1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General FileZilla, Quanta Plus, Ubuntu...No like .psd files?

Discussion in 'General' started by gashog, Nov 9, 2009.

1. gashog

gashog New Member

I downloaded a couple of templates and tried to upload them, as is, to my isp's free ftp space (10 meg). I can move the files around so I.think everything is working. The only thing is that the graphics are gone. It's plain text (not that there's anything wrong with that!!;) ) except for a couple of jpegs.
    I tried switching from auto to binary in FileZilla but I get the same thing.
    I use Gimp 2.6 which opens the Photoshop files no problem.

I'm stuck. It has to be something stupid.

2. gashog

gashog New Member

What am I doing wrong?

Graphic resized by ishkey to fit screen. Please be more thoughtful when posting.

Attached Files:

3. gashog

gashog New Member

Somehow, the link between the .html file and the .css file has been broken. Any ideas?

4. gashog

gashog New Member

Whada ya say Ishkey?
    Can you give me a hint?
    Help me out and I promise to keep my graphics small!:D

5. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

I was trying to give you a hint 4 hours ago when the power went out with the rain we have been having.

Sounds like your directory structure on the server is not like that of your pc.
    If you used one of the templates here then the "css" file and all the "html" files should be in the root directory and you should have just grabbed the images directory and dropped it into the root directory of your server.
    By the way Apache servers root directory is "public_html" not the "www" directory.

Remember in your code you tell the browser where to look, just like on your pc.
    See if that works for you. To me that's what your screen grab looks like.

6. gashog

gashog New Member

LOL Thanks ishkey.:D
    I came to the same conclusion.
    I don't know why I can't just drop everything into the /work directory of my isp's server.:confused:
    I don't know how the "link" line navigates to the css file. I tried copying the css file into every directory that I have permission.
    I tried making my own directories in the root so that the link in the index file could navigate up a directory but it didn't work. I'm pretty rusty. I'm missing something.

7. ishkey

Basic Directory Structure 101
    root directory = public_html
    See the part in blue - means LOOK IN the root directory, find file style.css
    Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" [COLOR="Blue"]href="style.css[/COLOR]" />
    See the part in red - means LOOK IN the root directory, look in work directory, find file style.css
    Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" [COLOR="Red"]href="work/style.css[/COLOR]" />
    From your first post
    public_ftp is just a place to store files. You upload and download them. It's a parking lot - no more, no less.

Attached Files:

• dir.jpg
      dir.jpg
      File size:
      20.4 KB
      Views:
    • pub.jpg
      pub.jpg
      File size:
      2 KB
      Views:
  8. gashog

gashog New Member

I'm still not having any luck.
    I tried adding "work" to the link.
    I tried cutting and pasting your code above into my link.
    I tried replacing my code with your code.
    I tried creating a directory called "styles"

I'm still missing something.

I even tried loading the template into Quanta and saving it as a project, then uploading the whole thing.

Still no styles!:confused:

9. gashog

gashog New Member

Should I force utf8?

10. gashog

gashog New Member

I'm still playing with it. I may have to call my ISP.:(
    Nah! They won't know.:rolleyes:

11. ishkey

public_ftp is just a place to store files. You upload and download them. It's a parking lot - no more, no less.

You have to put your files in the root directory which is public_html on most servers.
    If your HOST uses some other root name then put them there.

12. gashog

gashog New Member

Ok. Root directory is "work"....Maybe!
    I can create new directories in "work" or delete and recreate "work" if I want to.
    I can create new directories in the same directory as "work" (I think that "/" is actually the real root directory but any "index.html" file is invisible unless it's in "work").
    The isp FAQ says that everything goes to[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] ftp://webusers.warwick.net/work/[/FONT]

I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong.

[​IMG]

On the server side, you can see the two default directories.
    "/" and "work". Together, that would be "/work".
    I would call "/" root but the isp wants html etc in "work".

I've tried everything I can think of without changing any code (except for experimenting with the "link" line as per above).

Next question is....is there any other way to apply styles, given what I have to work with? (A Unix server with just two directories and the root being one directory up from where they want the website.)

Oh....P.S. You'll notice that the file sizes don't match, local to remote. That's because they're different templates. I should have changed directories before I took the screen shot.

13. ishkey

I see on the pc side there is also a "css diretory" is that part of your template?
    Could you post the the code that is in the head section of the index.html
    located between the "<head> and </head>"

Use the # button on the menu and put your code in between the "[ CODE ]your code goes here[ /CODE ]"

14. gashog

gashog New Member

No. I created that directory and wrote the address into the link to try to get the webpage to find it....It didn't work.

Code:
    <head> 
        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/> 

<title>Dog care template</title> 
        <link rel="stylesheet" href="work/style.css" type="text/css" charset="utf-8" /> 

</head>

15. gashog

gashog New Member

One more think I noticed is that my isp tags the bottom of my page with a link to their home page.

16. ishkey

just re-write the line like this
    Code:
     <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css" />
    save the file and upload it again.

If "WORK" is your root directory and your style.css file is sitting there, you do not want to tell the browser to go look in another directory named "work" which you did not create in the ROOT DIRECTORY, since it does not exist.

Hard to explain so do this make directory called "work2" and upload it to your root directory which in your case is named "work" or create one one the server if you know how.

Now go look at it and you will see that it is just below the "images" directory.

Who is your host
    (what a dumb host - how are you to understand the basics set up for every server, they make harder for everyone- dumb dumb dumb)
    I'll bet it's a Free Host - therefore the link - nothing is for free.

17. gashog

gashog New Member

That didn't do it.
    I created a "work2" directory parallel to "work" and copied the .css file into all three directories....actually, four. I even copied it into "images".
    Then, I deleted "index" from the server, edited the link with your code, saved it, and re uploaded it.

How hard would it be to integrate your styles page with the html file?

I'm totally new to the whole "styles" thing.
    The last page I wrote was pro'lly 8 years ago.:rolleyes:

Oh...and free???
    Hardly!:rolleyes: It's the local phone company, who I try to help keep in business.
    I have a couple buddies that work there. (small town).
    There server was probably set up 20 years ago and hasn't evolved.

18. gashog

gashog New Member

Ya know....there's a hidden file; "index.html~" in the directory that I unzipped everything into.
    Any idea what that is?

19. ishkey

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPP :eek:

Are you on speed, to much caffeine, what????????????????????????????
    Read what I wrote.

I just wanted you to make a empty directory so you can see the directory structure.
    Nothing more nothing less.
    Did I say move copy put take run to the store??? NO

You are making this really hard.

Now that my fried brain is cleared...... :D

Lets try this again - delete all the junk in your root directory.

1. Just change the line of code in the index.html and put it in your root directory which is named work, just drag it over there.
    2. Drag your style.css file into the root directory.
    3. Make sure all your graphic files that are to be in the images directory are there. Drag it over to the root directory.
    4. Make sure any reference to the graphics in your index.html file point to the images directory.

Attached Files:

20. gashog

gashog New Member

Still no styles.

I deleted everything in the "work" directory, re uploaded everything that was in the zip file into "work", including the photoshop file and the html~ hidden file.

[​IMG]

The photos from the image folder appear and the page layout is correct....just no styles.:confused: