1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Websites Food Site comments please

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Wrkitout, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Wrkitout

Wrkitout New Member

I've had this site up since 1995 in one shape or another. It wasn't until we got the domain that I decided it needed an overhaul. It's not elaborate, just user friendly and very functional .Recipes and much more, all free.

Appreciate Comments

http://foodforu.ca

2. Wrkitout

Wrkitout New Member

Wow 93 people had a look since I posted that I wouldn't mind some constructive comments on http://foodforu.ca , not one comment. As I'm still am waiting to see if my request is honored for a template, thought I'd play with this one.

3. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

The site does have lots of info, but the navigation has alot to be desired. It could use a few more pics and more color than just red. Remember Preperation and Presentation go hand-in-hand, works for food and websites. I can see why you said in another post you are looking to redue it. 25,000 recipes!!! hope they are stored in a database.
    Maybe something like this...

Attached Files:

• mini.jpg
      mini.jpg
      File size:
      76.7 KB
      Views:
  4. deyounggerry

deyounggerry New Member

I liked the clean and simple look. I agree about the pics. Your page is too short and pictures of featured dishes etc. will make people want to explore further. Wow, I looked again and found no graphics except your chef on the front and your awards. I think you have a really nice site but it could use some visual appeal. Anyway, the price is right. Good luck.

5. Wrkitout

Wrkitout New Member

Page too short???

OK, I have to agree that it's too short. How would I lenthen it? BTW I like the mini Ishkey. I need more room but don't know how to increase it.
    I hope to figure it out, may have to resort to an image map which I hate to do.

6. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Read your PM and post. Only your index page uses the css file and it doesn't matter. Just type in what you need and your page will grow.
    Image Map! you only have one image.

7. MissFish

MissFish New Member

The site is easy to navigate and to use, but i agree- some more images need to be used and some more colours- its looking a bit bland at the moment. It wouldnt take much to spruce it up!
    Good luck!

8. Wrkitout

Wrkitout New Member

Well it's looking fine... well to me atleast ;)

Well I've worked on it quite abit over the last little while, have added
    new images, a scroller, local restaurant listings etc., and many other things in the index. Check it out, I'd like your feedback.

9. Stagecoach

Stagecoach New Member

feeedback

I would suggest bringing the menu to the left side and sliming it down a bit. The images as many have mentioned could use some improving and I would also say to standardize the fonts and colors used. Maybe even standardize the way text and forms are displayed, some are centered and some are left aligned...

good luck

10. jefflavoie

jefflavoie New Member

Hi,

The resolution on the images on the first page is not so clean. It would benefit your site, I think, if you learned how to handle image resizing better or get a software that can do this nicely. Adding a little touch like a border on the images would help to make the page look more professional. I'm looking at it on a screen that is 1024 px wide and there is a large empty area between the content and the sidebar menu which makes the menu not well integrated to the rest of the page. The header itself is nice (nice font, colors) but the resolution of this image is also unnecessarily compressed and blurry.

On pages like "Kitchen Myth", you use a graphic to display the text but this serves no real purpose, loads slower than real text and looks less good because the image file is heavily compressed.

I like that the page is simple and not cluttered with useless items. There also seems to be a lot of quality content. Just revamping the images will go a long way to make it look nicer and more inviting :)

JL

11. JasonOne

JasonOne New Member

Your site is very informative and I learn more recipes there. Thanks for sharing it here. I have no comment against it.