1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Tools Free Analytics

Discussion in 'Free Services' started by navyfalcon, Feb 24, 2012.

1. navyfalcon

navyfalcon Well-Known Member Verified Member

2. tomw

tomw Member

I just signed up with Google analytics and will report my findings.

Can you tell us which ones are you using and why?

3. navyfalcon

Can you tell us which ones are you using and why?
    -
    Yes - I use Google analytics to check my adsense. This is how you track adsense results
    I use Gostats for traffic and track the results weekly in a spreadsheet
    traffic can be recorded by new and returning traffic. I get about 50% of each (+/- 10%)
    repeated traffic gives better adsense results
    - To be able to do SEO properly, you need to track the results
    - Traffic and conversions ($$$) need to be tracked and changed for results
    People develop ad blindness, so minor (MINOR) changes need to be applied to the ads for results
    (position, color, type) all can have minor changes or you can rotate the changes
    For traffic, major and minor changes to the content. I noticed when I make changes, traffic doubles or triples.
    Best to make several minor changes instead of a big change.
    Also I use other analytics for backup or specific information. As you begin to use analytics, you will want some more information of some kind, use the analytics for that purpose with your main selection.
    -
    Question ?? What information do you need now and what for ??
    Google analytics works with adsense. I like Gostats for traffic. Some have heatmaps (tells where people click) so if you need heatmaps use the analytics that have them.
    -
    hope this helps
    falcon

4. tomw

tomw Member

I’m impressed with the services. Right now the sites I’m monitoring don’t have many visitors. Hopefully that will changed once I understand how to utilizing the reports. Can you tell me how best to get started?

5. navyfalcon

tomw

I’m impressed with the services. Right now the sites I’m monitoring don’t
    have many visitors. Hopefully that will changed once I understand how to
    utilizing the reports. Can you tell me how best to get started?

-

Yes

First, use Gostats for monitoring traffic. Track the results in a spreadsheet
    (http://www.byedesign.co.uk/ - the free one that I use for this purpose). I put the weekly dates on the top and the individual pages down the left side. This tracks traffic by the week. When you make changes (SEO of the page) you can see the improvement or disappointment. Change the disappointment to improvement using keywords and SEO on individual pages.

This is the results of one of my pages.

Standard Deviation Keywords
    Standard Deviation Formula (pg 4 #4) Wed 22 Feb 2012
    Standard Deviation Formula (pg 3 #2) Tue 28 Feb 2012

Without tracking, you can't improve your results. It takes about a week or
    two to see changes.

Gostats will give you a lot of information about traffic. Because it is free,
    use it for each page (list them as a separate site)
    -
    Your title
    <title>Downloads - wcms - wfiedler Content Management System - Google
    Project Hosting</title>

This change might help
    <title>Content Management System | software that is used to build websites</title>
    -
    hope this helps
    falcon

6. navyfalcon

You do not have a proper description.
    Just a suggestion:
    <meta name="Description" content="A content management system makes it easy for non-technical users to
    create and maintain fully functional websites.">
    -
    Add to or change the description for best results.
    -
    Google allows 150 characters (including spaces)
    use your best keywords.
    -
    hope this helps
    falcon

7. tomw

tomw Member

The metas I use for the description and keywords are these:

<meta name="description" content="w-CMS Content Management System and free web site templates"/>
    <meta name="keywords" content="w-CMS, wfiedler, free templates, Content Management System, web hosting service"/>

Can you point out why they are not proper?

8. navyfalcon

They are proper. What I meant is to be optimized for maximum traffic. Put your best keywords in the title as close to the beginning as appropriate, same for description. Keywords are for you and web page analyzers.
    Keywords checked in Keyword Discovery (a free keyword tool)
    http://www.keyworddiscovery.com/search.html
    Example:
    cms 502
    content management system 6
    web site templates 7
    web page templates 21
    free web templates 14
    free web templates business

free web design templates 13
    -
    You may want to check for different keywords. I would use cms instead of content management system.
    By changing your keywords you should increase your traffic
    -
    hope this helps
    falcon

9. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

At my age I like to make my life as simple as possible so I took my time setting up my analytics.
    This allows me to now just click and look at what is going on. (grey matter in my head slowing me down)
    My time is better spent on other matters. this is like an old fashion time management thing

I use Piwik for Analytics - a nice in laymens terms, easy to understand clean interface with lots of ways to look at your data no spread sheet needed.
    and Desktop Web Analytics For Piwik, it provides a graphical view right from your Desktop, fast and convenient written with Adobe Air. http://piwik.org/ or http://www.desktop-web-analytics.com/
    Heat Map by Labsmedia to see what interests viewers have in real time.
    and Google analytics which I visit every Blue Moon (I signed up thinking Google would give me more attention and they did)

Here is a view of Piwik (from their website) as you can see right to the point.

piwik.jpg

Here is a view using Desktop Web Analytics For Piwik - 1 week of data - easy with the pertinent data at your finger tips. Oh an you can export the data in a csv format.

