similar software to give me a rough idea of where you want things to go.

4. I will complete your ten pages, with content, and will provide no further REQUIRED maintenance. However, I'm always available for support even after I finish your request if you ask nicely :)

5. I will test the website on my own server and show my progress there until it is ready to be moved over to yours. We will then work out the easiest, most efficient and most importantly secure way to go about transferring the website to your server. I will NEVER ask you for direct access to the primary FTP folder or your Hosting Control Panel.

6. Lastly, I ask only that you keep the (10pt font) "Designed by" text at the very bottom of the page, and allow me to add the website to my portfolio for future references.

Bear in mind, this is a free service. While I can't guarantee a million-dollar-value website, I can promise that I will do my best to ensure that your vision for the website is realized. I will design the website completely, including any graphics you wish to have added.

Please submit your requests as replies in the following format. While I may work on multiple projects at once, I will conduct the list by first-come first-serve.

What is the name of your website?

Describe the purpose of your website?

What is the primary audience of your website?

How many pages will your website contain?

What color scheme would you like to see in your website?

Please make a rough outline of your website in MS Paint or similar software, to give me an idea of where you want things to go?

What is your Web Hosting company?

Is there anything else I should know about designing your website?

Finally, give an estimate of the deadline date (Note: It'll help your request if you allow more time, unless you have a legitimate emergency requiring it to be done sooner

Jedi

2. Hi Jedi. It's so nice to have a cool person like you in the community. I just want to know, do you work with Thesis 1.8?

3. Scoutwebster

Scoutwebster New Member

I don't know if your still offering this but I need a template for a scouting website.

What is the name of your website? Lake Region District

Describe the purpose of your website? To provide information to all troops/packs/crews in Lake Region District, Gulf Ridge Council area.

What is the primary audience of your website? Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, and Venturers.

How many pages will your website contain? 10

What color scheme would you like to see in your website? Either red white and blue or forest green and khaki.

Please make a rough outline of your website in MS Paint or similar software, to give me an idea of where you want things to go? See attachments (red white and blue has the same layout as green/khaki, I just forgot to put it on green/khaki).

What is your Web Hosting company? GoDaddy.com

Is there anything else I should know about designing your website? The webmaster has to be able to post updates and such so that its visible, it would also be nice to have a horizontal menu if possible.

Finally, give an estimate of the deadline date (Note: It'll help your request if you allow more time, unless you have a legitimate emergency requiring it to be done sooner). If you can get it done this week (by Wednesday if possible) then thats great, otherwise anytime before March.

If it saves you time you don't need to make any pictures for it, I can design those myself.

Attached Files:

4. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Scoutwebster
    If I remember there is some templates I think in the Post Your HTML/CSS Forum which are really for Joomla, pertaining to scouting.
    Joomla is a CMS style program and would benefit you more in terms of uploading pics, info. calenders, etc.
    You might want to check it out or due a search on scouting templates in the forum search box.

5. Scoutwebster

Scoutwebster New Member

Ok, thanks. The only problem I have with Joomla is its what the current district site is made from and whoever made it (long before I joined) did a poor job at best on it.

Also, before I joined this site I had taken a look at SMDScouts website before and decided I thought it was to much like the Scoutlander site where I don't have full access to things such as raw html/css.

6. ishkey

Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system.
    Which means you set up the frame work and template (what it looks like) and you have Full Control as to what goes on. Just delete the old one off the server - install the latest version of Joomla - load in your template - setup who controls what with permissions.
    You can create just about any style you want and do what ever you need.
    With Jommla once the template is setup - you only change the content inside it as needed. Say the Leaders Change, you would open up Joomla with the admin control panel, go to the Leader Section you set up and change the names, save it, the view it - your done.
    Think of it this way, you build a house and each room you can change the deco to your hearts content as the walls are fixed and can not change, so things can not get screwed up like before.
    You can still make all the Graphics you want and incorporate them in the template.

Using a Static HTML/CSS template would mean you would have to learn how to code. Anytime something needed to change you would have to alter the code, unless you plan to have a "Hi this is us style website" which then it would be fine.
    Any thing special you wanted to add you would either have to be coded or you would have to install some sort of script or program, then link it to the website.
    You mentioned 10 pages above - do you realize the amount of code you will have to keep track of if something changes. You have a greater chance of messing up a html/css template than Joomla template.

7. Recidivist

Recidivist VIP Member

Joomla can be really awesome if you know what you're doing, but it's probably one of the most difficult CMS's to work with. If you look at some sites that use it, they look amazing and they often have some nice interactive bits, but I found it kept breaking on me when I started to customize it. Maybe it was my lack of knowledge at the time, but it seemed like it tried to make everything as complicated as possible.

I do agree with Ish though. Using a CMS is not only going to make having a decent photo gallery, calender etc. much easier, but it'll make just updating photo's/text on the homepage a lot faster and allow you to give others access to edit the homepage content too, without having to give them access to the ftp/acp.

There are plenty of CMS's out there..(e107, Drupal, WordPress, Chushy etc. <-- I've worked with these, among others, they may work for you, they may not. I tried atleast 6 or 7 before I settled on one CMS)

Here are some links that should help you find a good CMS:
    List of content management systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    15 free CMS options for Web Design Professionals Reviewed | Webdistortion
    Top 12 Free Content Management Systems (CMS) | SpyreStudios

8. Scoutwebster

Scoutwebster New Member

I know how to code alot of CSS and a fair amount of HTML but I think you guys are right about the keeping track of it, I hadn't thought about that because the site was supposed to be up quickly so that theres something on it that isn't a year old, I'll check out another CMS other than Joomla because when I tried the demo to see if I could just fix the existing site I couldn't do anything to it at all.

Thank you for the help and now I know where to come if I need any more.

9. ishkey

Hey Recidivist it's been awhile since I messed with Joomla, didn't think you could load a template into the demo. Do you know what Scoutwebster means?

10. Recidivist

Recidivist VIP Member

Uhm, I'm not really sure to be honest :p It's been a while since I've done anything with it either. Sounds sorted though, a fresh, easier CMS should sort it ;)