Piwik stats.jpg

Another one showing Refer Type - where the viewers came from.
    The Search Engine line is not Search Engines but people that clicked on a link from them.

where.jpg

Here is a small section of a Heat Map showing just the menu from the entire page.
    It's easy to see where people click even where there is nothing to click on.
    You can view by way of a calender day, week, month, year.
    This is also very useful for those small changes mention in the post above.

click3.png

10. tomw

tomw Member

At my age I can relate to what you’re saying. I’m doing far less than what you’re doing now to improve traffic. In fact I really haven’t done anything yet other than signing up with Google Analytics. I too will look into your suggestion and see how that will work out. Thanks.

11. ishkey

Old school here - long time believer in the K.I.S.S. principal.

12. navyfalcon

Very good and informative post ishkey
    -
    some more information:
    ClickHeat is a visual heatmap of clicks on a HTML page, showing hot and cold click zones. ClickHeat is an OpenSource software, released under GPL licence, and free of charge.
    http://www.labsmedia.com/clickheat/index.html
    -
    Also Google analytics has something similar. Try it for a start.
    -
    falcon

13. ishkey

No thanks - the data I have accumulated on my server with ClickHeat is to important to start anew.
    Why don't you give it a try and post up your findings then we all can compare the two.

14. tomw

tomw Member

Looks like Google also has those reports also. I will stay with it for now since Piwik needs to be installed in the server before use. Perhaps in the future I will try it and compare the differences.

BTW, Google dose have the heat map thing.

15. ishkey

What ever works for you.

I started long ago with phpMyVisites which transformed into Piwik (pre-google)
    Also installed AWStats and one other old one, on the server. Now open source is offered by all Hosts.
    I am not a fan of Software as a Service or Clouds.
    All visitor interaction data stays under my control and Piwik offers more privacy features.
    Not to mention software on my server allows me to to use the servers Cron command to schedule my tasks.

If you want to increase your exposure on the net, then not only do you need Google but also Yahoo SiteExplorer and Bing Webmaster Central.
    The good news is Yahoo! Search has merged Site Explorer into Bing Webmaster Tools.
    What does that me to you? Just head over to Bing Webmaster Central, register, add your info and add one small line of code into your head section of the index page like so,
    <meta name="msvalidate.01" content="### given by Bing Webmaster tools" /> (or at least at the time I joined).
    Now you will be indexed on all 3, the simplest SEO way to move into the Big Leagues.
    Free SEO just took a small bit of your time.
    Remember you will gain new information about your sites from the perspective of these three giants.
    Pick the one you like to use the most for your stats and once a month review the other.

But I still think our resident expert Falcon should do an in-depth comparison and post his findings.

16. navyfalcon

I use Google Analytics to track my Google Adsense and record in the spreadsheet with my weekly traffic.
    This way I can compare the traffic to the Adsense. The only reason I mentioned Analytics for checking
    similar to Heat is some have Analytics and could try it. ClickHeat is far superior, particularly for tracking
    for Adsense and affiliates. The free analytics are personal preference. I use several (maybe because they are free)
    but it helps me to track the information I need.
    -
    I am curious what other people use. Tracking traffic, Adsense and affiliates, and position all need information, so I use several analytics.
    -
    falcon

17. ishkey

It would be interesting to see what others use.
    Maybe you could elaborate on those you use pointing out the pros/cons.

18. navyfalcon

Item 1. I use Google Analytics to track my Google Adsense and I record the changes by the week. That way I know which pages are making money from Adsense. Mechanical/Hydraulics is the leading page (I don't know why).
    Second is TI Emulator (because I direct all math pages to it). Presently I am developing Red Crab Calculator pages for schools, which is a good alternative for TI and it is free. Remember my targeted audience is schools. You should know what your targeted audience is and work to improving that traffic. Also my web page is information for students, so all I do may not be appropriate for you.
    -
    I use Gostats to track my traffic weekly (they send my results every Monday) so I record my traffic in a spreadsheet and also the Adsense by the page. Adsense also tells me which type of ads are most productive. It turns out to be my horizontal banner text ads. The picture ads do not do as well.
    Since I record them in a spreadsheet, I can get results a month or two past and see how they change. By the way, the greatest traffic does not get the most results in adsense. I am not talking about affiliates now, just adsense. Also traffic varies by the days in the week, with the middle of the week being the most and weekends being the least. Also holidays being lower (it tracks as schools or students need with more traffic before midterms and finals).
    -
    I also notice when I make changes, traffic increases. Students want the fastest and easiest way to do their classwork so they have more time to play. Learning is not a motivator. Best to make several small changes than one big change.
    -
    hope this helps
    falcon

19. navyfalcon

Analytics are used to track traffic (visitor) information. The amount, what pages they visited, where they came from, what keywords they used, etc. Some analytics are better for some things. That is why many people use more than one.
    What Analytics do you use (if more than one please state)
    Why do you use those ?? Have you tried others. We are trying to help by suggesting the possibilities. Please, only free as some of us are not financially affluent enough to afford all the software that one should need.
    Also we want to show what can be accomplished with free software.
    As for this post - we need all the help we can get
    -
    Thank You for all your support
    falcon

20. navyfalcon

My son just gave me a new computer. It has win 7 on it. I had a Compaq with win xp (old system at 750 m)
    I am learning how to use the new system. It has wireless so I had to find drivers and download them. This is what I have been doing and why I have been absent from the forum. By the way, D-Link wireless needs drivers to work on win 7 as it will not "plug n play". Drivers are available at D-Link support.
    -
    falcon